I can't believe AudioKarma is such bunch of snobs

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would have just stuck with the "why spend all this money on electronics, and spend so little on speakers?" topic. The computer wasn't really necessary to get into.

Z

Zaluss

Audioholic
Heh no they don't. You should of seen the thread where I recommended the Maverick DAC and got attacked by Grant Fidelity fan boys. There is a lot of good information and good folk there though

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I get your point about how unbalanced his systems was for sure, but you do realize he was streaming PCM via optical and not using the analog outputs or the DACs on the mini?

Matt34

Matt34

I really enjoy AK. Zilch and friends pump out some very nice low-cost DIY projects.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I honestly didn't do my homework prior to my last post, and assume speakers also upto snug with rest of his equipment :eek:

But I hope atleast Seth, you saw my original point, C'mon If I'm a techie and a cheap bastard (like I'm in RL :D) Mac Mini would be on my very short list for htpc/music server but in company with over $5k in electronics it's just doesn't fit

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I get your point about how unbalanced his systems was for sure, but you do realize he was streaming PCM via optical and not using the analog outputs or the DACs on the mini?
yes, of course i did, and I was initially attacked for followers of this idea (and to stay in same price point realm as mac mini) to use M-Audio Transport DAC ($100) vs Benchmarks's DAC1 for $1000 and I got attacked for this too, with lame claims of some pre-amps seem to sound different to poster.

Last edited:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I honestly didn't do my homework prior to my last post, and assume speakers also upto snug with rest of his equipment :eek:

But I hope atleast Seth, you saw my original point, C'mon If I'm a techie and a cheap bastard (like I'm in RL :D) Mac Mini would be on my very short list for htpc/music server but in company with over $5k in electronics it's just doesn't fit
Actually for a music only server the mac mini makes perfect sense. Add a huge external drive and your set. The optical out is what makes it, and the size of the thing. Video is another story though, but for music it is near perfect. I would run it headless and just log in with screen sharing from a laptop.

Edit: oh you said on your short list. Gotcha! :) but yes for the reasons I stated.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I really enjoy AK. Zilch and friends pump out some very nice low-cost DIY projects.
It was partially your fault Matt is why I signed up to get the attached pics to EconoWave post you did here :D
I not into DIY yet, but I'm very curious about it and I can't even begin appreciate amount of work Zilch and friends did on EcW project, but I was unlucky and got cold shoulder and got upset :(

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
yes, of course i did, and I was initially attacked for followers of this idea (and to stay in same price point realm as mac mini) to use M-Audio Transport DAC vs Benchmarks's $1000 one and I got attacked for this too, with lame claims of some pre-amps seem to sound different to poster.
Yeah they seemed like a bunch of morons with all their claims of hearing difference between stuff. We won't even go into how they tested all that. :rolleyes:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually for a music only server the mac mini makes perfect sense. Add a huge external drive and your set. The optical out is what makes it, and the size of the thing. Video is another story though, but for music it is near perfect. I would run it headless and just log in with screen sharing from a laptop.
Let me repeat myself - All above true
If I'm a techie
Edit: NVM just saw your edit

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord

I suppose it's not logical to spend 5k on electronics and then by a Mac Mini to run as a server, I certainly would scoff at him for saving money on at least one component that would have minimal difference in SQ. The guy that responded to your posts in regards to this is asking an honest question, "what's wrong with the Mac Mini?" I've seen some ugly train wrecks on audiokarma, it doesn't appear that thread qualifies.:D

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Let me repeat myself - All above true
What your saying your NOT a techie:D I don't believe you!

Anyway, I am done with you mooks for today. Going for a bicycle ride and then later a ride on the other two wheeled bike. Later!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I really enjoy AK.
Me too. For some of the stuff that I am interested in, AK is the go to place. BoredSysAdmin is a bad man. We're going to throw rocks at him and set his house on fire. His girl says he has a small pee-pee. :eek:

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Me too. For some of the stuff that I am interested in, AK is the go to place. BoredSysAdmin is a bad man. We're going to throw rocks at him and set his house on fire. His girl says he has a small pee-pee. :eek:
Many of my vintage related audio searches turn up on AudioKarma, it's filled with people with extensive product knowledge from the yester-year.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
yeah those guys are vintage guru's thats really all I go there for is to see what crazy stuff they found in a garage sale and restored.

T2T

T2T

Senior Audioholic
Don't be going to other audio sites and stirring the pot ... only to leave a trail of bread crumbs back to this site. :D ;)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
yeah those guys are vintage guru's thats really all I go there for is to see what crazy stuff they found in a garage sale and restored.
I got tired of the ones who get excited by old Pioneer, Technics, Hitachi, Realistic and other brands of Lo-MidFi receivers. The crap they fall in love with when it comes to speakers and turntables is just annoying. It wouldn't be so bad if I hadn't seen so much of it when I got into the business but c'mon- Accutrac is a good turntable? Yikes! They don't seem to like reading that expensive cables don't make as much difference in real life, either. Some get downright belligerent about it.

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
yeah I agree, they get all giddy over some 80's "vintage" pioneer but some of the speaker jobs they do are cool..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis