HTPC video card issue

M

mathyou9

Enthusiast
So my computer has an NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS video card (128MB). I'm using Windows Media Center (Vista). My problem: whenever I tune to an HD channel, the computer crashes.

Currently I have Windows Media Center set at a resolution of 1366x768 (i.e., the native resolution of my 37" Toshiba Regza TV.) When I set the resolution to 480 lines, HD channels display just fine and the computer doesn't crash. But why watch HD at 480 lines, right? (tangentially, 1080i, being digital, downscaled to 480i still looks better than analog 480i, but I digress ...)

So I'm looking at getting a greater-memory video card that can handle the resolution of HD. Any suggestions? Thanks.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
how much of the systems resources are being used when veiwing tv? how much ram installed? Have you tried another program to view the tv, other than mce. has this always been the case or just recently?

M

mathyou9

Enthusiast
how much of the systems resources are being used when veiwing tv? how much ram installed? Have you tried another program to view the tv, other than mce. has this always been the case or just recently?
I doubt much of the system resources are being used. When I'm using media center, I'm not using anything else. This issue has only been recently (i.e., I only added [over-the-air] HD just barely.)

My TV tuner (ATI Theater 650, IIRC) has a[n analog] cable TV input and a digital [ATSC] antenna input. The cable input does not tune [unencrypted] QAM channels, so all of its channels are [SD] analog. The digital HD channels are tuned via the digitial antenna input.

As for other programs to view tv signals, I have none. Media Center is all I have.

Anyway, here's a rundown of my system specs pertinent to the issue:

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer - Dell Inc.
Model Inspiron - 530
Total amount of system memory - 2.00 GB RAM
System type - 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores - 2
64-bit capable - Yes

Graphics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type - NVIDIA GeForce 8300 GS
Total available graphics memory - 894 MB
Dedicated graphics memory - 128 MB
Dedicated system memory - 0 MB
Shared system memory - 766 MB
Display adapter driver version - 7.15.11.5828
Primary monitor resolution - 1680x1050
DirectX version - DirectX 9.0 or better

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
other than the shared memory on the graphics card being limited, im not sure. Try viewing with software other than mce, to rull out that conflict and set the resolution to lower amount to check that also. good luck

M

mathyou9

Enthusiast
Are there any free or open-source software I can download? All I have is Windows Media Center.

M

mathyou9

Enthusiast
So I tried Media Portal; somehow it wouldn't recognize my tuner. But I did update my nvidia card with the latest driver and that seems to have mostly solved my problem. That is, HD channels in 720p display just fine and are just as fluid as the SD signal. But the HD channels in 1080i are a bit choppy (as if there is not enough buffer.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would seem that increasing the dedicated video memory might fully resolve this problem. ????

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
it would increase proformance and reduce recources:D good luck

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis