HTPC on the $300 Budget

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Preface:
Hey I just saw the HTPC Case sticky and decided to share my own experience with building HTPC on the budget.
I know a LOT of folks here have unlimited budgets for their HT dreams, but many still seem to get the buck worth as much as possible.

Now is the big question: Do you think $300 is barely enough for case itself, but I'm talking about $300 for the whole HTPC.

Some people might not be aware recently Nvidia announced the ION platform.
Basically its paired Atom processor and GeForce 9400 GPU.
You'd ask - Atom CPU for HTPC?? Am I'm joking? Nope. Offloading video processing is more than en ought to process 1080p video easily.

Only very recently this platform and it's benefits were only available to select few Linux enthusiasts, since cooperation between Linux community and Nvidia, latter produced special special VPDAU drivers for select Geforce video cards, including 9400 which was included in ION Platform.

But luckily for most of us (aka Not linux experts) devs made Video processing acceleration in Media managers running Windows a reality.

New Boxee Beta, which [strike]will[/strike] should be publicly available January 7, which features Windows DXVA video accelerations support.

I don't want to repeat zillion of features Boxee software does, but let me assure you all the basics (DVD navigation, ISO support, MKV, 1080p, FLAC, Hulu, Netflix, IR remotes support a hell lot more - all covered.

Some screenshots and info here: http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/07/boxee-beta-unveiled-refreshed-ui-directx-support-and-new-cont/

Now lets get down to bottom line: How much it'll set me back?
As I said $300 (or a bit more ;)
Newegg right now is running combo promotion to get [strike]all[/strike] most of the pieces to get up fully blown Boxee?

This combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.304688
will cost you $304 after small rebate.
Now this is DIY system, which pretty easy to assemble , much much easier then building speakers :)

The system is capable of HDMI, Gig port, Optical SPDIF out, network, VGA&DVI ports, analog outs. Combo includes 500Gb harddrive which is pretty rare at this price point, if not impossible.

If you feel a bit scared by DIY computers, ASRock makes really nice ready systems for a bit more (Blue-Ray Drive and IR Remote optional)

Software costs: Boxee is free, If you decide to build it on Ubuntu - total cost would be $0, but windows 7 (which runs great on this system) will be a bit more....

Thou boxee beta is in closed beta, some people were able to get it from elsewhere ;)

Microsoft MCE IR Receiver (it's Dell OEM equivalent) will set you back another $15 on ebay (I assume you already have Harmony remote)

P.s: Newegg promotion is running out soon, so rush if you are interested.

I'll be here to answer your questions.

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
Is there a way to put a cable card into this so I can record my shows on it?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Is there a way to put a cable card into this so I can record my shows on it?
Hmm, Not really, except some serious case hacking.
The board does have full x16 pci-e slot, but its useless in this case.
So you are ether get a diff case : say: Mini-ATX case or get find flex-pci-e cable and like i said mod the case

or option #3: external USB TV tuner...

ivseenbetter

ivseenbetter

Senior Audioholic
As long as it is a possibility. I may jump on board with this. I'm not sure yet.

I'm currently tinkering with a WHS setup that I put together using old parts. Ultimately, I would like to figure out how to set up my WHS with a TV tuner and just record using that box. That way I only have to worry about one source to serve my entire house. Then use something like what you have below to access the recording on the WHS.

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
Good write up boredsysadmin, I'm using a $300 Acer pc I picked for 7.1 onboard sound from the geforce 8200 mb + windows 7 media center due to familiarity, now just waiting for the cheaper sounds cards to bitstream hd audio.

It's exciting to see all the new low power processors with 1080p support, next year should bring a lot of new affordable opportunities for people!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
New ASRock Ion Models can bitstream hd audio if im not mistaken...

fightinkraut

fightinkraut

Full Audioholic
New ASRock Ion Models can bitstream hd audio if im not mistaken...
I'd be pretty interested if that was the case, I seem to remember they can multichannel LPCM, but no bitstream of HD audio. Any idea where you saw that? Thanks!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd be pretty interested if that was the case, I seem to remember they can multichannel LPCM, but no bitstream of HD audio. Any idea where you saw that? Thanks!
Hmm, It looks like I got confused and jumped the gun, for some reason I assumed if it have DTS connect and 7.1 support, HD Audio would be supported, but it looks like its not.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/2792/asrock_ion_330_bd_nettop_affordable_overclockable_and_1080p_hd/index11.html

http://netbooked.net/blog/asrock-ion-330-bd-nettop-with-blu-ray-drive-reviewed/

Still, Down-sampling HDAudio to 640Kbps Dolby Digital will be probably barely noticeable in 99.9% cases... exception are AHs ;)

Chatta

Chatta

Junior Audioholic
How about a second hand Mac mini?

I am building a Mac mini HT system for my dad. It is great! got a second hand Mac mini for $400 on ebay. Itune everything from Mov, PIC, Podcast to music... all via Apple Remote:) If then you hook up an USB HDD with Time Machine you know your collection is in good hand :)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Older Mac mini is also good choice for htpc box, in fact you can run Boxee Beta or Plex on OS X. They don't have good gpu, but people reported than Intel dual core 1.6-1.8 Ghz (depends on the model) is sufficient for HD video playback (mkv etc).
As I mentioned in other threads - (search for "WD Live") you'll want to get mini-display - hdmi cable and mini-jack to toslink adapter both pretty cheap on monoprice

D

dllb

Audiophyte
Don't expect it to play *anything* without dropping frames or loosing sync though. For example, 1080i h264 (or even MPEG2) content with double-frame rate deinterlacing (if your FULL-HD TV/Projector can't do a descent job) the most demanding test, especially at 29.97 fps.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't expect it to play *anything* without dropping frames or loosing sync though. For example, 1080i h264 (or even MPEG2) content with double-frame rate deinterlacing (if your FULL-HD TV/Projector can't do a descent job) the most demanding test, especially at 29.97 fps.
Are you using Boxee/Plex on Mac Mini ?? What are the specs?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Pics !!

I know how everyone on this forum loves pichers, so here are some shots of my HTPC

A

arkight

Junior Audioholic
hey i need an update on this what can i do now for a PC any ideas?

A

arkight

Junior Audioholic
ok let me ask you i want to use this to store movies and some music and play them on different TV throught the house is this guy capaiable of doing that and what is the hard drive limitations on this guy. Whould it be good to use windows home server to do something like this?

Could i use the cat5 wired in the house to send HD video/audio to a TV help me out i want to make something like that

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
ok let me ask you i want to use this to store movies and some music and play them on different TV throught the house is this guy capaiable of doing that and what is the hard drive limitations on this guy. Whould it be good to use windows home server to do something like this?

Could i use the cat5 wired in the house to send HD video/audio to a TV help me out i want to make something like that
Sorry for a very late response, but I guess late is better than never:
Yes, mine has 500g hard drive in side, so I have lots of local storage, however the mail purpose of this little tiny box is NOT being media server, but a media client. You could build atom based file/media server, but I'd rather get much bigger case to hold additional drives.

As far as I know windows home server doesn't get sold separately and you'll have to buy it with home server itself.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
what is everyones interface with this do you use a remote, keyboard/mouse???

I have a Universal Remote Control MX-450 it has both RF & IR
http://www.universalremote.com/product_detail.php?model=154
I bought for this Dell USB MPC IR Receiver off ebay for about $45... I think people still sell them. You could get another mpc receivers, but they had mixed reviews. Dell one is actually very good and I had no issues with that.
I configured my universal remote to control it using Microsoft Media PC keyboard codes and it works great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis