W

waynerm002

Audioholic Intern
I am interested in doing an upgrade of my HT system and was wondering if anyone had any info on the ADCOM
GTP-860 and GFA-7605 Amplifier. I saw one at an audio shop and liked the look, have not heard it but plan to do so soon. I recently saw on Audio Advisor's website an offer that seems pretty good (still have to look around) for both and just need some info on them. I currently have an HK 330 with Athena .5 surrounds. They are ok but not impressive, the sub sounds a little overworked at high volume. Maybe the receiver was out of steam as it was almost at max volume and I believe the speakers can handle more. Let me know what you think, thanks.

W

waynerm002

Audioholic Intern
No one has any info to share? Experiences with any of the equipment mentioned? Ayything?

How about going with a Rotel 5 channel amp, the 1075 to power the speakers and just use the Harman unit as a preamp?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
waynerm002 said:
I am interested in doing an upgrade of my HT system and was wondering if anyone had any info on the ADCOM
GTP-860 and GFA-7605 Amplifier. I saw one at an audio shop and liked the look, have not heard it but plan to do so soon. I recently saw on Audio Advisor's website an offer that seems pretty good (still have to look around) for both and just need some info on them. I currently have an HK 330 with Athena .5 surrounds. They are ok but not impressive, the sub sounds a little overworked at high volume. Maybe the receiver was out of steam as it was almost at max volume and I believe the speakers can handle more. Let me know what you think, thanks.

Is that Athena .5 your sub? Powered? If so, that should not affect the H/K.
Speakers do have limits. They can compress, distort, and not go loud enough. One only has to read the sub review in the current Sound & Vision ;)

As for the ADCOm, it is a good amp. What are the specs?

U

Unregistered

The Amp is 125W x 5. I like the HK looks and ease of setup for a HT system. I am eyeing a Rotel receiver or pre and amp, love the looks but not sure of the quality. Research has given me mixed results but I want to audition the unit(s) first to see what they sound like. Been a while since I plunked down a lot of money for audio system. I still have my Carver equipment, Preamp/Tuner, Digital Processor and Amp.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Unregistered said:
The Amp is 125W x 5. I like the HK looks and ease of setup for a HT system. I am eyeing a Rotel receiver or pre and amp, love the looks but not sure of the quality. Research has given me mixed results but I want to audition the unit(s) first to see what they sound like. Been a while since I plunked down a lot of money for audio system. I still have my Carver equipment, Preamp/Tuner, Digital Processor and Amp.

Nothing wrong with auditioning. Just remember, modern, well designed components don't have their own sonic signatures. The ones you are looking at fits this category. Go for flexdibility, features you need, looks is important ;)
Also, remember that listening can be a mixed blessing as it can be unreliable and you may put too much weight on a perception that is not reality. Just be careful.

W

waynerm002

Audioholic Intern
Yep, looks is important. I do like the look of the Rotel and I have been seeing some decent reviews on it. Somewhat have my mind set on it but want to make sure it is a good deal and fits my needs.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

waynerm002 said:
Yep, looks is important. I do like the look of the Rotel and I have been seeing some decent reviews on it. Somewhat have my mind set on it but want to make sure it is a good deal and fits my needs.

You see, you like it :)
I am not sure what is a good deal for you or what will meet your needs. :rolleyes:
So, check it out, see if it will do what you expect and what you do normally, most of the time. Whisles you will never use is useless ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis