P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Seemed to be having bass issues with my Integra and ultras, switched from straight to wall, to a "power conditioner" now everything is very pleasing. I wasn't expecting anything from the power center, nor do I think it had anything to do with it. I'm at a loss to what my issue was.

I picked up a monster hdp 1800 for $20. Had some voltage issues. A friend of mine had an extra one with an apparent issue on the power button. I switched out boards. Both are working without issue. Leaves me puzzled.

I had a check engine light come on, misfire in cyl 1, code cleared itself with me doing nothing.

Seems like I'm always plagued with some sort of electronic voodoo that randomly resolves itself.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Random CELs (a misfire for example, which can be intermittent, say it's humid out or actually raining and your HT wires to the plugs are failing, they will short to ground when other times in dry conditions they will be fine) will clear with repetitive starts. Most cars it's around 40 starts or so, the CEL, which hasn't caused an error in the mean time, will clear itself. Built into the system.

Changing the boards may have re-set a poorly seated connector, or scraped corrosion off the connecting elements. It's a standard troubleshooting step, to re-seat any removable connectors, so no Voodoo involved in your experience.

Just recently I cured a non-working brake/signal/tail lamp issue by pulling the light fixture, cleaning the contacts, and re-installing it (I used continuity checks so I knew I had fixed the issue before I re-installed). Normal.

Everyone's power system is unique. It can be as simple as your neighbour (or even you or someone in your home) using X-10 devices, LED or CFL lamps on the same line as your HiFi, or some other noisy powerline contraption ... sending internet over power is possible; the neighbour's power leg is tied closely to yours from the distribution transformer, so you "see" his dirty power. All those Power Conditioners work to some extent, some better than others, but if your home system is fine from the breaker panel and your neighbours don't fall for junk plugged into the line, and your utility isn't some cheapskate cash grabbing scourge, they may make no difference at all.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What was the bass issue?

Maybe you have a supercharged aura around you or something ;)

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
What was the bass issue?

Maybe you have a supercharged aura around you or something ;)
Lol.
I had little to no output on the low end. Tried numerous cds, different streaming services, analog and digital inputs, nothing different between my anthem or Denon players. Ever since I began using the power center it's been flawless sound. I'm still puzzled by this, maybe tomorrow I'll plug it straight to the wall again and see if I lose anything.
Maybe my Integra was sick for a few days? Makes more sense than a magical monster power center.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Lol.
I had little to no output on the low end. Tried numerous cds, different streaming services, analog and digital inputs, nothing different between my anthem or Denon players. Ever since I began using the power center it's been flawless sound. I'm still puzzled by this, maybe tomorrow I'll plug it straight to the wall again and see if I lose anything.
Maybe my Integra was sick for a few days? Makes more sense than a magical monster power center.
Hearing a drastic improvement just by adding a surge protector doesn't make sense.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Lol.
Have you ever looked inside of one of those "Power centers"? It's pretty much an empty box. I've got one, but only because I needed a rack-mount surge protector and I got it at a discount.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Have you ever looked inside of one of those "Power centers"? It's pretty much an empty box. I've got one, but only because I needed a rack-mount surge protector and I got it at a discount.
I have a few laying around only bc I got them cheap, have maybe $50 invested all together. They were damaged or broken so I put my skills to the test. One i have bypasses everything and is just for aesthetics.
Should have posted an update, everything works the same with or without any kind of "power conditioner". I've never cared to have any kind of protection that advertises any degree of voltage regulation (the insides of anything i have gotten my hands on is a joke and a fire hazard waiting to happen imho) normal everyday stuff has a simple to the point surge protector. My critical listening gear gets unplugged as most of my free time is spent chasing around my 2 yr old.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I hate bad engineering in general. Currently my focus of raging hatred is vs code42, makers of somewhat known Crashplan service.
1) They refuse to support NAS natively, unlike several other cloud service providers
2) For last few years I was running unsupported/community provided crashplan server for NAS and every single update which company pushed almost every quarter they would break it and manual update was required
3)They decided that they had enough with home users backups and switched to biz only model. It's more expensive. Called it small biz. For switchers 1st year - 75% off, then $10/month.
4)Windows software doesn't natively support CIFS/SMB file shares backup. This is only possible on Linux/OSX. So I've built cheap Intel NUC with J3355 celeron cpu. If you like to run linux on it - it must be a recent version (something about Kernel or other). Most recent linux versions switched to something called "systemd" instead of older "init.d". Doesn't matter that exactly it is, but it controls services auto-startup.

Now here's a kicker - stock installation of most recent version of Crashplan for linux doesn't support systemd, only init.d and list prior as "unsupported" method. This simply means that brand new default install of Crashplan on any recent linux is broken after first reboot!
It's like "modern" windows app which doesn't support windows 7, 8 or 10. Only Win XP.

I'm done with Crashplan!

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The Monster Power Center fixed cyl 1 and yet you doubt.

highfigh

highfigh

The ones with only varistors do temper large surges, but microprocessorrs don't like jolts and since I like longevity in my equipment, I have a Panamax that shuts off when the voltage drops below 90VAC and exceeds 140VAC. Granted, the power transformer doesn't often increase the voltage on new equipment, so it's not as much of a problem as if we were dealing with some tube amps, which are already producing plate voltage around 500VDC.

If you like the "less is more" design experience, here's one for ya- even found a glowing review. It literally contains nothing more than the housing, the receptacles and the IAC power for the power cord they don't supply because they want people to choose the one that's best for them. Read the conclusion and make sure to look for the price.

https://www.dagogo.com/weizhi-prs-6-power-conditioner-review/

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The ones with only varistors do temper large surges, but microprocessorrs don't like jolts and since I like longevity in my equipment, I have a Panamax that shuts off when the voltage drops below 90VAC and exceeds 140VAC. Granted, the power transformer doesn't often increase the voltage on new equipment, so it's not as much of a problem as if we were dealing with some tube amps, which are already producing plate voltage around 500VDC.

If you like the "less is more" design experience, here's one for ya- even found a glowing review. It literally contains nothing more than the housing, the receptacles and the IAC power for the power cord they don't supply because they want people to choose the one that's best for them. Read the conclusion and make sure to look for the price.

https://www.dagogo.com/weizhi-prs-6-power-conditioner-review/
Yeah, the ones like your panamax unit actually have a function. My UPS I have hooked up to all my gear regulate voltage and interfere when voltage spikes or dips too much.

The monster power centers on the whole do nothing at all. Same with your linked unit.

highfigh

highfigh

Yeah, the ones like your panamax unit actually have a function. My UPS I have hooked up to all my gear regulate voltage and interfere when voltage spikes or dips too much.

The monster power centers on the whole do nothing at all. Same with your linked unit.
Unless excessive voltage passes-

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Unless excessive voltage passes-

Yup. The UPS "should" do what the panamax unit did. Will it? I don't plan to test that...

Granted, it's cut off numerous times for over voltage so I know it works. Never a spike near 200v though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis