I get to buy a whole new system (long and rambling, sorry)

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Thanks for getting back to me armarass, and thanks for the input nm2285, I hadn't heard that about the x02 models.

We actually got out and listened to everything on Saturday. This is my first chance to really write about it. To keep it short he was floored. We actually got to listen to a whole variety of the receivers, including a H&K 330, (no 235 available but told very similar) The Onkyo 602, and the Yamaha 5760. All three receivers were in the budget section, which was one room of the shop we were in. They had to move the receivers around for us, which they didn't mind (at least that's they said) because they knew we were coming and what we wanted to listen to. I could not tell the difference in any of the receivers to be honest, except maybe the speakers sounding a little more Bass rich (if thats even a term) with the Harmon 330. The guy in the shop was very supportive of the Yamaha receiver, and said that the auto setup was the best of the three because of new debugging, but I can't comment on that.

One change we will be making is the sub, we are changing to the HSU VTF-2. I had ruled out this company before because the said that they no longer shipped to Canada, but that you had to use a company authorized dealer. I assumed this meant an outrageous markup, but I was very wrong. We were able to audition the sub with the PSB image 2Bs and my goodness, what a sub. I have never heard the SVS sub with these speakers, so I can not say which is the better match, but this sub did everything I hoped the SVS would do, and it is available locally, so we have a winner and new champion. I have never heard a $3000.00 US sub,or a $2000.00 dollar one for that matter, but I can't imagine what they are capable of after hearing this "little guy" go.

We also listened to paradigm, monitor audio(bronze series stuff), and just for giggles a B&W system that was mated to seperates that alone cost about 10 X what we were spending on everything including tax. Everything sounded great, but the real value for the dollar is still the PSB image series to me. I liked it better than the Titans and more than the Monitor Audio that I have a friend who swears by, although he owns a higher model than we listened to. The B&W's sounded better than anything I have ever heard, but, the prices were as out of this world as the sound, at least for myself at the moment.

Anyway, short story long the girlfriends dad bought the HSU sub on the spot. ( I later went home and had a question for HSU regarding the VTF-2 vs the STF3. I emailed them today, and received a response almost right away, with a brief, albeit, concise answer, along with a link that prompted me to email DR. Hsu if I needed a more technical answer. I did just to see if he would answer, and less that 2 hrs later he did! That is what I call service and standing behind a product.)

Anyway, what he decided to go with is (drumroll)

H&K AVR-235, 4 PSB Image 2Bs, Image 8C Center, HSU VTF-2, Denon 1910 DVD player, Bluejeans speaker wire and bananna clips, and finally an Impact Acoustic DVI cable (thanks for the discount audioholics). All of this comes out to being $2590 Canadian including all applicable tax and import fees. This makes it $2250 before taxes, or about $1800 US dollars. I don't think you can beat this for this price.

I want to say thanks to eveyone for the imput, and just let you know that I really did appreciate the advice, it helps to know other people with more experience and a better grasp are willing to lend a hand.

Last edited:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Wow! Sounds like a nice rig, Takeereasy. I'm really partial to the Monitor Audio speakers, but this shows why speakers are hard to recommend- everyone likes something else. But it looks like you put together a giant killer system for the money. Congrats!

Hsu research is a pleasure to deal with. Dr Hsu often will speak to customers (and potential customers) on the phone himself. He and his superb staff will make sure you get the advice you need and service after the sale, too. They make great subs, and it's hard to beat them for the price. I have a pair of their top subs, the TN-1220, and the power and quality is fantastic. If he ever outgrows that sub, he can always add a second one. It's hard to imagine needing to, though, unless he's a bass fanatic. BTW, Hsu Research also has a forum/message board for questions and discussion.

All in all, a great rig (I've heard all of the those items) and a great value. Yeah, the internet is a great thing for research! :D

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Thanks Rob, I'm pretty pleased with how it all turned out. About a year ago I would have said anyone who spent $2000 on stereo equipment was slow in the head. Now I set aside a little every cheque, impatiently waiting to buy the next piece.

With regards to HSU I still can't get over the service. I've heard stories about people getting service from the owner of a company and always taken it with a grain of salt. I know that HSU isn't a massive company, but that is not the point. When a company shows that they can stand behind a product like that then they earn business in my opinion. That plus the fact that I never knew a 10 inch sub could pull off that kind of bass. I can not even imagine what your subS can do Rob (aside from knock pictures off the wall and crack supports). I'm sure we could have listened to better subs than the VTF-2, and I'm sure they are out there, but I can't picture beating this one for the money and service, and why ruin it for the GF's dad? Of course this means that I need the VTF-3 when the time comes, can't be outdone by the future inlaws.

Last edited:
J

jaretsky

Enthusiast
i have a yamaha rxv 1300 (slightly older than what your looking at) currently driving polk rt 35s for front l/r. I've been planing on switching to psb image b25s for my front l/r. I thought the psb's might be a problem with the 6ohm rating. the yamaha has an impedence switch that you can use if there was a problem in driving the speakers. i don't know if the other ones have that or not. it's worth checking.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
That's ok. Thanks anyway jaretsky. I was worried about that too but I have been reassured several times over that as long as the speakers are efficient, which they are, and the receiver can put out sufficient power, which it is supposed to, then this won't be a big concern. I hope you enjoy your PSB's as much as I do, and my girlfriend's father will when his eventually arrive. (supposed to be in by Monday or Tuesday)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis