HTPC Wireless keyboard/Mouse

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Hey everyone - I will be finishing my basic HTPC soon and need a wireless keyboard mouse for it. The HTPC will be behind me in a closet, but I could leave the door open. My seat will be about 12 feet away.

Any success stories or suggestions? Thanks.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I've used my Logitech MX Duo for HTPC duties, but it has a limited range. You might want to look into a bluetooth board/mouse combo. I was roughly 8 feet away. Any more and mine would cut out.

SheepStar

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the suggestion. What's the typical useful range on a bluetooth keyboard/mouse? Would it work through a solid core door behind me?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for the suggestion. What's the typical useful range on a bluetooth keyboard/mouse? Would it work through a solid core door behind me?
I've heard it was around 30-35 feet. If you need more then that, you'd be at the local theater :D

SheepStar

None of the above... Get a gyration mouse and keyboard... Woot has had them on sale for like $35 for both in the past... Check ebay and other sources... RF and nothing like it.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
Gyration Ultra Professional Optical Suite

Not the $35 you mention. But it is the 100' version and comes with two batteries. My office has the same one in the conference center which is huge, so I imagine in my 15X23 room, it should work fine.

So over the weekend I should have the basic HTPC setup (mostly for netflix instant downloads :D ). Waiting for the HD, HDTV adapter for my old Radeon 9500PRO and now the keyboard/mouse to arrive.

I'll let people know how it works out.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
See, that keyboard is cheap and has a good range, but its a junk. The key layout is horrible if you want to do any gaming.

The MX5000 is said it be pretty buggy.

SheepStar

majorloser

majorloser

See, that keyboard is cheap and has a good range, but its a junk. The key layout is horrible if you want to do any gaming.

The MX5000 is said it be pretty buggy.

SheepStar
Haven't run into any problem, yet. I like really the laser mouse, though.

majorloser

majorloser

I don't think people do much gaming on HTPCs to be honest...
But games do look damn good on the "big screen" :D

True, most people aren't going to build computers that have the high end video cards and high end CPU's that a real gaming computer have, but it's still fun to play games on a front projector system.

I just need to come up with a nice way to use a keyboard and mouse while lounging in the recliner :rolleyes:

Find a keyboard that has everything you need built in. I find the biggest PITA is a mouse or pointing device. If you could find something with a trackball built in that might work out nice.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
At some point I plan on playing new games on the "big screen," but right now they will be old ones since my HTCP is being built from a bunch of old parts:

Asus A7n8x motherboard (deluxe)
Athlon Xp 2500+ Barton
2*256mg PC3200 RAM I got off an old Dell
ATI 9500Pro graghics card (with component video adapter)
250gb ATA133 HD
DVD ROM drive from an old HP computer
generic CDROM drive
cheapo case that ended up being $9.99 after rebate
don't remember the power supply
No dedicated soundcard at this point as I will use the Coax out from the motherboard

It's not going to be able to play Oblivion at Very High settings like my main desktop, but AoE III, Warcraft, and Diablo might be good.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis