HTPC case, parts for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was SUPPOSED to be a HTPC for sale ad... It was SUPPOSED to be a formatted, tweaked out HTPC that someone could add to, subtract from, or otherwise modify to their heart's content...

But then I fired it up for the first time in about a year and started smelling ozone.

So now, my friends, I am selling an HTPC case that comes with the following (which may or may not work correctly):

• Digitalis Vision II HTPC case (beautiful and elegant)
  • Blue Matrix Orbital VFD (vacuum florescent display)
  • MSI PT-880 Neo motherboard w/ digital audio output, SATA, USB 2.0
  • Pentium 4 processor w/CoolJag CPU cooler
  • ATI Radeon 9700Pro graphics card
  • 200GB hard drive plus a separate system drive
  • 512MB PC2700 DDR RAM (with 2 slots available)
  • Coolmax AP-400X 350W power supply
  • CD-R/RW
  • DVD Drive
  • ADS Tech ATSC HDTV tuner card
  • Promise Ultra133 TX2 dual channel PCI card
  • Round IDE cables, Chassis fan
I imagine that either the motherboard or the power supply is bad... probably not both... I simply do not know, nor will I invest further time to diagnose the problem.

Do I hear $350 for this case full of parts? The case alone cost $329 new plus $89 for for the Vacuum Florescent Display.

I am selling this AS-IS... No refunds, but it will arrive safely as I have the original box for the Digitalis HTPC case.

Shipping is a flat $25. I'll insure it for the price of the sale.

Read the Editorial on this experience here.

Attachments

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
The fixer upper...

You want me to fix this for you? I can, ya know. If you send it my way, I have parts I can swap in and out to determine if something is bad. It'll kind of be my third or fourth project at the moment, but It'll get done. What do you say? Ready for a working HTPC? Ok, I'll get the machine running, but the software is another story. *grin* Let me know...

majorloser

majorloser

Can't you get your EE buddy to help ya' out? (HINT, HINT Gene)
What good is all the schoolin' if he can't fix computers and microwave ovens. :D

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
MAME it!

Better yet, just let me turn it into an Arcade Behemoth! It'll be happier, that way. You won't have to mess with any tv or HD anything. It'll just live out it's days playing Ms. Pac Man and Donkey Kong, or a good game of Robotron... Yeah!

Check out my cab: http://www.jdrobbins.com/mamecab.html

You can salvage that hardware for something!

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
Good parts selection for the most part but.... a Coolmax PSU??? :eek: No wonder it failed. A good quality PSU is a must and Coolmax is not. A cheap PSU, even when working, can cause lock-ups and many seemingly software related issues. I would seriously consider buying it as I have always wanted to experiment with an HTPC but I have other expenses I must tend to. :(

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
I'll fix it, at bare minimal cost. (20.00)
Trust me, I have the parts here to fix it in 10 minutes.:p

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
Wish I had the $$ for this, I have been wanting to venture into the HTPC world. Doesnt it have a hard drive?

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
Oh, what's that? You want it to work? Properly? All the time?

Fuggeddaboutit

Imagine a car that you built yourself. Now imagine a car that has parts made all over the world, by different manufacturers - some big, some small. None of who work together on a regular basis or have any true way of testing their products with the mass accumulation of the sum total of parts available. Microsoft makes the engine.

Congrats. You have just described why I'm an Apple guy, not a PC guy....

:D

J

Jim Robbins

Audioholic
Congrats. You have just described why I'm an Apple guy, not a PC guy....
Did you upgrade to Leopard yet, apple guy? They even added the Blue Screen of Death, I hear. *laugh* All computers have problems... *sigh* Just the way it is. I wonder how we got to the moon? It wasn't with a modern OS on the shuttle, that's for sure!

Somebody buy his computer already! Probably just needs a new Power Supply, as was previously mentioned....

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
Did you upgrade to Leopard yet, apple guy? They even added the Blue Screen of Death, I hear. *laugh* All computers have problems... *sigh* Just the way it is. I wonder how we got to the moon? It wasn't with a modern OS on the shuttle, that's for sure!

All it takes is to mention Apple and it gets you guys going, doesn't it?

Yes, Jim, I'm on Leopard. So far, no blue screen. All is well in my little Jobsian universe... NEVER a problem here, as far as you know! lol

Dina's computer has been infected by Leopard too, you will be saddened to know...

A

autoboy

Audioholic
Wow, what a hodgepodge of computer parts. When I read the article I felt bad for you because I had the same stupid issues with my HTPC, but then I saw the parts you used to build it and I feel even sadder for you. Seriously, you need a REAL HTPC built by someone who knows how to build a HTPC. One that is quiet, cool, attractive, stable, and efficient. The software, now that is the REAL problem.

C

Cytomax

Enthusiast
Allow me to help me help you....
All i am asking is you watch this video about a kubuntu/mythtv hybrid called LinuxMCE
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=Y8MRFK8P

LinuxMCE looks to be the next best thing since sliced bread...
It can control
TV
Lights
Alarm System
Phone System
You entire Home Network
EVERYTHING.. minus your wife of course lol..

All you need is the guys exact hardware setup and your done
http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Video#Equipment_used_in_the_demo

You already have the
Case
PSU
Harddrive

All you need is
Mobo
CPU
RAM
TV Tuner

Which cant cost more than $300

Eddie

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
Myself and a couple close friends all have HTPCs (at least part-time HT, part-time gaming), and this article rings so true. It's easy to spend several weeks just getting things working properly, and we are all "computer people". I can't imagine how hard it would be for someone who doesn't understand the ins-and-outs of hardware drivers and media codecs.

W

Wakefield103

Audiophyte
Wow, what a hodgepodge of computer parts. When I read the article I felt bad for you because I had the same stupid issues with my HTPC, but then I saw the parts you used to build it and I feel even sadder for you. Seriously, you need a REAL HTPC built by someone who knows how to build a HTPC. One that is quiet, cool, attractive, stable, and efficient. The software, now that is the REAL problem.
autoboy, what parts would you use to build a HTPC?

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
Myself and a couple close friends all have HTPCs (at least part-time HT, part-time gaming), and this article rings so true. It's easy to spend several weeks just getting things working properly, and we are all "computer people". I can't imagine how hard it would be for someone who doesn't understand the ins-and-outs of hardware drivers and media codecs.
Thanks for that honest input. I have no problem with people wanting HTPC's, and some people will want to argue pro/con. Just because something is hard to work with or needs tinkering doesn't make it invalid. Some people dig that. For others it's a nightmare. Anyway, thanks for such a candid post.

U

umdivx

Audiophyte
autoboy, what parts would you use to build a HTPC?
All really depends on what your plans are. IF you want a HD DVD/Blu Ray playing HTC then you'll want a more beefy system with Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs of ram and atleast an 8600GT or 2400HD.

Now if you just want a simple HTPC that plays back DVD, media files, music, and does some DVRing with tuner cards then you can easily get away with lower end/older hardware.

For example my current HTPC specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel P4 3.2ghz HT prescott core
RAM: 2gigs
MOBO: Asus P4P800-E Deluxe
CASE: Antec Sonata II 450watt psu
Video: Nvidia 7900GS AGP
Audio: Chaintech AV710
Tuner Cards: 2 x Vista view Sabar 1-DN-I ATSC/NTSC 2 x Avermedia A180 ATSC total of 4 ATSC and 2 NTSC

300gig OS drive, 2 x 500gig DVR storage.

Mpeg2 decoder: Nvidia Purevideo

Codecs: FFdshow, Divx, xvid, core AVC

I think thats really about it. Its honestly just a matter of getting the right hardware for the right setup. and I also have to agree that the hardware used by the OP was really a half arsed setup and was honestly doomed from the beginning.

- Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis