I Have a Connection Problem...Simple but not

R

rightslot

Audioholic Intern
Today at 2:22 PM
Hello to you out there.

I have a connection problem.

I have a Denon 3808ci, Oppo DVD/CD player, Denefrinps DAC, Primaluna preamp all connected to a Parasound a21 amp.

Here is the problem. I cannot get the DAC in the mix! When I try, I get NO SOUND.

Does anybody know what the best connection route is?

I tried: Oppo into the Denon receiver, CD/DVD>>>out to DAC>>>DAC analog out to preamp>>>to Parasound.

Does anybody have a DAC along with a tube preamp?

Help..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As I asked in the other thread, what connections did you make with what types of cables?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Today at 2:22 PM
Hello to you out there.

I have a connection problem.

I have a Denon 3808ci, Oppo DVD/CD player, Denefrinps DAC, Primaluna preamp all connected to a Parasound a21 amp.

Here is the problem. I cannot get the DAC in the mix! When I try, I get NO SOUND.

Does anybody know what the best connection route is?

I tried: Oppo into the Denon receiver, CD/DVD>>>out to DAC>>>DAC analog out to preamp>>>to Parasound.

Does anybody have a DAC along with a tube preamp?

Help..
Parsimony seems to be the order of the day here at present, at least in proffering sufficient information to answer the posed question.

It sounds you have at first sight an illogical dogs dinner of assorted equipment.

So we can not be of help until we know how those units are connected, and with what. So precisely what outputs are connected to what inputs and with what.

If we know those essential details there is some chance we might be able to shed light on your problem. I have no idea why you need a DAC and two preamps, when I presume you are using the receiver as an AV preamp.

R

rightslot

Audioholic Intern
OK, and THANKS!

I tried a few connections:

#1.....from DVD player to DAC with Toslink optical. From DAC to Denon (DVD--in using RCA R/LO) from Denon pre outs to Parasound a21 rca R/L input.

This worked until I added the tube preamp (Primaluna)

#2 ..... I ran Toslink from DVD player to Denon optical in--from Denon optical out to DAC optical in--from DAC R/L rca to Preamp rca in--from preamp out to amp (a21) rca in. NOTHING

And YES. The Home Theater BYPASS works on the Primaluna.

I GOTTA get this right 'cause I haven't even been able to connect my Nakamichi cassette player.

Thoughts?

R

rightslot

Audioholic Intern
Parsimony seems to be the order of the day here at present, at least in proffering sufficient information to answer the posed question.

It sounds you have at first sight an illogical dogs dinner of assorted equipment.

So we can not be of help until we know how those units are connected, and with what. So precisely what outputs are connected to what inputs and with what.

If we know those essential details there is some chance we might be able to shed light on your problem. I have no idea why you need a DAC and two preamps, when I presume you are using the receiver as an AV preamp.
The DAC's in the Denon receiver are IN NO WAY on the level of the stand alone DAC. Not even close.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
What is the purpose of all that gaak between the Denon and amplifier? You basically have three preamps between the Oppo and amplifier.

The DAC's in the Denon receiver are IN NO WAY on the level of the stand alone DAC. Not even close.
Based on what exactly?

If that’s the case why isn’t the Denon in the closet?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

R

rightslot

Audioholic Intern
What is the purpose of all that gaak between the Denon and amplifier? You basically have three preamps between the Oppo and amplifier.

Based on what exactly?

If that’s the case why isn’t the Denon in the closet?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
The Denon provides steering for the remainder of the system. The home theater. And I'm not the only one.

That's why there is a Home Theater BYPASS on the preamp. The sound for movies and regular TV is just fine. But that is NOT the sound I want for listening to music.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
#2 was probably closest but IIRC the 3808 does have DRM on digital content for the optical out but it's been a while since I played with that aspect of my 3808. Can't see the use of using the analog out of the Oppo to just pass thru the Denon to the other units.

I think you should just separate the two systems, and if they must share the main speakers, use a switch. I think the convoluted setup overall is just too fussy myself.

Nonsense about the DAC not being capable in the Denon, it may even be more capable. @PENG keeps track of dac chips used.

R

rightslot

Audioholic Intern
#2 was probably closest but IIRC the 3808 does have DRM on digital content for the optical out but it's been a while since I played with that aspect of my 3808. I can't see the use of using the analog out of the Oppo to just pass through the Denon to the other units.

I think you should just separate the two systems, and if they must share the main speakers, use a switch. I think the convoluted setup overall is just too fussy myself.

Nonsense about the DAC not being capable in the Denon, it may even be more capable. @PENG keeps track of DAC chips used.
Not to argue. But the Denon is not on the same planet as the Denafrips Ares II. Just is not. After some similar connection concerns, I HEARD the difference. Quite a large difference. HOWEVER...

You may be right. Sadly. Maybe two different systems.

Thanks to all for taking the time to think about this.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not to argue. But the Denon is not on the same planet as the Denafrips Ares II. Just is not. After some similar connection concerns, I HEARD the difference. Quite a large difference. HOWEVER...

Thanks to all for taking the time to think about this.
What makes your external dac so special/different? What are you hearing particularly and how are you comparing? Sounds like audiophile nonsense to me. YMMV.

I don't have another unit easily hooked up to my 3808 to test the optical out possibilities at this time... did you review the manual for details?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What on earth are you trying to force all that extra crap into your system for??

The DAC nonsense is just that. All you're doing is adding a ton of complexity for no benefit.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
OK, and THANKS!

I tried a few connections:

#1.....from DVD player to DAC with Toslink optical. From DAC to Denon (DVD--in using RCA R/LO) from Denon pre outs to Parasound a21 rca R/L input.

This worked until I added the tube preamp (Primaluna)

#2 ..... I ran Toslink from DVD player to Denon optical in--from Denon optical out to DAC optical in--from DAC R/L rca to Preamp rca in--from preamp out to amp (a21) rca in. NOTHING

And YES. The Home Theater BYPASS works on the Primaluna.

I GOTTA get this right 'cause I haven't even been able to connect my Nakamichi cassette player.

Thoughts?
#2 seems an odd way of doing it. If i get what you are saying, you are hooking it up something like this:

DVD>Denon>DAC>Prima Luna - that's where I think it gets screwy. Why not this:

DVD>DAC>Denon>Prima Luna - that is one less optical connection. But, the one that makes sense to me is:

DVD>DAC>Prima Luna - thus you bypass the Denon all together for music only. I would then go DVD>Denon via HDMI for home theater.

Let us know how it works!

R

rightslot

Audioholic Intern
I see a bit of snap to your replies but I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt.

Speaking of benefits I think you may be wise to read this:

And that is only one of many. I'm not speaking of brands, but the idea. Thought wise you should ALREADY be there. But you MAY want to expand.

Most ALL receivers DO NOT have internal components of better stand alone. Receivers are great because they are convenient. Come on, we know that.

At any rate, thanks for your thoughts.

R

rightslot

Audioholic Intern
#2 seems an odd way of doing it. If i get what you are saying, you are hooking it up something like this:

DVD>Denon>DAC>Prima Luna - that's where I think it gets screwy. Why not this:

DVD>DAC>Denon>Prima Luna - that is one less optical connection. But, the one that makes sense to me is:

DVD>DAC>Prima Luna - thus you bypass the Denon all together for music only. I would then go DVD>Denon via HDMI for home theater.

Let us know how it works!
Yep. They may be what I have to do. But I WAS determined because it seems I am just PASSING signals and the routing one to another.
BUT I GUESS NOT!!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I see a bit of snap to your replies but I'm going to give the benefit of the doubt.

And that is only one of many. I'm not speaking of brands, but the idea. Thought wise you should ALREADY be there. But you MAY want to expand.

Most ALL receivers DO NOT have internal components of better stand alone. Receivers are great because they are convenient. Come on, we know that.

Unfortunately, you are barking up the wrong tree with some of the members here and I doubt you will ever convince them otherwise, even with peer reviews. That being said, I have read several reviews on the Denafrips line and it seems to be a quality unit with an unusual internal architecture. R2R DACs are reported to have a different sound, though I have not had the pleasure of demoing one - yet. Enjoy!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Yep. They may be what I have to do. But I WAS determined because it seems I am just PASSING signals and the routing one to another.
BUT I GUESS NOT!!
Yeah one would think and I personally cannot think of a reason why it would not work, but digital is wonky that way sometimes!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I'd seen this before. Seems a nice enough 2ch unit altho a bit pricey. I prefer reviews like this https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/denafrips-ares-ii-usb-r2r-dac-review.11166/ . Just not interesting nor do I like to tune my audio by flavor of the electronic chain. I have several avrs and they are quite nice units and are of good quality, too, as is some older 2ch analog gear I have. Tools for the job and all that. Again, YMMV. :)

I like John's thoughts ways of connecting to get what you want out of it rather than worry about passing 2ch digital thru the avr. Hope you end up with the flavor you seek one way or the other....

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I think I get what you’re trying to do.

Basically, the digital out from the Denon lets you pass the Oppo signal straight through to the Denafrips DAC. If it has a volume control , then I see no reason for the PrimaLuna. Regardless, if analog in on the PrimaLuna doesn’t get signal to the analog output fed to the amplifier, then it has a problem.

However, ultimately your problem is that the “music system” requires access to the Parasound amp, as does the Denon for HT use.

So, all you need is a line-level switch box in front of the amplifier and you’ll be in business.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

R

rightslot

Audioholic Intern
I think I get what you’re trying to do.

Basically, the digital out from the Denon lets you pass the Oppo signal straight through to the Denafrips DAC. If it has a volume control , then I see no reason for the PrimaLuna. Regardless, if analog in on the PrimaLuna doesn’t get signal to the analog output fed to the amplifier, then it has a problem.

However, ultimately your problem is that the “music system” requires access to the Parasound amp, as does the Denon for HT use.

So, all you need is a line-level switch box in front of the amplifier and you’ll be in business.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Thanks.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, you verified when you used the optical in that was setup in input assignment in the 3808? Still think its more restricted as to what can be output, tho I'd need to look at the manual and play with it a bit...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis