I can't get sound from my HTPC

C

calnbs

Audioholic
First time connecting a receiver to a pc. I spent most of yesterday trying to set up my sound system to my PC. I just can't get any sound from my PC (music from Itunes, CD, and DVD from my DVD drive). My PC is connected to my receiver through a toslink miniplug cable from monoprice.com

I tested the CD and tape and it was fine. I just can't get any sound from my PC and DVD Drive.

Receiver: Onkyo 506
Speaker: Insignia
Sound Card: old Soundblaster Audigy
Connection: toslink miniplug cable

What other connections am I missing? Which mode am I suppose to be in when I am listening music or watching movies from my PC? For example when I am using a cd, I go to the "CD" mode at receiver...when I am suppose to use the "AUX" when I am using my PC? or what?

I am thinking I need a new sound card. My soundcard works fine with previous computer speaker. I tested every plug already that is availiable on my sound card. May be I am missing a connection somewhere, I don't know.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
First time connecting a receiver to a pc. I spent most of yesterday trying to set up my sound system to my PC. I just can't get any sound from my PC (music from Itunes, CD, and DVD from my DVD drive). My PC is connected to my receiver through a toslink miniplug cable from monoprice.com

I tested the CD and tape and it was fine. I just can't get any sound from my PC and DVD Drive.

Receiver: Onkyo 506
Speaker: Insignia
Sound Card: old Soundblaster Audigy
Connection: toslink miniplug cable

What other connections am I missing? Which mode am I suppose to be in when I am listening music or watching movies from my PC? For example when I am using a cd, I go to the "CD" mode at receiver...when I am suppose to use the "AUX" when I am using my PC? or what?

I am thinking I need a new sound card. My soundcard works fine with previous computer speaker. I tested every plug already that is availiable on my sound card. May be I am missing a connection somewhere, I don't know.
i have to tell my soundcard to output digital in the software, otherwise its analog.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
which sound card? Mine is under sound devices, advance panel, the advanced again

Last edited by a moderator:
C

calnbs

Audioholic
2 Problems:

1.) "Sound and Audio Devices" Device volume is at "low" and I can't adjust or click anything there. As I see you can adjust and click on yours.

2.) I have the "Play control" but I don't have that advance option that leads to "Advance control" to click on "Digital output".

Starts to look like I need a new sound card? I wonder, what's a good sound card to buy at this time? Thanks for the information.

Last edited:
bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Check to make sure that SB is the default playback under hardware

C

calnbs

Audioholic
checked. For some reason I thought the SB Audigy 2ZS would be able to do what I needed. I might just start looking for a new sound card. Thanks for your help.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
checked. For some reason I thought the SB Audigy 2ZS would be able to do what I needed. I might just start looking for a new sound card. Thanks for your help.
YW, and it should ill do some reading... M audio and Turtle Beach make some fine soundcards, There are some new ones comming out that will handle the new codecs:)

Last edited:
Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
You can connect your ZS to your receiver with 3 stereo mini-jacks. Your receiver has 7.1 discrete channel input.

But a 1/8" mini to rca adapter would also work.

C

calnbs

Audioholic
You can connect your ZS to your receiver with 3 stereo mini-jacks. Your receiver has 7.1 discrete channel input.

But a 1/8" mini to rca adapter would also work.
Took your advice and worked. I guess I would have to settle for digital output with toslink later when I build my computer with newer sound card. Thanks.

These Insignia Speakers sound pretty good as far as HTPC goes. Can't wait till I hook these up to new sound cards.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
You can also get the new ATI Radeon 4850 video card which has 8ch PCM over HDMI so it can do 7.1 sound to a compatible HDMI receiver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis