I' having troubles with my reciever playing audio from my turntable

C

Cole hernandezz

Audiophyte
I have a Integra dtr-30.4 and an Audio technica at-lp120xusb and I have my connections right but im running into a problem. My records are only playing through the tweeters and I dont know why, I can rule out the speakers because they play normally with a digital connection but I'm trying to figure out if the problem lies within the reciever or the record player. The reciever doesn't have a dedicated phono port but that shouldn't matter considering I've played a different player through the aux port. The only difference is that this player has a ground cable that I can't screw into the Integra because it doesnt have one to allow me to do that. I dont think that is the problem but it may be. If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.

P

Paul-H

Audiophyte
The problem is likely that you old turntable had a preamp built in which boosted the signal to line level and your new turntable does not so the signal is far to low for a AUX input. To use it you will need a Phono preamp.

Thats why you are getting almost nothing from the speakers.

Hope that helped.

Paul

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Integra dtr-30.4 and an Audio technica at-lp120xusb and I have my connections right but im running into a problem. My records are only playing through the tweeters and I dont know why, I can rule out the speakers because they play normally with a digital connection but I'm trying to figure out if the problem lies within the reciever or the record player. The reciever doesn't have a dedicated phono port but that shouldn't matter considering I've played a different player through the aux port. The only difference is that this player has a ground cable that I can't screw into the Integra because it doesnt have one to allow me to do that. I dont think that is the problem but it may be. If anyone could help me out it would be much appreciated.
You do need a dedicated phono input. Your aux port requires a volt for full modulation. Your turntable will at most produce 5 mv. In addition the turntable requires RIAA equalization.

So you need to purchase a phono preamp to go between your turntable and Integra.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
It took me less than a minute to find this in the description of his turntable on the Audio-Technica site-

"But in addition to the USB output, the turntable also comes with a detachable dual RCA output cable and is equipped with a built-in selectable phono preamp so you can connect directly to your home stereo, whether it has a dedicated phono input or not.".

Try another source- if you had to turn the volume control up to maximum and all you heard was treble, turn the volume down to minimum and set the switch to LINE, as it shows in the manual. Read the manual.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
It took me less than a minute to find this in the description of his turntable on the Audio-Technica site-

"But in addition to the USB output, the turntable also comes with a detachable dual RCA output cable and is equipped with a built-in selectable phono preamp so you can connect directly to your home stereo, whether it has a dedicated phono input or not.".

Try another source- if you had to turn the volume control up to maximum and all you heard was treble, turn the volume down to minimum and set the switch to LINE, as it shows in the manual. Read the manual.

OP, highfigh's post is right-on. If you don't understand it, just switch on TT's built-in phono preamp and connect RCA's to any line input available from your receiver. I have the same TT and it appears you were going to a line level receiver input without the TT's phono preamp engaged.

C

Cole hernandezz

Audiophyte

Thank you, I completley skiped over that detail it is working now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis