I hate treble... so much.

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Hi guys,
I don't know why this is, but I HATE treble. The biting, shining sound just gets on my nerves, bad. I also can't stand high mid range, it really gets on my nerves. I like a recording that's really murky, lacks in treble and mid range, like a 20s or early 40s recording. They sound excellent to me. Recordings that sound really "dark," "flat," and "lifeless" for some reason I love. I ma just be an old soul who likes really old, murky sounding recordings. I would NOT be a good recording engineer. I'd make a modern pop song sound like it was recorded in the 20s, LOL!
Ryan

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Hey
Hi guys,
I don't know why this is, but I HATE treble. The biting, shining sound just gets on my nerves, bad. I also can't stand high mid range, it really gets on my nerves. I like a recording that's really murky, lacks in treble and mid range, like a 20s or early 40s recording. They sound excellent to me. Recordings that sound really "dark," "flat," and "lifeless" for some reason I love. I ma just be an old soul who likes really old, murky sounding recordings. I would NOT be a good recording engineer. I'd make a modern pop song sound like it was recorded in the 20s, LOL!
Ryan
Hey Ryan! I can relate some to “ shiny” topend on recordings. Me being a 70’s child that grew up in the 70’s which to me was an awesome time to be a teenager. I was just getting into this hobby. A lot of those bands back in the day had very little bass in their recordings, lots of mid-bass and a whole lot of treble! I hated that! Than one day I heard a song on FM by a band called the “Isley Brother” boy did they have the “Bass” in their music I was looking for! For me, recording engineers mix-up a lot of trash so to speak. Anyways if I was a music “ Studio” recording engineer I’d probably get fired cause I would mixing up killer lowend on all My mix’s!! Lol

Mike

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Hi guys,
Ryan
I can relate. Too much treble / high end hurts my ears. Bon Jovi's 'New Jersey' from 1988 is a good example. I can enjoy the radio recordings. But the CD hurts my ears. Someone screwed that album up when it went to print.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You may have a sensitivity to certain high frequencies. You might think about visiting an audiologist to see what they say.

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
Agreed. While I don't like "flat" recordings either, there is a happy balance between too much and too little treble. I can't stand overly forthcoming, agitating high end.

So; this is your theme song then good sir?

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Hey Ryan! What’s kick on your end of the world?

Mike
Hi Mr. Mike. Sorry, been a little busy. Nothin much. Just playing a TDK 10.5 reel with DBX 224 type II noise reduction. What about u?

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Agreed. While I don't like "flat" recordings either, there is a happy balance between too much and too little treble. I can't stand overly forthcoming, agitating high end.

So; this is your theme song then good sir?

Nope. I just like recordings that have not much treble, a happy medium between flat and smooth.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are you generalizing for all speakers or just the ones you usually listen on? What are they?

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
My cousin "hates bass", his car stereos sound just amazingly bad. I remember about 1970 or so going over to their house and going up to his room and he had a low end Kenwood receiver on his desk playing a local FM station into some tiny little speakers. The Kenwood's bass control was basically at minimum and it just sounded like it was a phone call. He later on had a Volvo wagon and he put a pair of tiny little Kenwood speakers that normally went into the dash in his doors and it sounded as awful as his home setup 15 years earlier did. His current Subaru Outback has the bass cranked all the way down. I mentioned his hatred of bass to his wife and she just rolled her eyes and said, "We don't listen to the radio much when we are together, we just totally disagree on how it should sound!". Their son is a bass head, and has a car shaking sub in his Jeep.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I like treble but it's gotta be juuuuuuust right although it's incredibly hard to put into words exactly what that is

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
@lovinthehd , I like British speakers, like Epos. They sound very good. It's not treble I hate, what is a really barking signal called, mid range?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@lovinthehd , I like British speakers, like Epos. They sound very good. It's not treble I hate, what is a really barking signal called, mid range?
Not sure what you mean by barking, and now it's mid-range rather than treble? The word harsh comes to mind. Can't say I've heard Epos speakers before (or all that many brit speakers for that matter). What speakers are you listening to that bother you?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I just use the Behringer DCX2496 DSP crossovers and for custom adjustment use the EQ settings on ABC inputs to slot a BP filter at the range I can see on the TrueRTA and reduce the level at the given frequency with Q quality bandwidth and then relax and listen. Also for fun switching in Dolby A or SR heights the dynamics a bit as well as adding noise reduction at lower levels reducing any possible noise.

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Not sure what you mean by barking, and now it's mid-range rather than treble? The word harsh comes to mind. Can't say I've heard Epos speakers before (or all that many brit speakers for that matter). What speakers are you listening to that bother you?
I hate harsh sounds. I don't know if it's treble or mid range. I like the sound of Brit speakers, I just hate the sound of digital recordings. I like a warm, analog recording that lacks in harsh frequencies. Trumpets would be an example of an instrument that gets on my nerves.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I hate harsh sounds. I don't know if it's treble or mid range. I like the sound of Brit speakers, I just hate the sound of digital recordings. I like a warm, analog recording that lacks in harsh frequencies. Trumpets would be an example of an instrument that gets on my nerves.
I don't find simply analog vs digital means much at all. You might prefer a response rolled off at the upper frequencies....

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
I don't find simply analog vs digital means much at all. You might prefer a response rolled off at the upper frequencies....
That's right, I prefer a response that rolls off about 15 kHz, and drops very rapidly.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis