HTPC but no idea what I'm doing?

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
Well I have absolutely no idea what I need for an HTPC but I have a lot of ideas about what I want it to do.

1. HDMI video out to my receiver
2. Act as DVR
3. digital audio out to receiver
4. capable of control by remote, mouse, and keyboard
5. browse internet
6. play my music

Would this work:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4256930
plus this for cable:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116016

Finally, if this is the crappiest HTPC setup you've ever seen, make sure you point that out, as I said I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm open to suggestions.

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
Duuuude... build your own PC.

If you don't know how, have someone go through and build it for you...
That way, you know the computer... and the computer knows you. You can specify exactly what kind of processing power you need, things like that. You can sometimes save a lot of money doing it this way, also.

And be sure that you get a video card that supports the resolution of your television (if you don't have a hi-def TV, I would suggest one with a Media PC)... 720p = 1280x720 (or 768)... 1020p = 1920x1080

But if you can't do any of that...

The system you speced on tigerdirect may not be the best for you...

Recording video takes up a lot of space... I would suggest something with a little more hard drive space... or buy an external drive (I have a 1TB drive for my media files)...

I don't believe that PC has a TV Tuner card either... these are required to actually read your satellite/cable/ota signal... you can get USB variations of these, or internal cards for the PC if you plan to go with that one and want to add that functionality.

You may also want something that reads/burns Blu-Ray, as that would allow you to watch Hi Def movies right from the PC.

You can get wireless keyboard, mice, and remotes that would work with the system.

If you do go with that system, here are a few upgrades that I would suggest you do yourself...

TV Tuner Cards: (Here you can find cards that support HDTV, and even come with remotes...)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380047+1685342847&Configurator=&Subcategory=47&description=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Terabyte and larger hard drives:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150414+131021336&Configurator=&Subcategory=414&description=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Blue-Ray Burners/Readers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&SubCategory=600&N=2010100600&SpeTabStoreType=1

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the reply. I would be all for building a PC, never done it but I'm not against trying it out if it will get me a better HTPC for cheaper. I linked to the TV tuner cards in my original post and I'm pretty pumped you linked to the same ones. What would be necessary as far as processor specs and what not. Maybe even a suggested place to start as I've never built a computer.

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
Thanks for the reply. I would be all for building a PC, never done it but I'm not against trying it out if it will get me a better HTPC for cheaper. I linked to the TV tuner cards in my original post and I'm pretty pumped you linked to the same ones. What would be necessary as far as processor specs and what not. Maybe even a suggested place to start as I've never built a computer.
If you are thinking of building your own PC (YAY!) I would say start with the basics...

First you need a case... the type depends on you. There are regular towers, slim cases that are designed for a cabinet or underneath the TV, and even Micro Cases that are small and compact. Be aware that the case has a lot to do with the cooling of the PC, the smaller Micro Cases tend to overheat... Since you are a first timer, I would suggest you just stick to the regular towers...

Again, newegg has a wide variety of decently priced hardware...

Cases: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090007+1054808287+1295819208+105510017&Configurator=&Subcategory=7&description=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

After you have chosen the correct case, I would suggest you move on to the motherboard... something important to take into consideration here is that the motherboard is dependent upon the processor that you choose, and vice versa. While looking at motherboards, also look at the compatible processors.

The processor you choose should be based on the amount of work you intend your computer to do, and how quiet you need your PC to be. If you want a silent machine, you will need a processor that uses low amounts of power, thusly running cooler than higher end processors.

AMD Processors (all 64bit): http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343+50001028+1266316752&Configurator=&Subcategory=343&description=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Intel Processors (all 64bit): http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343+50001157+1266316752&Configurator=&Subcategory=343&description=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

The motherboard should have either on board hi definition audio outputs, or none at all, as you can get a sound card later on down the line. There are even video cards that have a sound processor built right in, thus allowing you to use one single HDMI connection for both hi def audio and video. Most motherboards will also have on board USB, Firewire, network, and keyboard/mice connections. You must also make sure that the motherboard supports the processor that you have chosed... you can do this by checking what SOCKET TYPE the processor is, and then searching through the two choices below and matching a motherboard with the processor (make sure you choose either the AMD motherboards for an AMD processor, or INTEL motherboards for an INTEL processor).

Intel Mobos:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=280&name=Intel-Motherboards

AMD Mobos:

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=22&name=AMD-Motherboards

After those items have been chosen, you can move on to the specifics.

Did the Motherboard have on-board hi def audio? If not, go to newegg and search for PCI audio cards...

Find the correct video card... try for something with HDMI, up to 512MB RAM, and sometimes a TV tuner. There may even be ones with audio out supported. If you get an AGP video card, make sure the motherboard you have chosen has an AGP slot. If the video card is PCI, you are solid.

Find RAM that is compatible with your motherboard. DDR2/DDR3 (You can ask for more detail later, once you have picked out the motherboard)...

Find a SATA Blu Ray burner/reader...

And a media reader/writer if need be.

If the video card you have chosen doesn't have a TV tuner, find that next.

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
Thank you so much for all this information. What should I look for as far as speed on the processor? I don't want to over build this as it's going to sit under the TV and get used mostly for music, web browsing, and as a DVR. The less money I throw at it, the better as long as it still does everything I listed above.

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
Well, from a price view... go for an Intel Celeron Dual Core... or one of the mid-priced AMD's...

Either that, or give a few extra bucks to an Intel Core2 or an Intel Dual Core... They are pretty nice processors and shouldn't dissapoint.

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
What I've got so far:
Case
Processor
Motherboard
And thats what I've got so far...
Excellent! The motherboard that you have chosen also has on-board hi-def audio outputs... so you don't necessarily need to find a video card that supports that.

Now you need to piece together the remaining hardware...

Memory: You need 240-pin DDR2 (Dual Channel) memory... You have a couple options here. Since you are using this as a pretty basic computer, you can either throw in 1GB or 2GB or RAM. The processor you have chosen is 64-bit capable... meaning you can even go up to 4GB or 16GB. This is solely your own choice. I myself would probably go for 2GB, as this machine isn't going to be a "powerhouse". (4GB = http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166 )

Video Card: Overview the ones that we were looking at from NewEgg... since you aren't looking for a machine that has gaming capabilities... go for something on the cheaper side, that has HDMI outputs. A PCI video card would be preferable, either that or a PCI Express x1 style card.

TV Tuner Card: You already have one of these in mind ;)

Hard Drive: You need a SATA type hard drive... either in the 720GB-1TB range. 1TB drives have gotten MUCH cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010150014+103530090&Configurator=&Subcategory=14&description=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Media Drive: Since this is going to be a HTPC, I would suggest Blu-Ray capabilities here. You don't really need the burner... so here are some standard blu-ray players:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010100598+1700343372+1700143373&Configurator=&Subcategory=598&description=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

itschris

itschris

That's not a bad case. A couple of things you need to make sure... 1) If you decide on a higher end graphics card, make sure you have the room for it. The newer cards tend to be huge full width variety and some cases don't accomdate them well. 2) If this case is not in a cabinet, you may have some fan noise issues being that the power supply is in the front of the case.

Just some things to consider. Have you looked at the Antech Fusion? Here's a thorough review:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/antec-fusion-430-htpc-case,1760.html

I've seen them for about $150-$160. I didn't catch what your budget is, but this is a pretty solid case that's got tons of info out there on it. You can spend a ton of money on a case, but depending on how and where it'll be used will largely guide what you need.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Video Card: Overview the ones that we were looking at from NewEgg... since you aren't looking for a machine that has gaming capabilities... go for something on the cheaper side, that has HDMI outputs. A PCI video card would be preferable, either that or a PCI Express x1 style card.
There is a difference between PCI and PCI-Express. They are two different, and incompatible, bus topologies.

You will want to get a PCI-Express X 16 card for video. There are no PCI video cards with a current GPU chipset.

You can get the Radeon 4350 passively cooled for as little at $21 dollars (after rebate).

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
There is a difference between PCI and PCI-Express. They are two different, and incompatible, bus topologies.

You will want to get a PCI-Express X 16 card for video. There are no PCI video cards with a current GPU chipset.

You can get the Radeon 4350 passively cooled for as little at $21 dollars (after rebate).
I remember when PCI was first coming out. It was the video card slot back then.:) Whatever happened to AGP. I've been out of the game for a long time.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
That's not a bad case. A couple of things you need to make sure... 1) If you decide on a higher end graphics card, make sure you have the room for it. The newer cards tend to be huge full width variety and some cases don't accomdate them well. 2) If this case is not in a cabinet, you may have some fan noise issues being that the power supply is in the front of the case.

Just some things to consider. Have you looked at the Antech Fusion? Here's a thorough review:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/antec-fusion-430-htpc-case,1760.html

I've seen them for about $150-$160. I didn't catch what your budget is, but this is a pretty solid case that's got tons of info out there on it. You can spend a ton of money on a case, but depending on how and where it'll be used will largely guide what you need.
Antec Cases are the best I've ever used. Thumb screws for everything. :)

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai

I remember when PCI was first coming out. It was the video card slot back then.:) Whatever happened to AGP. I've been out of the game for a long time.
Oh yeah well feast your eyes on this bad boy (J/K OP please disregard as this will only confuse you :))

Ok in all seriousness.....here is my HTPC Silent Case Project that I posted on another forum. Let me know if you have any questions but that should give you a rough idea of what you want. There is not much detail as far as a step by step process, as thats a PC hardware forum and everyone there is already extremely knowledgeable, for the most part anyway.

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
Hey... sorry I haven't been around for a couple days... tons of work that needed to get done :D . Hows the HTPC coming? :p

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
Hey... sorry I haven't been around for a couple days... tons of work that needed to get done :D . Hows the HTPC coming? :p
it's going good, still piecing things together and trying to figure out if it's the best thing to meet my needs (read: things I want but don't need:p)

Kind of debating between this whole HTPC idea, airport express, squeezebox, popcorn hour, roku soundbridge, and a few other random devices. HTPC is clearly the most useful option, but also the most costly.

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
it's going good, still piecing things together and trying to figure out if it's the best thing to meet my needs (read: things I want but don't need:p)

Kind of debating between this whole HTPC idea, airport express, squeezebox, popcorn hour, roku soundbridge, and a few other random devices. HTPC is clearly the most useful option, but also the most costly.
Well at least it is stimulating some new ideas in your head --- rather than just jumping for something right away. It's always important that you choose what you may need wisely, because most of us just can't afford to upgrade for some time :p

If that's not the case, remember that if you do go for one of the other devices... you can always return it within the alloted time, and apply that toward something else to try out.

If there are pieces of hardware that are a bit costly, shop around elsewhere. http://www.froogle.com is a good place to start... eBay another (from reputable sellers)... Sometimes people sell hardware extremely cheap through refurbishment or warrantly claims.

And have fun! The process of deciding what you want can be a great learning experience (it's what I tell anybody when dealing with computers)...
:D

S

samhfoley

Audioholic
also looking into a HTPC

I love the look of your system krzywica, but it is a bit beyond my budget. That system would rival my desktop's performance. For me to simply play my Blu-Ray rips (MKVs) and VOB files would suffice. I just want a HTPC that will be able to handle all of the various Dolby TruHD/PLIIz, DTS and other sound settings. I am hoping to come in under 500 bucks for the whole set-up. I have 5 1/2 inches of clearance on my ent. center shelf so it has to be somewhat small. Suggestions?

jinjuku

jinjuku

S

samhfoley

Audioholic
I already have Vista so that won't be a necessary expense. I would love to be able to get Dolby TrueHD from my HTPC to my Onkyo TX-SA607 via HDMI, although I think those video cards alone are close to 200 bucks right? Would I even be getting Dolby TrueHD if I am primarily viewing MKV's and not the original BR discs themselves? Thanks as always for your help!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis