HSU VTF-15H Subwoofer Review

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
Indeed, the VTF-15H is a great subwoofer. However, I don't think that it is in the same league with the other two. looking at the charts, it is roughly 4 dB behind the FV15HP at nearly every measured frequency.

Rythmik FV-15HP CEA Test Performance
Frequency Maximum Peak SPL @ 1 Meter RMS SPL @ 2 Meters
20 Hz 116.5 dB 107.5 dB
25 Hz 122.0 dB 113 dB
32 Hz 126.8 dB 117.8 dB
40 Hz 129.0 dB 120 dB
50 Hz 128.9 dB 119.9 dB
63 Hz 128.7 dB 119.7 dB

Hsu Research VTF-15H CEA Test Performance
Frequency Maximum Peak SPL @ 1 Meter RMS @ 2 meters
20 Hz 112.9 dB 103.9 dB
25 Hz 118.8 dB 109.8 dB
32 Hz 122.0 dB 113 dB
40 Hz 124.7 dB 115.7 dB
50 Hz 124.7 dB 115.7 dB
63 Hz 124.6 dB 115.6 dB
Keep in mind the PB13 Ultra is nearly twice the price and the Rythmik 15HP is roughly $400 more before shipping.

If your budget is right at $1K, neither the SVS or the Rythmik FV-15HP would be options. And for the price of a single Rythmik FV15HP, you could almost get a VTF-15H, and as well as their mid bass module.

You are right though, if you can up the budget, the Rythmik seems like a solid value and the one to beat in the under $1500 range.

And then once you get into the $2K range I think you have to start thinking Seaton Submerssive or JTR Captivato along with the SVS.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If your budget is right at $1K, neither the SVS or the Rythmik FV-15HP would be options. And for the price of a single Rythmik FV15HP, you could almost get a VTF-15H, and as well as their mid bass module.
I don't recommend or even understand the whole concept of a mid-bass module. You are usually much better off running similar subs with the exact same signal and bandwidth. Placing a "mid bass" close to the listening area is IMO a pretty bad idea and the "mid bass" should be coming from your front speakers.

While the HSU sub is a hell of a bargain, but it's NOT really comparable to a PB13-Ultra. The same can be said for a Nissan 350Z vs a Porsche Cayman S.

There is more than just sheer SPL output to look at. The SVS sub is brilliantly engineered and uses top notch parts, hence why it also costs a lot more.

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
I don't recommend or even understand the whole concept of a mid-bass module. You are usually much better off running similar subs with the exact same signal and bandwidth. Placing a "mid bass" close to the listening area is IMO a pretty bad idea and the "mid bass" should be coming from your front speakers.

While the HSU sub is a hell of a bargain, but it's NOT really comparable to a PB13-Ultra. The same can be said for a Nissan 350Z vs a Porsche Cayman S.

There is more than just sheer SPL output to look at. The SVS sub is brilliantly engineered and uses top notch parts, hence why it also costs a lot more.
Gene,

The concept is to have your larger sub in the sweet spot of the room so it can handle response from 50hz and lower and the mid bass module to be placed nearfield to handle the bass in the 50-80 (I suppose you can go higher if this is for preference) so you really feel that midbass punch for say something like a gunshot.

Granted, I have not experimented with this myself but I find it an interesting concept as I have a very large room, but also have to deal with WAF and it might be easier (and cheaper) to add a mid bass unit than another big bulky VTF-15H. I have heard some good things about the mid bass module and the dynamic it can bring for action movies.

I do agree with you, the SVS PB-13 Ultra should not really be compared to the HSU. Completely different price points. Even the Rythmik FV15-HP is not really a direct competitor considering the price difference. Which was the point of my response. If one has a $1500-2000 budget, I am not sure the HSU would really be considerd unless you really wanted two subs vs a single.

I am hoping AH can get their hands on a Seaton Submerssive or a JTR Captivator so compare to the SVS PB-13 Ultra. Any plans to do so?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The concept is to have your larger sub in the sweet spot of the room so it can handle response from 50hz and lower and the mid bass module to be placed nearfield to handle the bass in the 50-80 (I suppose you can go higher if this is for preference) so you really feel that midbass punch for say something like a gunshot.
Yea I know the concept and IMO it's NOT a good idea to run multiple subs at different bandwidths nor is it a good idea to place a higher F running sub closer to the listening area. I can't envision a scenario where this would be better than properly placing 2 identical subs playing 80Hz and below.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene,

I am hoping AH can get their hands on a Seaton Submerssive or a JTR Captivator so compare to the SVS PB-13 Ultra. Any plans to do so?
I sent several emails to Seaton Sound requesting review units and never heard back. If they want a review they need to contact us or answer emails.

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
Yea I know the concept and IMO it's NOT a good idea to run multiple subs at different bandwidths nor is it a good idea to place a higher F running sub closer to the listening area. I can't envision a scenario where this would be better than properly placing 2 identical subs playing 80Hz and below.
I have been looking for a used one to try it out. I will let you know if I go down this path. :)

My wife has slowly come around to the VTF-15H, but I am not sure if I could add a second one. These puppies ain't small.

I am running the VTF-15H with PA-150, but am most likely going to sell the PA-150.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Gene have you sat & heard an HSU MBM-12 hooked up & dialed in correctly?

You say its not a good idea in your mind, so just curious as to if this comes from personal experience or speculation based on what you know about subs & room response?

I agree that running 2 identical subs is probably best for most cases. However there are many variables. Size, space, room shape & price come to mind.

For instance i purchased my VTF-15H & that was all i could afford at the time & i really only have room for 1 sub that size. Down the road i had a few bucks i could spare so i grabbed an MBM-12. I have always been intrigued by the idea of splitting the bass signal. It makes sense to my pee-brain :)

Now that i have had both subs for a good 6-8months i have really been able to incorporate the 2 together nicely. I have many times done A/B comparisons of just the VtF-15H & of both together splitting the signal. I use the VTF-15H only when listening to music because most of the time im not in the sweet spot but up & about. Since the MBM is positioned to give the seating area the midbass reinforcement i use the VTF/MBM combo for all my movie sessions.

The MBM is a GREAT addition & does exactly as was advertised. It allows my 15h to be positioned in a spot where the low bass is enhanced. With the MBM being about 6' from the main seating area it gives a very clean & snappy midbass slam. It detailed & comes across completely natural. When crossed over correctly it doesnt draw attention to itself being behind whatsoever. I am very happy with it & would highly recommend it to others if interested.

Gene if your opinion comes from experience then i totally respect it & would never argue that fact. But if its not then i would just recommend you at least give it a listen in a system that is set up properly, you may just be suprised, or you may hold you opinion the same.

As to me saying that i was happy to see the VTF-15H being in the same rating class as the FV15HP & PB13U, i understand that its not quite as powerful as them or that the driver/amp/finish are of same quality. I was just mentioning that its cool to see it being recommended for Extreme size rooms just like them. If i had been able to spend $1400 at once, i probably would have gone with the FV15HP. But now that ive been able to experience the 15H/MBM i must say im not sure id go with the FV, they're that good together IMHO!! Just effortless.

Im absolutely not trying to take anything away from the FV-15HP or PB-13U. Those subs are proven giants & are some of the best performing subs for the money.

My opinion on on commercial subs, "arguably":
Best $1000 sub = HSU VTF-15H
Best $1500 sub = Rythmik FV15HP
Best $2000 sub = SVS PB-13 Ultra

Better performance & overall quality as you move up in price!! Just the way it should be :)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene have you sat & heard an HSU MBM-12 hooked up & dialed in correctly?

You say its not a good idea in your mind, so just curious as to if this comes from personal experience or speculation based on what you know about subs & room response?

I agree that running 2 identical subs is probably best for most cases. However there are many variables. Size, space, room shape & price come to mind.

For instance i purchased my VTF-15H & that was all i could afford at the time & i really only have room for 1 sub that size. Down the road i had a few bucks i could spare so i grabbed an MBM-12. I have always been intrigued by the idea of splitting the bass signal. It makes sense to my pee-brain :)

Now that i have had both subs for a good 6-8months i have really been able to incorporate the 2 together nicely. I have many times done A/B comparisons of just the VtF-15H & of both together splitting the signal. I use the VTF-15H only when listening to music because most of the time im not in the sweet spot but up & about. Since the MBM is positioned to give the seating area the midbass reinforcement i use the VTF/MBM combo for all my movie sessions.

The MBM is a GREAT addition & does exactly as was advertised. It allows my 15h to be positioned in a spot where the low bass is enhanced. With the MBM being about 6' from the main seating area it gives a very clean & snappy midbass slam. It detailed & comes across completely natural. When crossed over correctly it doesnt draw attention to itself being behind whatsoever. I am very happy with it & would highly recommend it to others if interested.

Gene if your opinion comes from experience then i totally respect it & would never argue that fact. But if its not then i would just recommend you at least give it a listen in a system that is set up properly, you may just be suprised, or you may hold you opinion the same.

As to me saying that i was happy to see the VTF-15H being in the same rating class as the FV15HP & PB13U, i understand that its not quite as powerful as them or that the driver/amp/finish are of same quality. I was just mentioning that its cool to see it being recommended for Extreme size rooms just like them. If i had been able to spend $1400 at once, i probably would have gone with the FV15HP. But now that ive been able to experience the 15H/MBM i must say im not sure id go with the FV, they're that good together IMHO!! Just effortless.

Im absolutely not trying to take anything away from the FV-15HP or PB-13U. Those subs are proven giants & are some of the best performing subs for the money.

My opinion on on commercial subs, "arguably":
Best $1000 sub = HSU VTF-15H
Best $1500 sub = Rythmik FV15HP
Best $2000 sub = SVS PB-13 Ultra

Better performance & overall quality as you move up in price!! Just the way it should be :)
Yes actually I heard this setup at Majorlosers house. I suppose with enough tweaking you can make it sound ok but you can achieve far better and more consistent results seat to seat by correctly positioning 2 subs playing the same bandwidth. My goal when setting up a home theater is consistent sound seat to seat and lots of available dynamic range. This is in agreement with how Harman and THX and most other pro calibration organizations do it.

It would be interesting if had the chance to get another VTF-15H, follow our guidelines on setting up multi subs and reran your listening tests. I suspect you wouldn't be so inclined to use the midbass module anymore.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
I agree with you Gene, i have owned identical dual subs before & have implemented the THX guidelines. I got great results no doubt & i agree that if i could own dual VTF-15H subs id probably like that better!

However like i mentioned about variables, $499 & $879 are 2 totally different prices & i cant place the VTF-15H in the spots i could with the MBM-12. In fact id be more inclined to run dual MBM-12s in the 2 rear corners with the VTf-15H up front since the bass from up front is more uniform across multiple seats in my room, which again brings the room shape variable into the picture.

Im not arguing that dual, great performing, subs wouldnt perform better than a single, great performing, sub & MBM-12. Im just saying that in some cases the MBM-12 can be a great addition that makes a noticable audible improvement well worth the $499.

I

Isaansound

Audiophyte
Rolloff of HSU from 63hz to 20hz approx same in db as the more expensive unit and better in that it doesn't have that peak at 40hz. I've used this HSU sub with great satisfaction. Of course I DID read the instructions...I found that all around I got better output with one port open and the Onkyo running the show.I had it cut the sub just above 50hz as my corners did well down to 40 hz.I was using DIY ported boxes with Altec 12" bottoms and VOT 808's on top. With a 604 8g in the middle and 604a's in back, it was good enough. Of course I prefer to be able to discern musical tones at low frequencies rather than the "low rider" bass some prefer. Having said, the HSU would easily rattle the windows during Transformers.
I found the service and communication from Hsu was exemplary. I would have brought it to Thailand with me, but the VOT's were all I could get on the plane!

elwaylite

elwaylite

Audioholic
My large room was energized by the VTF2 MK4, but Ive wanted more so I have a VTF15 on the way. Gonna use my SPL meter to see what kinda of a change actually happens after the replacement :)

R

Raks

Banned
Billy P,

I have couple of questions for you

1. Do you work for Audioholics ?

2. What subwoofer do you own ?

I have been following this thread and I wanted to figure out the answers for the above

Thanks

K

kmpurc56

Audiophyte
Subwoofer Reveiw

From a layman's perspective, the biggest problem I have is how the measurement data is not the same for each review. If you look at all your reviews together post CEA, the presentation of data varies. The data Gene provides shows a significant more screen shots of test results than than others. The data presented in other reviews will vary as well. I have enough of a background that all testing criteria be exactly the same for all subwoofers for evaluation purposes. I should see the exact number and types of screen shots of your test measurements in each subwoofer review. I also wish that explanations be in such way that I don't understand a review for a SVS subwoofer that indicates that a dbspl range of higher htz 95/93 db to lower htz 87/85 db is rated for big rooms and plenty of low output would not be more limited than this review which seems to indicate output range from dbspl 100db to 95/93 db is limited.

I know price point is a real factor, but I believe a range should be developed for example $500 to $1000 grouping. It is hard to translate the term this product compares to other products at much higher price points then see above issue. I did some research since I have a background in noise exposure and found a 90 db level at below 80 htz is still restricted by OSHA. A 4 hour exposure limit is required. Even at this limitation, continual exposure will result in hearing loss. It seems to me that a flatter range with a lower db output in the higher range and higher output in the lower range would be better. One consistency I do see is not matter what the sub is (brand and expense), there is always a substantial drop near, at or below 20 htz. Since we feel more than hear below 20 htz, I have read were the vibration is observed by the listener at lower db rates anyway. Between 30 and 80 htz is where a more continual output will occur, higher db exposure at 100 or more db will potentially cause more hearing loss issue. A logical view might be that performing numerous evaluations over hears might negatively effect listening part of reviews.

O

ooobbbccc

Audiophyte
Why left out the Bassaholics rating again? Is this "Medium" or "Large"?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
From a layman's perspective, the biggest problem I have is how the measurement data is not the same for each review. If you look at all your reviews together post CEA, the presentation of data varies. The data Gene provides shows a significant more screen shots of test results than than others. The data presented in other reviews will vary as well. I have enough of a background that all testing criteria be exactly the same for all subwoofers for evaluation purposes. I should see the exact number and types of screen shots of your test measurements in each subwoofer review. I also wish that explanations be in such way that I don't understand a review for a SVS subwoofer that indicates that a dbspl range of higher htz 95/93 db to lower htz 87/85 db is rated for big rooms and plenty of low output would not be more limited than this review which seems to indicate output range from dbspl 100db to 95/93 db is limited.

I know price point is a real factor, but I believe a range should be developed for example $500 to $1000 grouping. It is hard to translate the term this product compares to other products at much higher price points then see above issue. I did some research since I have a background in noise exposure and found a 90 db level at below 80 htz is still restricted by OSHA. A 4 hour exposure limit is required. Even at this limitation, continual exposure will result in hearing loss. It seems to me that a flatter range with a lower db output in the higher range and higher output in the lower range would be better. One consistency I do see is not matter what the sub is (brand and expense), there is always a substantial drop near, at or below 20 htz. Since we feel more than hear below 20 htz, I have read were the vibration is observed by the listener at lower db rates anyway. Between 30 and 80 htz is where a more continual output will occur, higher db exposure at 100 or more db will potentially cause more hearing loss issue. A logical view might be that performing numerous evaluations over hears might negatively effect listening part of reviews.
You're obviously new to the site and not aware of the following:

Powered Subwoofer Testing: Outline and Procedures Overview — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Audioholics Subwoofer Room Size Rating Protocol — Reviews and News from Audioholics

Audioholics Subwoofer Measurement Data Compilation & Report — Reviews and News from Audioholics
(this link not only teaches you how we measure and what it means, but it also has a PDF with all data tabulated in a very consistent manner).

I challenge you to find another A/V magazine that even remotely does this, and at this level of completeness and accuracy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis