HT Media Center Recommendations

F

FSUguy

Junior Audioholic
I recently had someone break into my house and steal my macbook pro along with some other things. Before the robbery, I had my my macbook pro networked with Connect360 through my old Linksys router to my Xbox360, which was connected to my 720p RPTV. All my media was stored on external HDs connected to the Macbook Pro. Insurance is covering the price of replacement, so here's my question....

I am definitely getting another MBP, but was thinking about also getting a Mac Mini to keep in my HT room connected to my display to stream media, instead of the Xbox 360. I also am considering changing the old linksys router out for an apple airport extreme base station. I want to be able to change the external drives with media connected to the MBP upstairs to the router so I can wireless back up to them and stream from them. I looked at time capsule, but seems pretty expensive and proprietary (my understanding is your can't hook up extra storage to it). I also thought about apple TV, but still unsure of the best solution. Any suggestions?

Maybe just adding a Mac Mini to the HT room and getting an airport extreme base station that I can plug external HDs into for streaming and backing up?

Any help would be much appreciated....

Thanks

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Apple TV

Since you are a mac person, get the Apple TV. It has its own hard drive, so you can sync it to the laptop and have all your music, movies, and photos available locally. It has a great GUI interface and is easy to control with a remote as opposed to a computer w/ keyboard etc.

You can also steam movies and pictures and rent movies and it is less expensive than a mac mini and airport.

F

FSUguy

Junior Audioholic
Since you are a mac person, get the Apple TV. It has its own hard drive, so you can sync it to the laptop and have all your music, movies, and photos available locally. It has a great GUI interface and is easy to control with a remote as opposed to a computer w/ keyboard etc.

You can also steam movies and pictures and rent movies and it is less expensive than a mac mini and airport.
True, I have thought about that, but I was wondering about other options and advantages/disadvantages to each.....

thanks

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis