htpc software and how good is it working

vizionut

vizionut

Audioholic General
I thought i would start a post about your htpc pc and problems you might have with it. I am having problems with (bd) these days. This is after updating to windows 7. What a bunch of bs about the blu-ray disk softare war with ms and sony,come on ms get on board with the times:mad: Not that that would help anyway.

mperfct

mperfct

Audioholic Samurai
not to derail your thread, but what's going on with your HP? Can you give me some details? I was thinking about buying a win7 HP in the next 6 or so months.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Right now my HTPC runs perfectly, it's also running Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I may try to see how it works with Win. 7, but I'll make sure I have a fresh backup image to revert back to if I don't like the results. The only thing I would want with my HTPC is for it to bitstream via the HDMI on the videocard, but hopefully that will come to fruition after the entry level Radeon 5000 series cards come out, and when Arcsoft and/or PowerDVD come up with a new version or a patch that supports bitstreaming.

vizionut

vizionut

Audioholic General
not to derail your thread, but what's going on with your HP? Can you give me some details? I was thinking about buying a win7 HP in the next 6 or so months.
My (bd) sound will not work from my htpc. I have had problems with (bd) sound and video from the beginning. I got everything working fine before i upgraded to window 7:cool. After upgrade i have been having problems with sound only,video is great by the way. I have been on hp forums but they tell me that the probem is documented and they are looking into it.

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
My quick suggestion is to start windows like normal then go to your device manager and roll back your video card to the previous driver. I had to do that after upgrading my htpc to windows 7 as well.

Other suggestion is to make sure you're sending an HDTV signal, not a PC signal. Meaning the resolution should be 1920 x 1080, etc, not something funky. My PC wouldn't pass audio using a PC resolution...this was using NVIDIA control panel settings.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I tried Windows 7 and played BD with PDVD9 & TMT3.

Both crashes with every BD movie I played after about 30 minutes.

So I went back to Vista Ultimate. No issues here.

If it's not broken, I'm not fixing it.:D

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I tried Windows 7 and played BD with PDVD9 & TMT3.

Both crashes with every BD movie I played after about 30 minutes.

So I went back to Vista Ultimate. No issues here.

If it's not broken, I'm not fixing it.:D
Were you running 32 or 64 bit Wi. 7?

vizionut

vizionut

Audioholic General
You are the man

My quick suggestion is to start windows like normal then go to your device manager and roll back your video card to the previous driver. I had to do that after upgrading my htpc to windows 7 as well.

Other suggestion is to make sure you're sending an HDTV signal, not a PC signal. Meaning the resolution should be 1920 x 1080, etc, not something funky. My PC wouldn't pass audio using a PC resolution...this was using NVIDIA control panel settings.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was not sure if it would work but it did.:D:D
When i first upgraded to windows 7 and by bd player was not working i did check device manager and it did not have the roll back option so i was sol.
I guess i got a drive update since then and the feature was availble this time so i tride it. Much to my suprise it worked better than i would have thought.I now get digital dts and dolby digital out to the receiver. That makes me a very happy camper by the way.

Thanks again for the suggestion
pb

F

fredk

Audioholic General
My HTPC would work perfectly IF I could pick up a $100 bd player AND a $50 card that would just pass the stuff on the disk to my receiver. How hard can it be??

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
Running XBMC on an original Xbox. Looking to build a new HTPC to run either XBMC for Linux or XBMC Live depending on how much I want to spend. The original Xbox is having issues with lack of memory.

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the suggestion. I was not sure if it would work but it did.:D:D
When i first upgraded to windows 7 and by bd player was not working i did check device manager and it did not have the roll back option so i was sol.
I guess i got a drive update since then and the feature was availble this time so i tride it. Much to my suprise it worked better than i would have thought.I now get digital dts and dolby digital out to the receiver. That makes me a very happy camper by the way.

Thanks again for the suggestion
pb

Very glad to hear it's working for you! Drivers are finicky things, I often just wait a bit when I have a problem and the manufacturer pops out an update which fixes it. HTPC's can be a serious pain, but they're great once they're dialed in and working properly!

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
My HTPC would work perfectly IF I could pick up a $100 bd player AND a $50 card that would just pass the stuff on the disk to my receiver. How hard can it be??
Regarding the card, I would suggest looking into this. A buddy just bought it and is quite happy with it. The HD 4650 series can output 7.1. Pair that card with this, and you should be under budget!

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Regarding the card, I would suggest looking into this. A buddy just bought it and is quite happy with it. The HD 4650 series can output 7.1. Pair that card with this, and you should be under budget!
Its a nice card, but it doesn't pass the HD audio codecs. I am hoping that the new 56xx cards will do all this well. That last word is the key.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Just installled Win. 7 Pro 32 bit on my media PC and am using a Radeon 4350 card, everything works great, blu rays play back with full 7.1 PCM using TMT, haven't tried PowerDVD 9, but I'm sure it would work fine as well. Now I just have to wait for some lower end Radeon 5000 series cards so I can bitstream.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis