R

RotelDBA

Audioholic Intern
Hi,
I know this has been discussed in the past, but now that both of these units have been out longer, I would like to get input on which one people would recommend going with versus the other.

I am long overdue with replacing my Anthem D2V processor (want height speakers, newer formats, etc.) and have narrowed my replacement selection down to these two processors.

Watching movies and TV's will be the primary use with perhaps 10-15% gaming, and perhaps 5% listening to music. Number of channels does not matter as both have more than I need. The processor will be connected to an OLED 4K TV, McIntosh MC207 amp, Apple TV 4K, 4K Blu-ray player, HDDVD player (I know, just don't want to get rid of it or the movies), XBox, Wii (currently using with HDMI converter), VCR (again, just don't want to get rid of it and it's currently working through an HDMI converter), and CD player.

From what I have read it sounds like from a pure audio perspective the HTP-1 would be hard to beat for the price. My main concerns are not having OSD for volume (I know sounds silly, but...), long-term support and upgradability, and not being able to audition in person.

On the Anthem side, I have had my D2V for around 13 years now, it has been reliable and still works and sounds fantastic within it's given capabilities. I like their ARC room correction. All of this being said, I have concerns about bugginess with the AVM70 and perhaps with the sound quality not being up to the same level as the HTP-1.

Thoughts, recommendation? And, thank you ahead of time for your feedback!

R

RotelDBA

Audioholic Intern
Thank you Shady for the input! I don't have much experience with Dirac. I have only worked with ARC and Audyssey and thought ARC was substantially better than Audyssey. Do you find Dirac to be that much better than ARC? Or even the new one that I think may be called ARC Genesis or something like that?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thank you Shady for the input! I don't have much experience with Dirac. I have only worked with ARC and Audyssey and thought ARC was substantially better than Audyssey. Do you find Dirac to be that much better than ARC? Or even the new one that I think may be called ARC Genesis or something like that?
Dirac is the only auto-EQ system that has made a serious improvement in sound for myself. I have tried ARC, Audyssey, and MCACC. The best that any of them could do is make mild improvements in bass frequencies.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Pretty much every owner in the HTP-1 Owners thread on that other site is super happy. Sadly there are still some bugs, but compared to most everything else, they are super minor.
Many report no problems and enjoy the benefits of Dirac and the Bass Control module.

The HTP-1 is on my shortlist once an HDMI 2.1 solution is hammered out.

On the flipside, I've heard discussions that Anthem seems to have resolved most of the release bugs on the AVM70. I have not followed that as closely, though I am interested in what comes from the AVM90 when it is released. (Also the SDP-58 from JBL Synthesis.)

A couple years ago, Anthem Room Correction was considered a step above Audyssey. Yet my experience with Audyssey XT32 is pretty solid. I don't hear the raves about ARC any longer the way I did back in 2018 and 2019. Dirac, on the other hand continues to be a desirable upgrade, by all accounts.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I hated Arc when I owned my Anthem AVM 60. To be fair I've never enjoyed any room correction software yet and leave them off. The only one I have not tried is Dirac. The Anthem was an excellent pre pro tho I loved it. The HTP-1 would be the one I go with it just offers more to me even if I don't use room eq then the Anthem does.

R

RotelDBA

Audioholic Intern
Thank you everyone for your input! I was already leaning towards the HTP-1 one and I think this discussion has sealed the deal. Thank you, again!!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I hated Arc when I owned my Anthem AVM 60. To be fair I've never enjoyed any room correction software yet and leave them off. The only one I have not tried is Dirac. The Anthem was an excellent pre pro tho I loved it. The HTP-1 would be the one I go with it just offers more to me even if I don't use room eq then the Anthem does.
I don't remember if you mentioned trying Audyssey with the MultEQ Editor App. If not and if you somehow have a chance to do it, try using it for the range 10 - 2,000 Hz, then 10 - 1,000 Hz, then 10 - 600 Hz (like AARC in the old days), pick disable MRC, tilt the bass slope up gradually from 250 Hz towards 20 Hz and you may enjoy the results. Yes you would have to invest a few hours on it, but I think with Dirac you may have to do that too to get it to your liking.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
^^ My understanding is that Dirac makes it very easy to load in and try different target curves. Some of the HTP-1 owners have discussed this on that other thread. Seems that perhaps Dirac has a library of target curves available, if I follow correctly.

M

Muad'dib

Enthusiast
I don't have the HTP-1, but do have the anthem avm70 (had/have also, avm60, d2v, marantz 7704 pre and rotel rsp-1576 mkii)

My 2 top were the rotel and anthem..

The room corrections are also awesome in both..
Anthem with ARC and rotel with full Dirac.

Comparing the room correction, they are closer than you think...

My basment is the worse room I could test in.. Unfinished wall, ceiling, etc.. RAW.. Just wood joists and furnace.. and concrete floors .

Going from ARC with avm60 to new 70 is totally different animal... No comparison..
The 70 ARC sounds crisper, detailed, more open.

With same settings on avm60, it sounded like a cloth was in front of speakers

This being said, Dirac vs ARC both sound amazing..

So I'm sure HTP-1 vs avm70, they both woukd sound awesome.

Just comes down to features and $$ you want to spend..

The anthem /rotel were much better than audyssey and marantz... no comparison..

R

RotelDBA

Audioholic Intern
I don't have the HTP-1, but do have the anthem avm70 (had/have also, avm60, d2v, marantz 7704 pre and rotel rsp-1576 mkii)

My 2 top were the rotel and anthem..

The room corrections are also awesome in both..
Anthem with ARC and rotel with full Dirac.

Comparing the room correction, they are closer than you think...

My basment is the worse room I could test in.. Unfinished wall, ceiling, etc.. RAW.. Just wood joists and furnace.. and concrete floors .

Going from ARC with avm60 to new 70 is totally different animal... No comparison..
The 70 ARC sounds crisper, detailed, more open.

With same settings on avm60, it sounded like a cloth was in front of speakers

This being said, Dirac vs ARC both sound amazing..

So I'm sure HTP-1 vs avm70, they both woukd sound awesome.

Just comes down to features and $$ you want to spend..

The anthem /rotel were much better than audyssey and marantz... no comparison..
@Muad'dib, thank you for the input. How has the AVM70 been from a stability and usability perspective? I read a lot of early reviews that the unit was ridden with bugs and the new ARC room correction was almost unusable.

Also, since you have owned the D2V how would you compare the AVM70 to the D2V? I have a D2V using ARC, and even now I still think it still sounds fantastic. It just does not have the latest formats, hardware, and features that I am looking for.

From a $$ perspective the HTP-1 and the AVM70 are close enough in price that I consider it a wash.

Thank you again!

M

Muad'dib

Enthusiast
@Muad'dib, thank you for the input. How has the AVM70 been from a stability and usability perspective? I read a lot of early reviews that the unit was ridden with bugs and the new ARC room correction was almost unusable.

Also, since you have owned the D2V how would you compare the AVM70 to the D2V? I have a D2V using ARC, and even now I still think it still sounds fantastic. It just does not have the latest formats, hardware, and features that I am looking for.

From a $$ perspective the HTP-1 and the AVM70 are close enough in price that I consider it a wash.

Thank you again!
I have yet to have an issue with the anthem..
Seems rock solid..

Getting better with every firmware .

ARC has few bugs, but works amazing.. awesome sound..

I think the avm70 sounds actually better than the d2v..

Seems more dynamic and open...

Both btw are great units..

Just avm70 has newer electronics which help..

R

RotelDBA

Audioholic Intern
@Muad'dib, thank you! Good to hear that that it sounds like Anthem is not only working out the initial bugs, but are actively working to make it better. I did wonder and was hoping that the newer AVM70 would sound better than the at this point very old D2V.

T

tparm

Audioholic
Catching up this morning, I completely disagree with the Dirac or nothing notion. I’ll post my journey later but I’ve owned four products that use Dirac and the Anthem AVM 70 is not only great to use but the new gen of ARC is excellent and super flexible, I find it superior to Emotiva and Arcam’s Dirac integration.
The AVM sounds lovely and is the first AVR/Processor where I’ve used it digitized and with room correction versus analog with an external DAC and no room correction for 2CH playback. My unit is bug free and lack of auto phase and polarity for subs (and 2.1, Roon) are not important to me as I used REW and the built in PEQ, phase and polarity controls on my subs app to set up prior to running ARC (because of the inferior LFE integration in the Emotiva).
I would have no reservations recommending the Anthem.

Last edited:
R

RotelDBA

Audioholic Intern
@tparm Thank you for the input!! I like hearing this trend of bug free AVM's and it's also good to hear about another no regrets purchase of the AVM70.

Based on the replies, it sounds like I cannot go wrong with either unit. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis