HTiB Questions, please advise...

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
Hello again... My mom has had her house pre-wired for fronts, cneter and rears. She really like the Bose Lifestyle series which would be a good choice for her but not at $2k +.
I need to figure out something for her at a $1k or less. I need an ALL IN ONE system. While I dearly love me mom, she is NOT a mutilple device gal.. That's why the Bose system would have been nice. Again, I undertand seperates would be better, but not for this instance.
Thanks!!!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Well, without a budget there is something of an issue.

More important: Why not get her a good remote control that actually works and then get the best system that fits the budget no matter what the style is? She won't have to play with any boxes at all then - just point the remote and press 'DVD' or 'TV' and be done with it.

This is especially important as many HTIB setups use proprietary wiring and do not allow for traditional wiring to be used. I doubt the builder went ahead and wired Bose proprietary or Sony proprietary wiring into the setup. So, you really MUST use a traditional A/V receiver.

The only real option though is to have a DVD player inside the main unit, which still doesn't alleviate the need to switch the main unit to the DVD player before being able to watch a DVD.

Like I said - I would concentrate on a decent remote and then get a receiver and DVD player that works well with that remote. Thinking that a all-in-one box makes things simpler is a very poor assumption on your part.

Bose does not make things easier as well. They just pack everything into one box, then you still have to do ALL the things you had to do before. Plus, you can't upgrade it! Isn't that nice of them?

edwelly

edwelly

Full Audioholic
BMXTRX - thanks for always responding to my questions... I enjoy nreading what you write...
Well, without a budget there is something of an issue.
How about up to $1k
Why not get her a good remote control that actually works and then get the best system that fits the budget no matter what the style is?
My mom has trouble using her cell phone. Wonderful, wonderful woman, just not very tech smart.
as many HTIB setups use proprietary wiring and do not allow for traditional wiring to be used
You mean regular speaker can't be used assuming you swap the plugs???

given the budget, your thoughts? Speakers need to be small and wall mountable.
thanks!

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
edwelly said:
Hello again... My mom has had her house pre-wired for fronts, cneter and rears. She really like the Bose Lifestyle series which would be a good choice for her but not at $2k +.
I need to figure out something for her at a $1k or less. I need an ALL IN ONE system. While I dearly love me mom, she is NOT a mutilple device gal.. That's why the Bose system would have been nice. Again, I undertand seperates would be better, but not for this instance.
Thanks!!!
FWIW......

Get one of these ---> http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-DPR-1001-7-1-Receiver-DTS-Dolby-Digital_W0QQitemZ5823257649QQcategoryZ39794QQcmdZViewItem

One of these ---> http://cgi.ebay.com/Harman-Kardon-Progressive-Scan-DVD-DVD-RW-MP3-Player_W0QQitemZ5823965110QQcategoryZ50600QQcmdZViewItem

And one of these ---> http://www.hsustore.com/vt-12-stf-2.html

These will make for an astounding setup for the gal...easy to operate, and wonderful to listen to. Great sub/sat setup from Hsu can't be beaten, especially at the price (with free delivery and sub cable).

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Denon

For simplicity, Denon has some new all in one systems with two main speakers, receiver/dvd, and subwoofer. They are a similar setup to the Bose systems, except they actually sound good.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
rjbudz said:
.....strong agreement on this one, RJBudz, Jaxvon thinks a lot of it, too....add a quality mid-receiver and a 200 buck DVD player, and teach her the remotes, Edwelly....another bad point to Bose systems....if the internal DVD player shoots craps, it's off to the shop...you can always get another $200 deck and here we go again with a receiver, and the 200 buck seperate DVD player will probably last twice what the internal DVD player in the Bose system will....

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
As for the remote thing, I think you could get away with a Logitech Harmony. They can be programmed with macros, which means that you can literally with the push of one button, make everything "work". You can do the setup of the electronics, program the remote, and then your'e off!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would have to agree that there are some very tech people that understand how to use components so they are pushing speaker packages etc. on you without talking remotes.

As a Crestron programmer, I see daily the effects a quality remote has on the usability of a system. A well programmed remote will allow you to leave it, without instructions, in the hands of the homeowner and they will be able to watch a DVD, TV, VCR, etc. without any issues or additional explanations.

Bose does not make it so that you avoid the issue of switching inputs between sources, or that by pressing 'VCR' on their remote, that it will handle TV switching, powering on the VCR, or properly controlling the VCR. It just switches the Bose from whatever input it was on, to the VCR input. Just like any other receiver.

This really means you need to focus less on the A/V gear, and much more on the remote. If it is a $1K budget, while the speakers above may be excellent, you may just need to get something less money so you can get a better remote.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis