Hsu VTF and other pluggable port options - who uses plugs?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have always wondered how often plugs are used for those subwoofers which offer plugs to help tune the subs. I know Hsu, SVS, and Outlaw provide plugs for at least some of their ported subwoofers.

It would be reasonable for a manufacturer (who did not really believe it is beneficial to use plugs) to simply provide customers with the added assurance of being able to tune the sub; the cost of a plug is usually very small compared to the total cost of a good subwoofer. I think the earlier ported SVS subs did not come with plugs while Hsu has had them maybe since their first sub(?)!

So, if you have a sub that offers port plugs, Please state:
1. Brand
2. Model
3. Number of ports on the sub.
4. Number of ports on the sub you plug.

Note some people may look at this as some type of evaluation of the different brands and models, but I think those who have been around for awhile understand that the decision of whether or not to plug (or partially plug) a sub is more likely determined by the room effects (determined by the placement in the room) than which model sub it is.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
1. SVS
2. PB-4000 (x2)
3. Three
4. One

The PB4000s have 3 DSP settings to go with each mode. All ports open is their Standard mode (20hz tune), all ports plugged is their Sealed mode, and one port plugged is their Extended mode (16hz tune). You lose a little bit of max SPL in Extended mode but the tradeoff is much deeper frequency extension.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
In the Movie Room/Den

1. Rythmik
2. LVX12 (x1)
3. Two
4. One

I use the “music mode” setting

———
In the living room

1. HSU
2. VTF2mk5 (x2)
3. Two
4. One

I set the “Q control” at 0.3 (minimum setting)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I’m still running my 2 X-13s ported for extension. :)
Outlaw Ultra X13
2 ports
1 plugged

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
1. SVS

2. PB13-Ultra

3. Three

4. None are plugged.

This sub is in a 5.1 system used almost exclusively for HT/gaming. It came with plugs and I experimented with them briefly when I first got the sub, but I decided to leave them out.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
HSU
2x VTF-3 MK5s
2 ports
0 plugged

I played around with plugging ports, thought I would prefer 1 port plugged for deeper extension, but found that I actually prefer more headroom in the audible range better.

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic
Hsu
2x VTF2-Mk5
0, I plug 1 when running Audyssey, then remove it for headroom.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
SVS
PC12+
Currently not using any port plugs. But I change that every so often.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have always wondered how often plugs are used for those subwoofers which offer plugs to help tune the subs. I know Hsu, SVS, and Outlaw provide plugs for at least some of their ported subwoofers.

It would be reasonable for a manufacturer (who did not really believe it is beneficial to use plugs) to simply provide customers with the added assurance of being able to tune the sub; the cost of a plug is usually very small compared to the total cost of a good subwoofer. I think the earlier ported SVS subs did not come with plugs while Hsu has had them maybe since their first sub(?)!

So, if you have a sub that offers port plugs, Please state:
1. Brand
2. Model
3. Number of ports on the sub.
4. Number of ports on the sub you plug.

Note some people may look at this as some type of evaluation of the different brands and models, but I think those who have been around for awhile understand that the decision of whether or not to plug (or partially plug) a sub is more likely determined by the room effects (determined by the placement in the room) than which model sub it is.
I always plug the ports on my subs KEW

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Ah, I neglected to mention that in my post. I do the same thing. Calibrate with one port plugged, then remove it for the extra headroom.
What kind of sorcery is this lol I just got the plugs for my 1000 pros in the mail the other day haven’t played around with them yet . Must play around now lol !!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What kind of sorcery is this lol I just got the plugs for my 1000 pros in the mail the other day haven’t played around with them yet . Must play around now lol !!
My subs are meant to be used with port plugs for either deeper extension or more energy in my mid bass. Hsu recommends calibrating with 1 port plugged and switched to eq 1 on the amp.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
My subs are meant to be used with port plugs for either deeper extension or more energy in my mid bass. Hsu recommends calibrating with 1 port plugged and switched to eq 1 on the amp.
I’ve been reading up on mine it seems you can get deeper extension with one plugged as well but with the loss of a db or two of output- Iam not real sure what that means but Iam not sure I’d notice either.

With all that being said I can feel vibration move threw the room and feel it in my bones that I can’t hear . My wife is like what was that lol - the answer is good subs lol !

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I’ve been reading up on mine it seems you can get deeper extension with one plugged as well but with the loss of a db or two of output- Iam not real sure what that means but Iam not sure I’d notice either.

With all that being said I can feel vibration move threw the room and feel it in my bones that I can’t hear . My wife is like what was that lol - the answer is good subs lol !
Kinda the same with my subs with the deeper extension. When I first got them I figured "of course I want deeper extension!", but after some experimenting I realized I like it better with a little more headroom in the audible range so I pop the plug after calibrating and run 'em that way. The Hsus also have 2 different eq settings, 1 & 2. If I use eq 1 and don't plug any ports I run risk of damaging the driver and voiding my warranty so I'm always careful to double check I have the right setting when I'm playing around.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Kinda the same with my subs with the deeper extension. When I first got them I figured "of course I want deeper extension!", but after some experimenting I realized I like it better with a little more headroom in the audible range so I pop the plug after calibrating and run 'em that way. The Hsus also have 2 different eq settings, 1 & 2. If I use eq 1 and don't plug any ports I run risk of damaging the driver and voiding my warranty so I'm always careful to double check I have the right setting when I'm playing around.
These SVS got similar eq settings for ported , one plugged and both plugged, dsp settings for music, for movies and custom setup in the app control I’ve not tried plugging any yet as so far I’ve not found the need to try to improve them yet . I really got to say out of the box these sound impressive with music and I was surprised at that .

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
These SVS got similar eq settings for ported , one plugged and both plugged, dsp settings for music, for movies and custom setup in the app control I’ve not tried plugging any yet as so far I’ve not found the need to try to improve them yet . I really got to say out of the box these sound impressive with music and I was surprised at that .
Yeah, you were due for an upgrade! If you get a wild hair and want to experiment a little you could try calibrating in deepest extension mode then pull the plug after and see how you like it.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Yeah, you were due for an upgrade! If you get a wild hair and want to experiment a little you could try calibrating in deepest extension mode then pull the plug after and see how you like it.
Iam putting in a new center channel this week I’ll have to recalibrate heck yea I’ll play around with them can’t imagine it being a bad thing and I can store the settings I have now in the Yamaha and compare the difference .

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Outlaw
Ultra-X12
2 ports
1 plugged for extension mode.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, those using port plugs on the subs are also using same on their ported speakers at the same time?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis