bradymartin

Full Audioholic
for a square 11 x 11 room should i set the q control to 0.7 or 0.3
i have it at eq1 for movies

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You should set it to whatever sounds best to your ears. It's all a matter of preference. There is no right answer here.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
ive been experimenting a little and still not sure which q control setting i preffer.

i rented murder on the orient express to demo the avalanche scene. and wow, pretty awesome. wish that scene was longer than the 10 or so seconds.

i believe i have the sub set up correctly on the back and upped the levels 3db after audyssey.

so my question is

i want more. now wondering again if somehow i can get more bass out of it. one port open. or it could be i love bass too much and need to upgrade the sub. room is 11x11.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
ive been experimenting a little and still not sure which q control setting i preffer.

i rented murder on the orient express to demo the avalanche scene. and wow, pretty awesome. wish that scene was longer than the 10 or so seconds.

i believe i have the sub set up correctly on the back and upped the levels 3db after audyssey.

so my question is

i want more. now wondering again if somehow i can get more bass out of it. one port open. or it could be i love bass too much and need to upgrade the sub. room is 11x11.
There is an avalanche in War of the Apes too. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

so my question is

A Q setting of 0.7 will get you the most output. Sounds to me like you will be happiest with that setting. Also, using the sub with both ports open and the EQ switch set to 'EQ2' will get you the most headroom. If you are really pushing it hard, use it with both ports open and 'EQ2'. It should be hitting pretty hard in an 11'x11' room. Hell, you could always run it hotter than 3dB, if that is your tastes. I know that sometimes I will run the subs pretty hot.

You could always add another or upgrade to a more powerful sub as well, but the thing is, the VTF-2 mk5 should be able to keep up with the system gain level in a 11'x11' room pretty easily. You would have to be listening at very loud volumes in order to run up against the VTF-2 mk5's limits. I'm not saying its impossible though.

B

bradymartin

Full Audioholic
A Q setting of 0.7 will get you the most output. Sounds to me like you will be happiest with that setting. Also, using the sub with both ports open and the EQ switch set to 'EQ2' will get you the most headroom. If you are really pushing it hard, use it with both ports open and 'EQ2'. It should be hitting pretty hard in an 11'x11' room. Hell, you could always run it hotter than 3dB, if that is your tastes. I know that sometimes I will run the subs pretty hot.

You could always add another or upgrade to a more powerful sub as well, but the thing is, the VTF-2 mk5 should be able to keep up with the system gain level in a 11'x11' room pretty easily. You would have to be listening at very loud volumes in order to run up against the VTF-2 mk5's limits. I'm not saying its impossible though.
holy sh*t

2 ports open, eq2
upped volume to 85 instead of 80 like before. fyi using philharmonicaudio affordable accuracy monitors for front left right and center.

this is what i was looking for. room shakes more. i thought eq1 with one port was the best though according to my reading and vtf2 manual. deepest bass i thought. i feel more chest slam now but i dont want to miss out on 18hz or so that this sub is capable of, according to the manual it would be eq1 with one port open.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
holy sh*t

2 ports open, eq2
upped volume to 85 instead of 80 like before. fyi using philharmonicaudio affordable accuracy monitors for front left right and center.

this is what i was looking for. room shakes more. i thought eq1 with one port was the best though according to my reading and vtf2 manual. deepest bass i thought. i feel more chest slam now but i dont want to miss out on 18hz or so that this sub is capable of, according to the manual it would be eq1 with one port open.
Yeah, if you run it with two ports open and EQ2, it doesn't quite reach down below 20 Hz, but it will pack a punch above that point. Just remember to have the EQ switch correspond to the port openings, ie. 2 ports open for EQ2 and 1 port open for EQ1. It isn't good for the sub to be run with 2 ports open with EQ1, since the cone isn't sufficiently protected from deep frequencies in that configuration. You can run the sub with 1 port open and EQ switch set to EQ2, but there isn't much point in running it in that way, although it isn't a danger to the sub.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I get a lot of bass with my dual VTF2s. I haven’t cranked them beyond 40% gain yet. I tried sealed and currently have them in 1 port mode. I might try 2 ports open to see what that is like but I don’t want to give up the low end. I get good low end and mid bass currently.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis