HTPC and Harmony remotes plus some other suggestions

C

chronos56

Audioholic Intern
I have seen this question come up multiple times and I believe I have a simple solution.

I have found a way to maximize your results with a MCE remote receiver.

You need to program 2 devices into the Harmony, one is the Windows Media Center SE, the second is Microsoft MCE Keyboard.

When programming the HTPC activity be sure that both devices are included.

When you have both devices installed you get a lot more flexibility when controlling XBMC, Plex and your PC in general.

For Plex and XBMC the back key is "ESC". I programmed my remote's exit button to this, you will find that in the keyboard list. You can launch programs from the task bar with the keystroke combination of "Win+1" for the first item sitting on the task bar "WIN+2" for the second, etc...

I use Win 8 for my HTPC, the START key programmed to the Menu button on my remote jumps me to the Metro menu and the remote lets me select what ever program or app I want to run. I use the WIN+1 key to hot start XBMC from a button. I have come to the conclusion that Win 8 is the best choice for this type of application. The large metro menu screen works will on a TV screen.

Program the Up, Down Left and Right buttons to DirectionUp, DirectionDown etc.. The OK button is programmed as Enter.

The Netflix app plays better then the browser version, its mostly controllable by the remote but there are a couple of places that you HAVE to have a mouse :(, as a plus the App plays 5.1 audio. I have tried the Plex app, but 5.1 audio is problematic, XBMC has won the battle at my place. I use Plex on my Roku.

You should not need to learn anything from a remote and you should find that you have a much more versatile system.

When playing video from an App:

Video adjustments can be set for Apps with an ATI video card, use catalyst to override the video settings when playing video, this also affects video playing from an App. I calibrated this by playing a test pattern DVD with VLC.

Hope that all of this helps.

Jim

itschris

itschris

Now you've done it.

I'm going to give this a shot. Right now I have my HTPC setup in my system by adding the HP USB IR adapter thing. I think it's sort of working but not 100% sure. I've been having some issues lately with things that just stop working... like suddenly my TV won't turn off anymore or it won't switch inputs.

Once I get these other little things figured out, I'd like to dive deeper into the capabilities. This seems like a really good start.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
chronos56 said:
I wanted to add an update to this thread. If you have a need for IR control of our HTPC check our this IR receiver: http://www.amazon.com/FLIRC-Dongle-Media-Centre-Raspberry/dp/B00BB0ETW8/

I looks like it will be a true lifesaver when trying to program a Harmony Remote to your PC.

Chronos56
One only needs any compatible mce compatible ir receiver. I think mine was like $6 from eBay.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

C

chronos56

Audioholic Intern
Agreed, the reason I even mentioned this one is that it appears to add a lot of flexibility to the programming.

Chronos56

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
What can be more flexible than the already inherent ability to program any keyboard key or key + modifier into the remote? What does that receiver do that a typical mce receiver doesn't, other than require you to supply your own usb extension cable?

Ah, I read the description and I think I see. With a traditional ir receiver, the user must add the receiver from the harmony database as two device instances (one for mce remote, another for keyboard), and make sure the htpc activity uses both devices. With the gadget you linked, the harmony activity only needs one unified device handling the functionality of both mce remote and keyboard. I can see the benefit, but I don't think I'm missing any functionality by using a cheap-o receiver.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis