HSU VTF-2 MK4 v. Outlaw LFM-1 v. Epik Legend v. SVS

D

dk10438

Enthusiast
Hi looking to get a new subwoofer to replace a Velodyne f1200. My application is 90% home theater and I'm looking for both the best sub as well as value and I'm considering the
VTF-Mk2 548 local pickup
Outlaw LFM-1 plus 629 delivered
Epik Legend 579 delivered
SVS PB-1000 499 delivered

which one will be best for HT and which do you think is the best bang for the buck??

TIA
DK

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
Hi looking to get a new subwoofer to replace a Velodyne f1200. My application is 90% home theater and I'm looking for both the best sub as well as value and I'm considering the
VTF-Mk2 548 local pickup

which one will be best for HT and which do you think is the best bang for the buck??

TIA
DK
Unfortunately, I have not seen third party measurements on those subs. Their big brothers( SVS PB12, Outlaw LFM-1 EX, and Epik Empire have been measured). So, my recommendation is based more on the aggregate of what I have read about those products. Also, the PB-1000 is brand new, obviously, so not even user reviews yet.

If I was making that choice, I would probably avoid the Epik, since I have read too much about their amp quality issues. You can probably look up many user forums regarding that issue and decide for yourself whether or not to keep Epik on your list. That being said, the Legend probably has the most or near the most output of the group you picked.

I would guess the Outlaw would not be better enough to justify the extra price. So, i would have it narrowed down to Hsu vs. SVS from that list. I am guessing that the SVS might play a bit deeper based on specs while the Hsu will have more output. So, if I had a big room or I liked to listen at really loud volumes, the Hsu might be my choice. If I had a smaller-medium room, probably the SVS. If you are not in a rush, SVS usually submits their stuff for reviews, so I bet in a month or two there will be measurements.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Outlaw subs are on sale now through Tuesday, at $50 off and free shipping. This makes the LFM-1 EX $600 and the Plus $500. The nice thing about the VTF2 is that if Hsu is local to you, you could just drive it over there if you ever had problems with it. It also has a Q control that can tighten up the bass a bit. The Epik will probably have more output than the others, but likely only above 50 hz or so. All of the others will have more deep bass output. I don't think the PB1000 will come close to matching any of the others in output. The best value among these for home theater is easily the Outlaw LFM-1 EX, hop on that deal while it lasts. Outlaw can end up back-ordered on these sales, so don't wait too long to grab one.

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
The LFM-1 EX on sale is definitely a great deal. It is a class above the subs you mentioned.

Good find by shadyJ

D

dk10438

Enthusiast
thanks for the reply. although HSU is a fine sub, I had a problem with a cylinder sub in the past and ended up throwing it away. not sure if it was an isolated event or not. good find on the outlaw.
Thanks!

N

nioveratus

Audioholic Intern
I have the LFM-1 Plus and my room is really big(over 6000cu) and it has no problems filling it up. I can feel the bass skaking the walls...I would totally go for LFM-1 Ex,especially at his price..

P

powderhound

Enthusiast
I have been trying to get my hands on the above HSU sub but they can only ship it to me for $245!!!!!
This outlaw sub is now cheaper than than the VTF2-MK4 sub I wanted. So is it agreed upon, this outlaw sub is superior than the HSU I wanted?
If so I will place my order today!
Thanks gentlemen.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Both subs are designed by HSU. The LFM-1 PLUS would probably be a step up in output over the VTF-2, but not the LFM-1EX. The LFM design is effectively the same as an older VTF-3 and should be a very good sub still.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Both subs are designed by HSU. The LFM-1 PLUS would probably be a step up in output over the VTF-2, but not the LFM-1EX. The LFM design is effectively the same as an older VTF-3 and should be a very good sub still.
Sorry, got that backwards - the EX would be the step up and the Plus would not.

808htfan

Junior Audioholic
VTF-Mk2 548 local pickup

TIA
DK
Unfortunately, I have not seen third party measurements on those subs. Their big brothers( SVS PB12, Outlaw LFM-1 EX, and Epik Empire have been measured). So, my recommendation is based more on the aggregate of what I have read about those products. Also, the PB-1000 is brand new, obviously, so not even user reviews yet.
FYI, I asked Outlaw what they expect the LFM-1 Plus would output vs the measurements of the EX in the Audioholics review. Here's what they told me:

Hello Fellow Audiophile,

Under identical test conditions, you can expect the LFM-1 Plus to have a very similar curve, with approximately 4db lower output across the spectrum. It will also roll off at a similar rate, albeit just a little sooner.

:cool:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
FYI, I asked Outlaw what they expect the LFM-1 Plus would output vs the measurements of the EX in the Audioholics review. Here's what they told me:

Hello Fellow Audiophile,

Under identical test conditions, you can expect the LFM-1 Plus to have a very similar curve, with approximately 4db lower output across the spectrum. It will also roll off at a similar rate, albeit just a little sooner.

:cool:
Huh, I wouldn't have expected much less output across the spectrum, just less extension.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Huh, I wouldn't have expected much less output across the spectrum, just less extension.
The product pages for the Plus and the EX list an SPL in the specs section of 115dB and 118dB respectively, so it shouldn't come as a huge shock.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis