A Hummer
11,500 ft-lb torque!
1,000 hp!
0-60 in 3 seconds!

WHAT? :eek: :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Unbelievably dumb and unsafe. Can you imagine that truck in the hands of a drunk, or perhaps simply an incompetent driver? F=MA

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Unbelievably dumb and unsafe. Can you imagine that truck in the hands of a drunk, or perhaps simply an incompetent driver? F=MA
Interesting point!
Short of a semi, this thing is going to have power/momentum well beyond any other personal vehicle!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
This may be the most outrageous (in a good/fun way) product of our lifetime:
A Hummer
11,500 ft-lb torque!
1,000 hp!
0-60 in 3 seconds!

WHAT? :eek: :)

Wow - just who would even buy one? I guess it would be a great ride in the mad max movies anyway. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Wow - just who would even buy one? I guess it would be a great ride in the mad max movies anyway. :)
Who bought the original ICE Hummers?
I think the main strike against the originals was that it was such a gas hog and when gas availability was poor there was a lot of shaming going on.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
This thing has to be crazy expensive. Heavy too with any sort of useful battery capacity.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Feels like a big fat Meh. Just a stunt to get some media time. They had the commercial during superbowl.

When I first heard it, even before seeing the commercial, I thought electric Hummer? That's two things that really were never meant to go together, probably not even in the same sentence lol.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
No, it's not an electric vehicle ! It just features an Electro-Voice surround system ! :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Who bought the original ICE Hummers?
I think the main strike against the originals was that it was such a gas hog and when gas availability was poor there was a lot of shaming going on.
The original Hummer or the second and third versions? I only know one owner of the original Hummer, which was very expensive, and he's a wide-body airline pilot. The second Hummer was based on a GM pick-up chassis, less expensive, and more civilized, if less capable off-road. I never met an owner of the second or third versions. Low mileage (< 50K miles) Hummer 2s go for $60K and up. Hummer 1s in great condition are apparently worth more than $100K.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I was sloppy using "original" pretty much any of the Hummers would qualify.
Maybe not the H3.
But to my point here is a good overview (2008) of the evolution/devolution of the Hummer (I didn't know Schwartzenegger was behind the commercialization of the Hummer!):

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
When I first heard it, even before seeing the commercial, I thought electric Hummer?
I admit, my mind shut down at the end of that sentence with a giant "HMMM......" and all sorts of possibilities started to take shape. None related to an EV.

Up here in the north, I expect to see them in the ditch in winter. Sure the weight and 4x4 lets you accelerate better than other vehicles. You still can't stop for crap on icy roads where that's an awful lot of mass to get whoa'd down in a hurry. Driver are dumb. Calling for more snow on Sunday. Looks like a profitable day for tow truck operators.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
It'll weigh less than a full sized pick up truck, which are all over the roads and far easier to get your hands on price wise.

Also, the 11,500 torque rating is not at the crank, its a wheel torque rating, which puts it inline with pick uptrucks depending on the engine and gearing. A full size 3500/350 class truck has more wheel torque than that.

SheepStar

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I admit, my mind shut down at the end of that sentence with a giant "HMMM......" and all sorts of possibilities started to take shape. None related to an EV.

Up here in the north, I expect to see them in the ditch in winter. Sure the weight and 4x4 lets you accelerate better than other vehicles. You still can't stop for crap on icy roads where that's an awful lot of mass to get whoa'd down in a hurry. Driver are dumb. Calling for more snow on Sunday. Looks like a profitable day for tow truck operators.
There's a difference - there's the REAL Humvee it were military, and then there were the FAKE Hummers that were built by GM that were basically a re-skinned Tahoe. The GM one was not exactly a heavy duty vehicle.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
It'll weigh less than a full sized pick up truck, which are all over the roads and far easier to get your hands on price wise.

Also, the 11,500 torque rating is not at the crank, its a wheel torque rating, which puts it inline with pick uptrucks depending on the engine and gearing. A full size 3500/350 class truck has more wheel torque than that.

SheepStar
Wrong.

Full-sized pick-up trucks do not have this class of acceleration. Not even close. The 0-60 times for a 2019 Ram 3500 with the 400hp/1000 ft-lbs engine is about 7 seconds. The Hummer is targeted for 3 seconds.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The majority of acceleration figures are not attainable in real world. Also, the majority of crashes happen once already travelling at speed, not from 0 to 60 to crash. Lastly, the air drag of the body and inherent low speed capability of the EV driveline will probably make this car have a slower top speed. Also, the gas engine trucks are much faster than the 1 ton trucks, a normal Ram hemi/Ford Ecoboost/Chevy 6.2L will handily out perform any 3500/350 pick up in acceleration.

Needless to say, it's going to be really expensive, where as a 400hp truck is readily available and attainable for the majority of the public.

SheepStar

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The majority of acceleration figures are not attainable in real world. Also, the majority of crashes happen once already travelling at speed, not from 0 to 60 to crash. Lastly, the air drag of the body and inherent low speed capability of the EV driveline will probably make this car have a slower top speed. Also, the gas engine trucks are much faster than the 1 ton trucks, a normal Ram hemi/Ford Ecoboost/Chevy 6.2L will handily out perform any 3500/350 pick up in acceleration.

Needless to say, it's going to be really expensive, where as a 400hp truck is readily available and attainable for the majority of the public.

SheepStar
You should really stick to detailing, because this entire response is either tangential or irrelevant or nonsense. Now you've got me sounding like TLSGuy, which is a really bad sign.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
You should really stick to detailing, because this entire response is either tangential or irrelevant or nonsense. Now you've got me sounding like TLSGuy, which is a really bad sign.
You should really try answer questions or refuting points, it makes your point stronger.

The max weight of a F150/Silverado 1500/Ram 1500 is between 4900 - 5300lbs. The weight of the Previous Hummer H2 is 6400 lbs.

The fastest 0-60 times for these trucks is between 6.1 seconds to 5.2 seconds, the Hummer is ~10.5.

My point - They can already go fast enough, and have enough mass, to do massive damage. What an EV hummer CAN'T do that these can, is recharge in 2 minutes (gas station) and be bought with any regularity (it's going to be expensive, and with limited production).

Also, cars that do 0-60 in the sub 4 second range can't do it on crowded streets. I've driven cars that do 0-60 in 3 or less seconds before, you need to plan it thoroughly. Those specs you're seeing above are probably for the highest spec, most expensive version they make. Knowing GM, they probably will either roll back those figures, or have some absurd scenario to achieve them.

SheepStar

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Alright. A Tesla P100D has 778hp and a curb weight of 5003lbs. That's 6.43lbs per horsepower. The Tesla does 0-60 in 2.5sec, and 0-100 in 6.4sec. The Hummer has 1000hp, and GM is only claiming 0-60 in 3.0sec, so how much can the Hummer weigh and achieve a 0-60 in 3.0sec? That's easy, 6430lbs, and let's round up to 7000lbs because we're only talking 3.0sec.

The P100D battery weighs about 1200 pounds, but an ICE Hummer has an engine, transmission, and three differentials. Oh yeah, and a cooling system and a 60lbs battery for the electrical system. The EV will have two motors (maybe three), two differentials, but no transmission. A fully dressed V8 gas engine will weigh in at maybe 600-700lbs, the transmission about 300lbs, and 100-150lbs for the front and rear differentials, and probably 50-75lbs for the center differential. (These are educated guesses.) So throw in steel driveshafts, and lets guess the ICE drivetrain weighs something like 1400-1500lbs.

Each Tesla motor weighs 70lbs, let's say 100lbs for grins. That's 200lbs total, and another 200lbs for differentials. So the Hummer EV drivetrain probably weighs something like 1200+200+200 = 1600lbs. But even if it weighed 500lbs more, I still believe GM's performance estimate even at 7000lbs.

My point about safety is that I've driven a P90D, and there's no planning necessary. You just punch it, and speed happens. Now. It's totally different than an ICE car. That's what max torque at zero rpm does. I think a huge 7000lbs vehicle with instantaneous power is more dangerous to others than a similarly quick 2020 Corvette. And, BTW, the 2020 Corvette is testing out to meet GM's targets, so that gives them some credibility you're not giving them.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
EV production specs vs planned specs usually never follow through completely. The fact that GM is using crank torque figures is pretty laughable as it is - NO ONE uses that figure, otherwise a Ram 3500 has 35,000 tq.

I'm glad you brought up Telas. As you can see in your own post, they weigh as much as a F150/etc etc, but can accelerate no LESS that 5.6 seconds to 60 (every model can be optioned up to hit the 3 second range). By your logic, we'd have dead bodies all over the road because they can A.) Accelerate extremely fast, and B.) are heavy vehicles. Thing is, we don't, and it's not like Telas isn't selling, they're creaming the luxury market right now hand over fits compared to their peers. The reason for it is that when people get behind the wheel of cars like this, they stop and think for a second before mashing the go pedal. It's not about how easy it is to physically stomp a gas pedal, it's the fact that when it's sub 3 seconds, you will almost always let off or wait for a gap.

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis