I just cannot decide between these subs... Need solid advice!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I think you should look into the kappa perfect build, go with two of those and I think you will be more than impressed with the results. Check out the diy section for details on this particular sub setup.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
i woudl still go with the dragons, also in shipping you get what you pay for.. these are big and heavy.. the shipping is going to be expensive.. especially if you want them in 1 piece. The value is still there.

i mean these are huge 20" square.. at 105 lb's each.. add to that the safe shipping containers that wont crumble from the weight just the packaging is costly for any subwoofer. plus insurance!!

Chopin_Guy

Chopin_Guy

Senior Audioholic
I am looking for a sub that has good output.
If output is what you want....and you seem to like the ED products why not go with the A7-900. This is more than your budget by $500, but when considering the cost of the Dragons + shipping two of them--the A7-900 is not much more.

I don't know if anyone on this forum has one or has heard one....but this thing in newly resdesigned and is a monster at 400lbs....which they will ship for free...check out the response graph on that thing....it certainly has output capabilities...

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Of the option listed the submerssive would be the best home theater sub you could get.

However if willing you could put together a pair of DIY subs that would smoke or match the subs on the list.

If unwilling to use that approach.

I will toss in the JL Audio subs.

For SQ and build quality I've not seen many equals.

Though for Home theater the submersive would be my first and only choice on your list.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I think you should look into the kappa perfect build, go with two of those and I think you will be more than impressed with the results. Check out the diy section for details on this particular sub setup.
with his budget he could actually do an LMS build.

The Audiopulse LMS sub is the best driver on the planet for home theater that I'm aware of.

In the right box it is super flat to very deep frequencies with very high volumes.

N

Nishik

Audioholic Intern
I might as well just do that then....

with his budget he could actually do an LMS build.

The Audiopulse LMS sub is the best driver on the planet for home theater that I'm aware of.

In the right box it is super flat to very deep frequencies with very high volumes.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would really consider the ED P7-650. The only reason why no one else is seconding that one is because no one else has heard it. I think this thing would rock if anyone would ever try it. Depending on your listening situation and your room, it might be perfect. Seriously, call up Elemental Designs and ask them about P7s vs dual A7Ss for your situation. Outside of that, I would go Dragons, although Pheonixs would have a lot more sheer output. The HSU ULS is a great sub, but one alone won't match the other options on your list for output, although in sound quality it can. It does look the best out of all of them though, and two of those would kill. For a single sub, the Submersive is the best in terms of performance.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
honestly all of these subs are probably better than 90% of whats out there you really cant make to big of a mistake. if you get antsy about it sell it or them later and try a different one

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I might as well just do that then....
If interested start a topic in the DIY area.

Are you a woodworker?

What tools do you have?

Do you want a simple build or the best build?

Patrukas777

Patrukas777

Senior Audioholic
Svs Pb13 - Ultra

the svs pb13 ultra is awesome. I just got mine two days ago...its awesome. I agree with the others. You really can't go wrong with any one of the subs you listed. I will say my HT sounds like a whole new "KICK A$$" system. Im very happy, and I will be purchasing a 2nd svs ultra in the next month.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I would get a submersive. Supposedly it easily outperforms dual Ultras.

I really wouldn't go this far with a statement such as "Easily Outperforms"
You are talking about 2 subs compared to 1. Both subs are at the top of the heap here.... they both have their +'s in different areas with sealed vs ported. If it was a choice between Dual's of either, now thats a fair comparison, but a difference of almost $1K after shipping.

Here is a good quote from someone who has run through a number of these subs... a very good writeup.. :)

Originally Posted by rossandwendy
Ok, here is my disclaimer: I am only one guy and my opinions are valid for my ears in my room only, YMMV. And, it is not an exaggeration to say that the Submersive, Ultra, and Conquest are all incredible performers, all at or near the top of their class, and most enthusiasts would be thrilled with either.

After owning each simultaneously, with way too many hours experimenting, calibrating, EQ'ing, and demo'ing, here is my brief summary:

SVS PB13-Ultra
Aesthetically this is the stunner of the group, my duals were Rosenut and gorgeous and I thought the metal grill was a great look. The Ultra also wins in flexibility with the 4 tuning options, PEQ, room comp, and continuously variable phase. However, in a large room I would not use the 10hz or sealed tunes as they scrub off too much dynamic headroom which for my ears is a huge factor in subjective sound quality when watching movies. The PEQ is useful if you only have a single problem in the frequency response but I ended up needing more flexible EQ so after adding an SMS-1 I did not use PEQ. I never used the room gain control because in my room I needed all that gain. And, I found it easier to tune phase using the receiver's sub distance setting so the phase control ended up not being needed (but would seem useful if calibrating multiple subs in different locations). SVS support is tops in this industry. Ed Mullen is a rare find and he is gifted at explaining the technical in an understandable way and he will make sure you are getting the best out of your sub.

Epik Conquest
This thing is a beast, I seriously did not visualize just how massive and room-dominating it would be (more than dual stacked Ultra's due to the black and the depth). No tune options, fixed at approx. 19.5hz. Blessed with a stunning 18" driver, incredibly robust and overbuilt. Two 6" ports meant zero port noise even under extreme circumstances. Ironically, the easiest sub to move around in my carpeted room because without rubber feet it slid easily. Support wise, not sure how things are now but a year ago when I would email owner Chad I'd get no response, I think he was too slammed with rapid sales growth, but initial phone conversations with him proved he is a good guy who is extremely passionate about his work.

Seaton Submersive
One of the best features of the Submersive for me is the relatively small size and the way it essentially disappears in my room visually - it's roughly the size of a single Ultra while housing dual 15" drivers. The black finish is rugged and aesthetically is just fine by me because the size is so unobtrusive. The Submersive has the highest quality and most expensive amplifier of the three. Due to the opposed driver design this sub does not waste any energy in cabinet vibrations, so my Gramma sub platform was not needed. Unlike the other two subs this is a sealed-only design. In terms of support, well, owner/designer Mark Seaton is one of the current legends in the audio world and this man knows his stuff. Period.

Sound quality comparison
Aah, this is where it gets tough and ultimately very subjective regardless of any measurements and objective criteria, because speakers and subs DO have their own signature sound to some degree, at least to these ears. The difference between these three would probably seem subtle to some folks. To my ears the Ultra and Conquest were more alike than different much of the time - both are very clean and powerful and do well on just about any movie or music you throw at them. At times I did find the Conquest's amazing driver to sound more effortless and less strained than the PB13, with a somewhat bigger more diffuse room-filling sound. The Conquest needed more EQ to tame a room-induced hump at 37hz but after correction it gave slightly cleaner sound than the Ultra. The Conquest was able to produce dynamic peaks about +3db louder than a single Ultra, with never any sign of stress when pushed to the limit. Overall, I really liked the sound of both but slightly preferred the powerful ease of the Epik, though aesthetically the PB13 was preferred.

After owning the PB13's and Conquest for nearly a year, there was still something about the sound that left me slighty unsatisfied - essentially, possibly due in part to room issues, I sensed I could do better in the area of midbass power and dynamics, and overall musicality. After much research my hunch was the Submersive might fill that void, and after hesitating on the purchase for more than a year I finally bit and ordered one up from Mark in the fall of '08. The Submersive, in my system, is producing what I was craving: startling and uncanny dynamic power in the very important midbass, while the sealed design rolloff is coupling perfectly to my 2500cf room gain to extend flat to 10hz. A single Submersive has managed to provide the highest peak SPL readings in my room on WOTW, and it does so with a smooth effortless punchy attack that often leaves me slackjawed. When pushed hard it has never made any noise it shouldn't. On both movies and music, the Submersive produces the most natural and well-integrated bass of any sub I've owned - it just has that 'rightness' to my ears.

I am quite sure if you choose the Ultra you will be elated for many years to come. If I was not such a picky SOB I would have remained with the PB13 and avoided a lot of time and expense and an at times unhappy wife, but for me the quest has ended with the Submersive and that's all I can ever ask out of a piece of audio gear.

Cheers,
Ross

P

petty77

Enthusiast
good for moives

Is the A7S - 450 Subwoofer good for movies? I see it has an ice amp, I have a pioneer eliet sc-27 with an ice amp, would this be a good match? I have 7002 definitve for fronts. Would my my sc-27 be enough to run this?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Is the A7S - 450 Subwoofer good for movies? I see it has an ice amp, I have a pioneer eliet sc-27 with an ice amp, would this be a good match? I have 7002 definitve for fronts. Would my my sc-27 be enough to run this?
The amp in the receiver and the amp in the sub have absolutely no correlation what so ever...

They have chosen to design a sub with the proper power required to meet its performance, thats all you need to worry about....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis