I have a question on my Anthem AVM 60

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm getting ready to install my JBL 530's as surrounds

I want to experiment with my crossover points

I noticed on the anthem in the bass management section you can set the crossover individually for each speaker

I like higher crossover in my room on the surrounds mains and in ceilings

But if I cross it over above 80 Hz I don't like what it does to male voices especially on sci fi deep gravelly voices it sounds a little thin

I'm using 3 towers in the front stage

My question is if I set my crossovers higher on my mains surrounds and in ceilings at say 120hz but set it lower on the center at say 80hz where does my anthem set the crossovers on the subs?

Does it set it at 120hz or at 80hz with the center

I just don't want any gaps in the frequency response that I want the subs to fill

Thanks for your time if anyone has any insight on this function with this prepro I really appreciate it

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
My question is if I set my crossovers higher on my mains surrounds and in ceilings at say 120hz but set it lower on the center at say 80hz where does my anthem set the crossovers on the subs?

Does it set it at 120hz or at 80hz with the center
Both! :)

Any info going to surrounds lower than 120 goes to the sub and for the center channel, anything below 80 goes to the sub.

H/K use to have what they called variable quadruple crossover which let you assign different xo's to various speakers. It was my first rec'r and since then every subsequent rec'r has not had that handy feature which I miss.

My understanding is that the LFE signal includes frequencies up to 120 on it's own plus anything you crossed out of the other channels. I feel like I must have missed the true question as I'm pretty sure you know this stuff.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Both! :)

Any info going to surrounds lower than 120 goes to the sub and for the center channel, anything below 80 goes to the sub.

H/K use to have what they called variable quadruple crossover which let you assign different xo's to various speakers. It was my first rec'r and since then every subsequent rec'r has not had that handy feature which I miss.

My understanding is that the LFE signal includes frequencies up to 120 on it's own plus anything you crossed out of the other channels. I feel like I must have missed the true question as I'm pretty sure you know this stuff.
Know I think you nailed it I was over worrying it OCD style I was concerned if I set my mains surrounds and in ceilings at one crossover point and the center at another would the sub be crossed over at the lowest crossover say on the center

But like you said I figured it would route the bass missing from the other channels to the sub and just not play it on those channels and do the same with the center channel just making sure

I'm thinking of setting my mains surrounds and ceilings at 120hz and the center at 80hz then set the subs to play up to 120hz just making sure I'm not screwing anything up by doing that

Thanks!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
then set the subs to play up to 120hz
Again, unless I'm missing something and that could be but your sub's xo is disabled when you switch it to LFE and the Anthem takes care of who gets what frequencies automatically. You don't actually set the sub to play up to a frequency. You tell the rec'r what the speakers play down to. It's kind of the same.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'd have to look at the LFE and the sub out. They could be different with your product. Common AVRs set the LPF at around 120hz. The two could be convoluted to them same..

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'd have to look at the LFE and the sub out. They could be different with your product. Common AVRs set the LPF at around 120hz. The two could be convoluted to them same..
Hey thanks for the help ! I really appreciate you taking the time to do that!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I've looked in the manual and couldn't really get any Kind off answer on it would have called SVS and spoke to Ed I bet you he would know but they're closed today beside what's the point of being an audioholic if I don't come to you guys for help with my OCD audioholicism's! :D

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
After having not so much luck with the manual, I found the article below to be of some help. Your unit and a couple of others (upper models) has completely independent crossovers for each channel and completely adjustable crossover slopes for each up to 6th order. This seems to be accomplished via PC.

Very nice that this is available, especially in setting up mixed speakers brands and types.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
After having not so much luck with the manual, I found the article below to be of some help. Your unit and a couple of others (upper models) has completely independent crossovers for each channel and completely adjustable crossover slopes for each up to 6th order. This seems to be accomplished via PC.

Very nice that this is available, especially in setting up mixed speakers brands and types.

Thanks very nice! I got more goodies to play with Lol :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Really appreciate you taking the time to find that thank you I hadn't found much myself either

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I keep it simple and set every XO to 120Hz. That way I don't have to wonder. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems you're confusing LPF of LFE and crossovers?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
That's crazy considering the capability of those speakers you have
That's the upper at 120 lol. He is basically running them full range with the lfe to the bottom instead of no sub setting.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That's the upper at 120 lol. He is basically running them full range with the lfe to the bottom instead of no sub setting.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh it's all becoming clear to me now o_O Lol

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Life must be nice to run every speaker full range like that! :p I got tower envy going on right now

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In theory, in most cases if in a small to medium size room, running full range (even if the towers are huge and have better bass response/output than good subs) won't give optimal performance in the range below say 300 Hz. Dirac, Audyssey, and other DRCs will likely help if one is willing to forgo pure direct/direct modes but only to a point. All else being equal, subs offer much more flexibility, at least you can move them around a little, and use multiples of them.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I actually like the idea of using a 120hz crossover if the subs are capable. I don’t have towers anyhow to worry about neutering. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis