HSU's ULS-15 MK2 or VTF-2 MK5

M

mmamun

Audiophyte
I am considering in between HSU's VTF2- MK5 and ULS-15 MK2. Which one is better for movies? Need lower frequencies.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you have a space, probably less than 3000’3, and buy 3-4 of the uls 15s, you’d be ok. But in general, I’d agree, but the ported subs. :)

M

mmamun

Audiophyte
If you have a space, probably less than 3000’3, and buy 3-4 of the uls 15s, you’d be ok. But in general, I’d agree, but the ported subs. :)
Not very clear to me, 15 inch ULS-15 sealed or 12 inch VTF-2 MK5? Room Size, 17 X 13 X 8 (though one side is half wall, open to 1st floor).

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Vented subs have greater output down low. You have to look at the overall space the subwoofers are in... not just your “room” but the actual open volume of the space the subwoofer is exposed to. That is more important than distance-from, which is what you look at when considering, say, your mains.

Look at the specs Hsu gives for the CEA 2010 test. There is a good article here about understanding the data if you need help. https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/measurements-3
You should be able to compare Hsu’s tests side by side. I don’t recall what the difference is, but you have to make an adjustment to compare their results to most other CEA tests, though... distance perhaps.
Anyway, all of their subs are well regarded. I would consider stepping up to the vtf3 myself, and if possible, 2 of them. But friends with the vtf 2 all report being quite pleased with them.
End of the day, your system, your ducats... ;)

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Vented subs have greater output down low. You have to look at the overall space the subwoofers are in... not just your “room” but the actual open volume of the space the subwoofer is exposed to. That is more important than distance-from, which is what you look at when considering, say, your mains.

Look at the specs Hsu gives for the CEA 2010 test. There is a good article here about understanding the data if you need help. https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/measurements-3
You should be able to compare Hsu’s tests side by side. I don’t recall what the difference is, but you have to make an adjustment to compare their results to most other CEA tests, though... distance perhaps.
Anyway, all of their subs are well regarded. I would consider stepping up to the vtf3 myself, and if possible, 2 of them. But friends with the vtf 2 all report being quite pleased with them.
End of the day, your system, your ducats... ;)
Somewhat disagree with this part. True for ULF where the effect is more felt than heard but for the audible range >20hz near field placement is more important than room size.

That said the recommendation for the VTF3.5 is a good one. It's not much more than the ULS15.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The obvious answer is HSU also sells the VTF3 mk5 but I really do like my VTF2 mk5 pair of subs a lot. There are no bad choices if any of the 3 models are purchased in pairs. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Somewhat disagree with this part. True for ULF where the effect is more felt than heard but for the audible range >20hz near field placement is more important than room size.

That said the recommendation for the VTF3.5 is a good one. It's not much more than the ULS15.
My understanding of this (which is admittedly sketchy) is that you use room size to determine whether or not you can pressurize the room with a given sub. However if you have a very open room with a two story room it starts to become a difficult process to pressurize the room and a good strategy is to locate the subs near-field where they will pressurize (I am not sure I am using "pressurize" properly in this case, but you get the idea) the immediate area you are seated in so you can still get good HT depth without having to spend exhorbitant amounts for subwoofers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Why not the VFT-3 MK5? I have a pair of those and they more than do the job for movies.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Why not the VFT-3 MK5? I have a pair of those and they more than do the job for movies.
Not sure who you are directing this at, but I believe that is a very good option!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure who you are directing this at, but I believe that is a very good option!
The OP. I read it and typed exactly what went through my head, lol. The VTF-3s are right in the pocket for price and performance, imo. If considering a sealed 15" sub why not a 15" ported?
I am considering in between HSU's VTF2- MK5 and ULS-15 MK2. Which one is better for movies? Need lower frequencies.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
VTF3 mk 5 seems the best choice. What was the reasoning in comparing the VTF-2 to the ULS-15 in the first place?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis