HTPC Audio, no idea what going on

C

craigt

Audiophyte
Hey all, first post, so take it easy please :) I also have so say I know almost nothing about setting this stuff up, or how it works, thats probably why I cant figure this out.

At the moment, I'm outputting my audio to a receiver via spdif. I get the correct content detected and it all plays fine (DD, pro logic, whatever). When connected like this though, I cant set my receiver to any other 'modes'. for example, when listening to music, I would like to enable the 6 channel stereo mode, or one of the 'fake' surround modes when watching stereo movies, but nothing is available. My receiver just says 'straight' on the display.

I have set about every possible combination of settings in ac3filter and ffdshow (cccp config tool), with no joy.

My receiver is a Yamaha 559DAB ( I think ), if that helps at all.

Anyhows, please give any advice you might have, I would really like to get this resolved, but I just dont know what to try next.

Thanks
Craig

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
On that model, are you using your original factory remote? It should have a number pad, and the number pad has listening modes above each number.

Try pressing a number on there to see if you can switch from Straight to whatever mode. Pressing 4 multiple times for example cycles a bunce of emulated surround modes, I think. Also, try pressing the Straight button on the remote if that doesn't work at first. I believe Straight overrides listening modes on the Yamahas.

Let me know how that turns out.

C

craigt

Audiophyte
Hey Nemo

I have tried changing the settings, but no luck. The only buttons that change any kind of mode is the 'night' button. But none of the other buttons change modes.

Any other suggestions?

Just on a side note, is the only way to get 5.1 to the receiver, so the receiver can decode it, through spdif? I have tried it with a normal rca and then all the modes are available, but it doesn't detect and multichannel sources.

Craig

Nemo128

Nemo128

That model has multichannel input. Your sound card most likely has multichannel output, since I'm guessing you're using the motherboard's integrated audio chipset and it has an optical connection. They would be the green/black/orange jacks. You won't get any surround formats if you only use the green jack, since that's just front stereo channels.

Get some minijack-stereoRCA cables and hooked the minijacks up to the green/black/orange holes on your motherboard and the RCA ends to the receiver. The multichannel ins should be the 3rd block of connectors from the top left corner of the back of the receiver.

The multichannel inputs on that receiver can't be used with the emulated surround modes. It's forced straight and will not perform any processing on the input signal. Stick to the optical if you want to process the stereo audio into multiple channels.

Also, that method I described has to work for that receiver. If it doesn't, something else is up. Did you try to press the Straight button to turn off Straight mode? Straight mode disables all surround effects capabilities, so it has to be turned off before you can use the 4 and 5 key to cycle through surround modes.

Last edited:
C

cicatriz63

Audioholic Intern
What sampling rate are you outputting at? I recall having a similar problem when I first set mine up to my onkyo receiver, it would only play 96KHz PCM signals as stereo only. I had to switch it to 48KHz to get any kind of multi channel or DSP.

And yes, the only way to get DD or DTS surround decoded by the receiver is by either a optical or coax connection (spdif).

Also, what sound card are you using?

C

craigt

Audiophyte
That model has multichannel input. Your sound card most likely has multichannel output, since I'm guessing you're using the motherboard's integrated audio chipset and it has an optical connection. They would be the green/black/orange jacks. You won't get any surround formats if you only use the green jack, since that's just front stereo channels.

Get some minijack-stereoRCA cables and hooked the minijacks up to the green/black/orange holes on your motherboard and the RCA ends to the receiver. The multichannel ins should be the 3rd block of connectors from the top left corner of the back of the receiver.

The multichannel inputs on that receiver can't be used with the emulated surround modes. It's forced straight and will not perform any processing on the input signal. Stick to the optical if you want to process the stereo audio into multiple channels.

Also, that method I described has to work for that receiver. If it doesn't, something else is up. Did you try to press the Straight button to turn off Straight mode? Straight mode disables all surround effects capabilities, so it has to be turned off before you can use the 4 and 5 key to cycle through surround modes.
Ok, so if I understand corretly, if I hook the receiver up using multichannel inputs(the three rca cables you mention) my receiver will lock into 'straight' mode, but its shouldn't lock into straight mode using the optical? I have tried pushing every button my my remote to get it off of straight mode, it wont budge :( So, as far as you are concerned I should be able to turn off the straight mode when using an optical cable? Arrgh, why cant this just work, anyways, thanks for your help. Please give me a shout if anything else jumps to mind.

Thanks
Craig

C

craigt

Audiophyte
What sampling rate are you outputting at? I recall having a similar problem when I first set mine up to my onkyo receiver, it would only play 96KHz PCM signals as stereo only. I had to switch it to 48KHz to get any kind of multi channel or DSP.

And yes, the only way to get DD or DTS surround decoded by the receiver is by either a optical or coax connection (spdif).

Also, what sound card are you using?
Sorry, I missed this post.

I have no idea how to see what sampling rate I'm using, is that in the ffdshow or ac3 settings somewhere? I'm using the onboard sound card, if I remember correctly its a abit fatal1ty mobo. I specifically picked it because it has hdmi and optical audio. Could it just be a problem with my sound card?

Nemo128

Nemo128

Ok, so if I understand corretly, 1. if I hook the receiver up using multichannel inputs(the three rca cables you mention) my receiver will lock into 'straight' mode, but 2. its shouldn't lock into straight mode using the optical? I have tried pushing every button my my remote to get it off of straight mode, it wont budge :( So, as far as you are concerned 3. I should be able to turn off the straight mode when using an optical cable? Arrgh, why cant this just work, anyways, thanks for your help. Please give me a shout if anything else jumps to mind.

Thanks
Craig
1. Yep.

2. Yessir.

3. Correctamundo.

Try using the receiver's dial to mess around with it first. I checked your manual to be sure, if the RX-V559DAB is your model, that's the procedure.

Keep in mind, if you do use the multichannel output on your computer, your computer has to do the decoding of the audio from all sources. You might not want to put the computing power into it, especially if you don't have one of the better audio chipsets due to sound quality.

I'd use the optical and keep trying to get the emulated surround working. Here's the manual in case you don't have it:

http://www.yamaha-uk.com/pdf/owner_manuals/RX-V559DAB.pdf

Sorry, I missed this post.

I have no idea how to see what sampling rate I'm using, is that in the ffdshow or ac3 settings somewhere? I'm using the onboard sound card, if I remember correctly its a abit fatal1ty mobo. I specifically picked it because it has hdmi and optical audio. Could it just be a problem with my sound card?
It's in the Sound properties through Control Panel. That shouldn't be a problem if you use the optical output. It's only if you use the multichannel output, meaning your PC is doing the decoding.

C

craigt

Audiophyte
Thank you very much guys. When I got home last night I set every possible option I had to 48 khz (or whatever the unit), and now its works. It detects my multichannel audio and allows me to change to the various modes.

Thanks once again, your help is really appreciated :)

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
Hey all, first post, so take it easy please :) I also have so say I know almost nothing about setting this stuff up, or how it works, thats probably why I cant figure this out.

At the moment, I'm outputting my audio to a receiver via spdif. I get the correct content detected and it all plays fine (DD, pro logic, whatever). When connected like this though, I cant set my receiver to any other 'modes'. for example, when listening to music, I would like to enable the 6 channel stereo mode, or one of the 'fake' surround modes when watching stereo movies, but nothing is available. My receiver just says 'straight' on the display.

I have set about every possible combination of settings in ac3filter and ffdshow (cccp config tool), with no joy.

My receiver is a Yamaha 559DAB ( I think ), if that helps at all.

Anyhows, please give any advice you might have, I would really like to get this resolved, but I just dont know what to try next.

Thanks
Craig
That is happening because the HTPC is sending the receiver PCM.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis