A

arkight

Junior Audioholic
OK i would like to get a system set up. I need some help i need to know where to start and what would be a good pc to get to do this with on the cheep. Is there a good getting started link or something? Can i send HD movies to other tv throught CAT5 that is already wired to where my tv's are that is basicall my goal i wana be able to do that. How can i acomplish this.

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
OK i would like to get a system set up. I need some help i need to know where to start and what would be a good pc to get to do this with on the cheep. Is there a good getting started link or something? Can i send HD movies to other tv throught CAT5 that is already wired to where my tv's are that is basicall my goal i wana be able to do that. How can i acomplish this.
Take a look at this thread.

Then get yourself some of these.

A

arkight

Junior Audioholic
thanks any other suggestions one a good way to do this.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I'm a huge fan of the WDTV Live. Just connect to your network/media server and then to your TV. This is by far the simplest solution I've liked. I have a pc with all my media on it and this device finds and plays all of it. The HD looks and sounds fantastic. I don't have to worry about having a great computer, just one that can store all of my media. You can even just buy a giant external drive, save your movies on it and you're good to go. If you're not great with computer stuff, this is a no brainer. There are other boxes that do the same thing, but I seriously could not be happier with this.

D

dalessandro12

Audioholic
I'm a huge fan of the WDTV Live.
I like this. I have a HTPC right now and am looking to replace it. I love it, but don't want to have a computer running in my family room. WD Live plays almost all formats you can throw at it (I've done research on it).

I am copying my movie files on a new PC/server as we speak so I can just map to it. Boxee Box is suppose to be released soon as well which is also a PC-less way to stream movies from a PC (other DLNA devices are out there too but don't have much experience with them).

A

arkight

Junior Audioholic
so i can get something like that put it where i want the movies to play have a server in anorther room and link them al togetther and go to town with it right. OK now my next question whats a good server to get? Would i have to have one of those WDboxes in each room i want to watch something in?

Alos any other ways to do this i know there are tons of way just getting some ideaes to get my research going.

RaT

RaT

Junior Audioholic
I'm a huge fan of the WDTV Live. Just connect to your network/media server and then to your TV. This is by far the simplest solution I've liked. I have a pc with all my media on it and this device finds and plays all of it. The HD looks and sounds fantastic. I don't have to worry about having a great computer, just one that can store all of my media. You can even just buy a giant external drive, save your movies on it and you're good to go. If you're not great with computer stuff, this is a no brainer. There are other boxes that do the same thing, but I seriously could not be happier with this.
Do you like the interface? Do you have a external USB drive and how large? What about something like Apple TV with a built in hard drive if I understand it correctly? Thanks..

A

arkight

Junior Audioholic
i have no idea what apple tv. Let me try to rephrase what i want to acomplish. I want to be able to watch/listen my movies/music form an tv in the house watching hulu and stuff like that would be a plus but not required. I supppose i will need to get some big harddrives togetther in a server or something i might have the termonology worg but i think you get the idea.

I am going to buy a bluray drive for my main pc for ripping blurays/dvs. how can this get accomlished i might be on th wrong track could someone get me started looking in the right dirction. Any more help would be apprecieated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis