I don't understand all the love for the Hans Zimmer Live at Prague

Nakean

Nakean

Junior Audioholic
Am I missing something. I understand it would be AMAZING to be there and I absolutely LOVE Hans Zimmer. It wasn't until about a year ago that I think he might single handedly be responsible for the love I have for so many movies and the drive to upgrade my stereo.

AND... the recording feels so treble heavy and without that guttural feeling I get from the actual movie soundtracks. There's little low end bass and even less 60-120 range to give the music real body. Am I missing something?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've always wondered about that recording, due the same praise you're talking about, but its not really the kind of music I buy.....but makes me wonder if I can rent it to give it a try....maybe find it on a streaming service. Then again dedicated soundtracks to movies without the movie to watch I haven't found all that enticing either....if the soundtrack is more a nice collection of singles I will buy those....

Nakean

Nakean

Junior Audioholic
I've always wondered about that recording, due the same praise you're talking about, but its not really the kind of music I buy.....but makes me wonder if I can rent it to give it a try....maybe find it on a streaming service. Then again dedicated soundtracks to movies without the movie to watch I haven't found all that enticing either....if the soundtrack is more a nice collection of singles I will buy those....
Might not be your thing. I tend to listen to a few songs on this score and a few songs on that one instead of the entire score. Streaming is the way to go. I use Apple Music and love it for its convenience. I’m finally bought an Apple TV and it’s great for streaming lossless but also get Atmos music as well. I tend to listen in my entertainment room as much as my office. There’s nothing quite like the ability to try anything and everything at any moment. Doubt I would have ever purchased entire movie scores outright.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's been the bluray that I've seen most of the comments on, so that's what I'd prefer over streaming, for both the multich mix and somewhat just the superior quality it represents. It's not on netflix for rental, tho....either disc or streaming....but found it on Spotify....will give it a listen next time I use it.

Nakean

Nakean

Junior Audioholic
It's been the bluray that I've seen most of the comments on, so that's what I'd prefer over streaming, for both the multich mix and somewhat just the superior quality it represents. It's not on netflix for rental, tho....either disc or streaming....but found it on Spotify....will give it a listen next time I use it.
Perhaps the bluray version is mixed differently than Itunes. I heard that itunes music is remixed for the platform to meet some standard. Could be the point at which the mix is ruined.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps the bluray version is mixed differently than Itunes. I heard that itunes music is remixed for the platform to meet some standard. Could be the point at which the mix is ruined.
Hard to imagine any actual remixing was done....maybe application of an algorithm of some sort....got fed up with iTunes long ago myself, don't use it.

Nakean

Nakean

Junior Audioholic
Hard to imagine any actual remixing was done....maybe application of an algorithm of some sort....got fed up with iTunes long ago myself, don't use it.
Fair enough. It's the ease of use and access to anything at anytime I can't overlook. KISS for me. I'll take the faults.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Doesn't the blu-ray have an Atmos/TrueHD track? If available in "Spatial Audio" from Apple, it would be a lossy Atmos/Dolby Digital plus based version. If not in "Spatial Audio(Dolby Atmos) it could be a hi-res or CD quality two channel version. It would certainly be a different experience if one is watching the blu-ray version on a 7.1.4 setup compared to another listening to a two channel version on a 2.1 setup. The better one is the one YOU like.;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Fair enough. It's the ease of use and access to anything at anytime I can't overlook. KISS for me. I'll take the faults.
It was what it did with my own rips moving from computer to computer that drove me away, didn't buy/rent much of their content. Found spotify quite easy to use and has plenty of content on a variety of devices....and manage/stream my own files these days separately with foobar2000.

Nakean

Nakean

Junior Audioholic
Doesn't the blu-ray have an Atmos/TrueHD track? If available in "Spatial Audio" from Apple, it would be a lossy Atmos/Dolby Digital plus based version. If not in "Spatial Audio(Dolby Atmos) it could be a hi-res or CD quality two channel version. It would certainly be a different experience if one is watching the blu-ray version on a 7.1.4 setup compared to another listening to a two channel version on a 2.1 setup. The better one is the one YOU like.;)
It only says lossless so I imagine it is the 2.1 upmixed to Dolby in my 5.2.2, I’m sure that would make a difference spatially but probably not in tonality. It just sounds thin to me, compared to the studio tracks.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
I’ve searched and found the Prague and Vienna shows on Tidal. Unfortunately, neither is available in Atmos. But, “Dune(Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)” and “The Dune Sketchbook” are available in Atmos. “No Time To Die(Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)” is available in Atmos as well. So, there is a good chance Apple has Atmos versions available of those albums.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, been listening to it a bit....didn't realize it wasn't much more than some bits of various movie pieces/scores he'd done....and while it reminded me of a movie here and there, on it's own not something I'd go back to particularly. Seems well produced tho.

Nakean

Nakean

Junior Audioholic
Okay, been listening to it a bit....didn't realize it wasn't much more than some bits of various movie pieces/scores he'd done....and while it reminded me of a movie here and there, on it's own not something I'd go back to particularly. Seems well produced tho.
Now check out Hans Zimmer The magic of cinema and notice the difference in sound quality and spaciousness and body of the music.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Album of dedicated non-movie music? Or does he do that at all?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not to my knowledge.
Yeah like you said earlier, probably just not what I would enjoy generally. I do like the work of various composers/performances for movie sound tracks from the likes of John Williams, Danny Elfman, Ennio Morricone....but mostly about how they fit a movie rather than as stand alone compositions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis