HT Calibration with Power Amp

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
Dear Team

I am planning to calibrate my HT tomorrow with the following in place
Yamaha A 870 connected as below
B&W 603s - Left & Right Connected thru the Crown XLS 1502 Power amp - Crown connected to Yamaha thru pre-outs
HTM 6 - Connected to the Yamaha A 870
Polk OWM3s - FH connected to Yamaha
Bose 301 - Surrounds connected to Yamaha
No Sub

I have bought a SPL and had used it a couple of times when ALL the speakers were connected to the Yamaha.

Since i have added the Power Amp, can u ls advise the process for calibrating as I dont want to blow the speakers

Currently when i am using the Yamaha and Crown Amp , the Crown Volume is turned all the way to the Right .

Thank you.

Rajesh

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
Also I am hearing a Hum in the front speakers connected to the Crown Amp. Pls help. Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just rerun YPAO would be one way to go, or you can do it manually. What sensitivity setting are you using in the amp? Is the sound from the speaker a hiss or hum? If the latter you could have a ground loop hum, you can try lifting the ground with a cheater plug on the amp to see if that's the case. You may have some amp hiss audible in the tweets at a close distance, but if its not audible from your seat or during quiet passages I wouldn't worry particularly about it but varying the gain/attenuator setting on the amp could resolve that somewhat. Do you really need the gain/attenuators at highest setting on the amp?

R

rgbbhat72

Junior Audioholic
Just rerun YPAO would be one way to go, or you can do it manually. What sensitivity setting are you using in the amp? Is the sound from the speaker a hiss or hum? If the latter you could have a ground loop hum, you can try lifting the ground with a cheater plug on the amp to see if that's the case. You may have some amp hiss audible in the tweets at a close distance, but if its not audible from your seat or during quiet passages I wouldn't worry particularly about it but varying the gain/attenuator setting on the amp could resolve that somewhat. Do you really need the gain/attenuators at highest setting on the amp?
Thank you for ur advise.
Cross Over - No Crossover
Input Sensitivity - 1.4 Normal - Other option is .775 V High
I checked it is a Hum from the speakers and not too audible for me as I have Tinnitus an ear condition But my son could hear it from 6 feet across :) and he just said he can hear it with the music :(
On the Gain - when i connected the speakers and used them , the volume was not loud enough for the fronts and hence turned up the crown to the maximum to sync with the other speakers.
I think i should do a calibration today with the gain at Minimum and then turn it up.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If it is ground loop hum I'd try the cheater plug to see if that's it.

Did you rerun setup first before determining the volume wasn't loud enough, so as to accommodate the external amp? Do calibration after you set an appropriate gain level on the amp....maybe a few clicks less from where you have it now to see if that's sufficient.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis