R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18925331.200-take-a-leap-into-hyperspace.html

This isn't a new article, but I was recently having a discussion about it and remember how interesting it is. Like Tesla, many considered Heim a crackpot, but like Tesla, Heim came up with some revolutionary methods still in use today by physicists. It'll be interesting if an actual test reveals anything useful.

I'll really be pissed if I see we could have been riding spacecraft to the stars in the 70's instead of producing movies/shows about it like Star Trek and Star Wars. Although, I don't believe the energy creation and materials were available 30 years ago.

Here are the stars within 90 days of Earth using a hyperdrive engine:

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/12lys.html

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
Several issue arise, most notably the fact that the faster you travel, the more power you need. Then there’s Einstein’s theory of relativity – For people left behind, time progresses normally, while for the people on a “fast” ship, time moves…at a different pace. If they’re traveling say for 5 years, when they return to Earth, depending on how fast they were going, time may have progressed 10, 20, 50, 100 years or more.
Some people are toying with the idea of “warping” or curving the space near the ship in kind of a wave pattern, with the ship riding the crest of the wave.

I was disappointed several years ago when an experiment with a solar sail failed (the sail never opened). Such an implement could speed up space travel considerably. Another idea is the use of ion engines. I say, why not use both? Point the ion engine at the solar sail, and cruise the galaxy.

We’ll probably get there some day, but not in our lifetimes.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
I don't believe Heim disputes the limitations of general relativity in this model. In his model, travel happens in parallel space which has different physical properties. The calculation made by some followup scientists a few years back indicate about 25 tesla would be needed and there is in fact a device in the Sandia National Lab that can do it. A researcher there has expressed interest in testing this idea, but only after he understands the math behind it a little better as it's obviously very complex.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Several issue arise, most notably the fact that the faster you travel, the more power you need. Then there’s Einstein’s theory of relativity – For people left behind, time progresses normally, while for the people on a “fast” ship, time moves…at a different pace. If they’re traveling say for 5 years, when they return to Earth, depending on how fast they were going, time may have progressed 10, 20, 50, 100 years or more.
Some people are toying with the idea of “warping” or curving the space near the ship in kind of a wave pattern, with the ship riding the crest of the wave.

I was disappointed several years ago when an experiment with a solar sail failed (the sail never opened). Such an implement could speed up space travel considerably. Another idea is the use of ion engines. I say, why not use both? Point the ion engine at the solar sail, and cruise the galaxy.

Dunno man. Computing has advanced a lot. Consider the Stealth planes that are being balanced by a computer chip that is 20 years old.

Imagine what we can do now.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I say, why not use both? Point the ion engine at the solar sail, and cruise the galaxy.
Let's not let Newton's Laws get in the way of our dreaming.;) If the ion engine is attached to same vehicle as the sail, the force of sending out ions will be equal and opposite to the force on the sail. We'd go nowhere.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
The old meters per second mentality of travel simply won't work in space. That's why I find concepts such as warp drive and hyperdrive fascinating as they look at movement in a different way.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan

I think this only relates to the 4-dimensional space.... in 6 or 8 dimensions, rules are way different :eek:

And to reach Mars in less than 3 hours and a star 11 light years away in only 80 days :eek:

Dunno man. Computing has advanced a lot. Consider the Stealth planes that are being balanced by a computer chip that is 20 years old.

Imagine what we can do now.
I'm not sure we are that smart, nobody even know what gravity is and how why it works, there's supposed to be some gravity waves, but noone ever proved or confirmed or showed them....

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18925331.200-take-a-leap-into-hyperspace.html

This isn't a new article, but I was recently having a discussion about it and remember how interesting it is. Like Tesla, many considered Heim a crackpot, but like Tesla, Heim came up with some revolutionary methods still in use today by physicists. It'll be interesting if an actual test reveals anything useful.

I'll really be pissed if I see we could have been riding spacecraft to the stars in the 70's instead of producing movies/shows about it like Star Trek and Star Wars. Although, I don't believe the energy creation and materials were available 30 years ago.

Here are the stars within 90 days of Earth using a hyperdrive engine:

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/12lys.html
VERY VERY MANY THANKS for this..... incredibly interesting article
But this sounds too good to be true

Last edited:
J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I don't believe Heim disputes the limitations of general relativity in this model. In his model, travel happens in parallel space which has different physical properties. The calculation made by some followup scientists a few years back indicate about 25 tesla would be needed and there is in fact a device in the Sandia National Lab that can do it. A researcher there has expressed interest in testing this idea, but only after he understands the math behind it a little better as it's obviously very complex.
The concept of a "parallel space" is purely theoretical at this point. We have thus far not even proven that such a space exists, much less found a way to travel through it.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
The concept of a "parallel space" is purely theoretical at this point. We have thus far not even proven that such a space exists, much less found a way to travel through it.
Whaddayamean, not proven.....???
I have many parallell universes inside my head :D

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
So was the concept of a round planet until someone sailed around it. We won't know till we try.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
So was the concept of a round planet until someone sailed around it. We won't know till we try.
I would try riding a unicorn if somebody told me where to find one.
We can't try travelling through a "parallel space" until we know how to access it, and so far there have been no testable ideas about how such a thing might be attempted (or even to show that it is there to be accessed at all.)
In the case of your round planet example, there was at least an ocean to sail on!

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
there was at least an ocean to sail on!
There's a whole lot of universe out there that needs to be explored, too. It's about time we tried to get out of our own solar system and have a look around. There's lots out there left to be discovered.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
There's a whole lot of universe out there that needs to be explored, too. It's about time we tried to get out of our own solar system and have a look around. There's lots out there left to be discovered.
Why do people keep misinterpreting my comments as expressing unwillingness to explore? That is missing the point entirely! My point is that we cannot think of travel through a "parallel space" as a viable option without first establishing that such a space exists and a way to get there/back.
Let's start with an experiment in which someone places a small object into a parallel space and then retrieves it. Only then will the concept of using such a space as a means of FTL travel be worth discussing.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I just think that the concept of a 6 dimensional or 8 dimensional space is too much for a human brain to grasp, even just a slight understanding of what this means.... how is it possible to understand a space with 6 dimensions :confused:

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Why do people keep misinterpreting my comments as expressing unwillingness to explore? That is missing the point entirely!
Sorry Joe. I wasn't suggesting that you were unwilling to explore, just that we don't know enough about our universe to know what is and what isn't possible. Using your example of finding out the world is round, we might find wormholes, rifts or such other type of naturally occurring phenomena that would enable FTL travel. Just as the earliest explorers couldn't conjure up a route around the world without leaving Europe, we also won't know what's possible in the universe without having a better look around nor will we be able to conjure up a new dimension if it's impossible in the first place.

Alamar

Alamar

Full Audioholic
One of the nice things about relativity is that it currently has a lot of loopholes [as others have pointed out] to FTL travel. Warping or compressing space is allowed ; wormholes are allowed ; etc.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
realtivity thearory is not the truth about physics.... it's just an approximation that is true within given constraints...

Just the same as Netwon's laws are true within given constraints, newton's laws break down when speed gets high a.k.a whenever the true nature of E=MC2 sets in...

Sometimes we will realize that we need better formulas than Einstein's but we don't know enough about the 5th, 6t, 7th or whatever dimensions... yet
Perhaps nobody will really understand this, who can say that they really understand everything about quantum physics? I don't even believe Stephen Hawking understand all about this?

Even I don't understand everything about this......

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
One of the nice things about relativity is that it currently has a lot of loopholes [as others have pointed out] to FTL travel. Warping or compressing space is allowed ; wormholes are allowed ; etc.
There are three major problems with trying to use wormholes for space travel.
The first is that, while we don't know where the nearest wormhole is yet, we do know that it is outside the solar system and would therefore take years to reach.
The second is that we don't know what is on the other end, or even if it has an other end.
The third (and probably the biggest) is that wormholes, black holes, and other such cosmic-scale phenomena are incredibly violent. Us trying to pass through one would be like a housefly trying to pass through a turbojet engine!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis