highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
100% agreed on. My own house elevation is a humble 100ft but should be sufficient in most cases for the next few hundred years I expect :)
That said, the location of hurricane possibility is basically anywhere. Climate is changing and weather patterns are changing. At this point, all I know is it's going to get worse, likely much worse and I certainly won't want to live ANYWHERE in Florida, especially near coasts.
I was discussing weather events and 'best places to live' during lunch yesterday and in the US, we have choices- killer Winters/extreme snowfall, killer Summer temperatures with severe thunderstorms & humidity, tornadoes, hurricanes, seasonal flooding, forest fires, earthquakes and tidal waves- is there a place with moderate temperature & humidity where none of the other events happen? Not likely.

MKE had some storms in the late-'90s that were called '100 year flood' and '300 year flood', then we had a '500 year flood' in 2010.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Was just watching video of some of the worst hit areas and the cleanup ahead. Holy moly. My grandparents retired to Punta Gorda so somewhat familiar with the area (but they passed on years back, but don't think they had any storm experience even close to this one). My heart goes out to all affected. Personally I never wanted to live in Florida myself for a variety of reasons, but that didn't include hurricanes!

highfigh

highfigh

I don't want to live at/extremely close to sea level, hurricanes, venomous snakes in such large numbers, constant high humidity or where they have those 'no see-um' bastards. That said, I had a good time when I was there.

My friend in Estero sent this-

"Ft. Myers beach is mostly gone. Hooters restaurant last seen floating in the gulf
Downtown Ft, Myers had 15 FEET of water.
Finding houses in the gulf (bottom) with bodies in them
Sanibel, Capitiva islands, can't get there, bridge is gone, causeway gone.

Weather
Weather has been warm during the day but cool at night
Tolerable for most of us, thankfully

Utilities
Water is on but because of the damage to infrastructure not drinkable
Have lots of bottled water and ice (he has a generator)
I bagged 20 gallons of drinking water before the storm, 10 left
Electricity no power yet, generator is still humming along
Got fridge, internet, fans, some lights, necessary equipment
Can flush the toilets, whew.

Food
Grocery stores are opening, dairy products don't exist
Had carry out last night, ate like kings

Another friend has a boat and HAD a van in Ft Myers- van had equipment inside, but ended up moved 8' from its parking spot and water inside, so probably totaled. Another friend stayed on his boat and helped others while the storm was rolling through- he's a certified captain and knows how to be safe, within the limits of most storms. He lives on his boat and the sailboat owned by one of his neighbors was found a good distance from the marina, in the woods. When we were out yesterday, my friend called the guy who stayed and the one with the sailboat- she took the "Well, I guess you have a cabin in the woods" comment pretty well.

In the news videos, I have seen many paces that were completely demolished and others next door that were completely intact. The aerial views of Sanibel and Ft Myers Beach show that whole sections of the strips are gone.

The estimate I saw last night was in the $245 Billion range. At least the main damage from Ian was more things than people- The tidal wave in Phuket, Thailand took ~8500 lives.

Attachments

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I don't want to live at/extremely close to sea level, hurricanes, venomous snakes in such large numbers, constant high humidity or where they have those 'no see-um' bastards. That said, I had a good time when I was there.
I moved to the top of the Cliff in Jersey City and we still had a bunch of people flooding from a storm last summer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I moved to the top of the Cliff in Jersey City and we still had a bunch of people flooding from a storm last summer.
Unfortunately flooding is in the future of many more people these days....

highfigh

highfigh

That's usually from not paying attention to local drainage or a river that backs up into a creek, which backs up into a neighborhood- I got to live through that and it was super great.......no, really, it was great...... I'm referring to being close to sea level and having a 15' or higher storm surge, which is what Ft Myers Beach had.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis