M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
The NWS is predicting a storm surge of 12-18 feet above ground level in some areas. This is one time I hope the NWS is wrong.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Was just watching a news report from Naples' coast about the flooding from the storm surge they've already got hours in front of high tide....good luck to all in the area!

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
I hope everyone got out in time and has a safe place to be.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just saw a follow up report to one I saw earlier for the surge in Naples....where it was a coupla feet under water on the first report, now it's a sandy but fairly water-free area with the water changing directions as the storm passes over....and that was like an hour apart! Crazy.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
We're still cleaning up after Fiona. I can only imagine the level of devastation that Florida is facing.

highfigh

highfigh

The NWS is predicting a storm surge of 12-18 feet above ground level in some areas. This is one time I hope the NWS is wrong.

I have a friend in Estero- I checked their elevation and it goes from 0-33 ft above sea level, but with luck, the distance from the Gulf will soften the surge.

How did you make out?

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I have a friend in Estero- I checked their elevation and it goes from 0-33 ft above sea level, but with luck, the distance from the Gulf will soften the surge.

How did you make out?
I'm not in the area, I just meant that I hope it's not too bad for the sake of those who are there.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not convinced that the artificial canals (by themselves) contribute to damage from the storm surge. The Casey person seems to conflate the issues because he doesn't like artificial canals for other reasons.

Cape Coral lowered its weirs before the storm. If the water levels in the canals were low when the storm hit, it might actually reduce damage by giving the water somewhere to go (e.g. compared to filling the canals with dirt).

On the other hand, Captain Obvious says that packing a lot of houses on low lying land near a coast that is frequently hit by hurricanes is not a great idea.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not convinced that the artificial canals (by themselves) contribute to damage from the storm surge. The Casey person seems to conflate the issues because he doesn't like artificial canals for other reasons.

Cape Coral lowered its weirs before the storm. If the water levels in the canals were low when the storm hit, it might actually reduce damage by giving the water somewhere to go (e.g. compared to filling the canals with dirt).

On the other hand, Captain Obvious says that packing a lot of houses on low lying land near a coast that is frequently hit by hurricanes is not a great idea.
Well, this doesn't look good.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Im on Florida east coast, thank God we are ok as we were just south of the eye. Prayers for all those affected though. Anyone know how Gene held up? I believe he's on the west coast

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
SC is next on the path of IAN. It's projected to land between Charleston and Georgetown.

highfigh

highfigh

I'm not in the area, I just meant that I hope it's not too bad for the sake of those who are there.
I talked with my friend last night- his area was hit pretty badly, but they got nothing, compared with Ft Meyers. Ft Myers Beach is basically gone, part of the causeway to Sanibel collapsed and it's not passable, so support of all kinds has to fly in by helicopter. His roof is intact, but the places on both sides lost at least part of the rood. He's in a trailer park (don't laugh, some of them sell for >$250K) and one double-wide was still on wheels before the storm hit- it's on its side, now. Another friend keeps a boat and his old van at a marina in Ft Myers- the van moved 8', even though it as a lot of tools/generator/stuff inside, so that will probably be considered a total loss but he hasn't heard anything about the boat's condition. His friend (a certified captain) lives on a boat and he stayed on it during the storm.

Gasoline is very hard to find and EVERYONE needs it. They have nowhere to stay because the hotels and motels were booked before the storm, although I would doubt all of the people who made previous reservations will want to go there unless they'll be helping out with the cleanup- the storm wasn't originally expected to take this path- it was headed farther North, but the sudden turn, catching so many by surprise.....

I can say with absolute certainty that I will never live on low ground and I have no desire to live where a hurricane is a possibility.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I can say with absolute certainty that I will never live on low ground and I have no desire to live where a hurricane is a possibility.
100% agreed on. My own house elevation is a humble 100ft but should be sufficient in most cases for the next few hundred years I expect :)
That said, the location of hurricane possibility is basically anywhere. Climate is changing and weather patterns are changing. At this point, all I know is it's going to get worse, likely much worse and I certainly won't want to live ANYWHERE in Florida, especially near coasts.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis