HSU STF-2 vs. VTF-1 MK2

J

jfalek

Enthusiast
Hi,

I am looking to get my first subwoofer. My budget is $350 and I can rationalize to to $450 but not one dollar over that. We will use the sub for listening to music 60% (classical, jazz, and 80's "classical" rock - sigh) and movies 40%.

For HSU, there are two which are in my price range (real range and rationalized) - STF-2 and VTF-1 MK2. I have looked at the web sites and have read most of the threads, but don't really get the advantage of one over the other. I do want to hear the differences in music and I do want to hear the differences in the movies. However, I don't see myself fiddling with the subwoofer each time I switch from movie to music.

Any advice or recommendation? Spend money? Save money? Other options?

Thank you,
James

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
60% music you want something sealed and fast... $450 isn't a terrible budget...

I can get you a deal on a wharfedale sw-300 which is one of the most musical subs I ever heard especially for the price...

I own 4 of them, they were originally $1199, I can get you one brand new for under your budget shipped, just have to check which colors he has left if you are interested....

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
Hi,

I am looking to get my first subwoofer. My budget is $350 and I can rationalize to to $450 but not one dollar over that. We will use the sub for listening to music 60% (classical, jazz, and 80's "classical" rock - sigh) and movies 40%.

For HSU, there are two which are in my price range (real range and rationalized) - STF-2 and VTF-1 MK2. I have looked at the web sites and have read most of the threads, but don't really get the advantage of one over the other. I do want to hear the differences in music and I do want to hear the differences in the movies. However, I don't see myself fiddling with the subwoofer each time I switch from movie to music.

Thank you,
James
I'm a current STF-2 owner. I have owned it for almost four years and have been quite happy. It's very good for music as well as HT. It's probably one of the cleanest and most linear subs at 349.

Judging by your post the STF-2 would probably work well unless you have a huge room to fill. Then something a little larger might be in order.

Remember that set up and placement are the most crucial aspects for good sub performance.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hi,

Thank you,
James
The STF2 is like the VTF1 but with only one tuning point, it just doesn't have the configurability of the VTF. The VTF has multiple tuning points and also has an adjustable Q which can tighten the sound up but at the expense of extension. The VTF1 also has a slightly larger magnet on the driver and slightly more powerful amp so it should be able to get slightly louder. Given your tastes with more music but also movies, I think I might swing for the VTF1 and adjust it to where it sounds best and just leave it there. But, like the above poster said, placement will make a bigger difference in sound than all of the different configurations of the VTF1. Also, like he said, neither of those subs would be appropriate for a large room.

N

nioveratus

Audioholic Intern
I know you said that you were totally firm on the $450 maximum price but if I don't recommend you this subwoofer I won't be able to sleep at night :)...
SB-1000..this sub just came up and it is selling for $499 shipping inlcuded...it is really small,just 13 by 13'' and in my opinion it is way better that the other 2 choices, especially for music...this is the link..

SB-1000 - SVS

Good Luck....

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
I know you said that you were totally firm on the $450 maximum price but if I don't recommend you this subwoofer I won't be able to sleep at night :)...
SB-1000..this sub just came up and it is selling for $499 shipping inlcuded...it is really small,just 13 by 13'' and in my opinion it is way better that the other 2 choices, especially for music...this is the link..

SB-1000 - SVS

Good Luck....
It has some very intriguing specs, but these were released this week and I'd wait for some reviews.

J

jfalek

Enthusiast
First of all, I want to thank all of you who have responded:). Your time and insight is very, very much appreciated. I think that I am beginning to understand:rolleyes:.

shadyJ - thank you for the clarification between the STF-2 and the VTF-1 MK2. But, honestly, I don't really get it. So, since the former is $349 and the latter is $419, what am I really getting for that $70? I can swing the $70 - but I still don't get what the difference will be for me. I'll spend the time to make sure that placement is right - I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing.

anamorphic96 - Good to know that the STF-2 may work for me at $349!

ImcLoud - I am unfamiliar with wharfedale sw-300 - how do they stack up with the other ones listed on this page? Are these new or used? Also, I could not find much about them on the net to help me compare them. What price is "under my budget" - $350 or $450? Does anyone else have knowledge about wharfedale sw-300?

fuzz092888 - The CSX15 Mark II looks real interesting at $379. How does it stack up to the STF-2? The S8 goes down to 29Hz and the only Bravus 8A goes to 40 Hz. My understanding (after my vast 3 days of reading (lol), for HT ) is that I need a subwoofer that would get to mid-20Hz. Am I mistaken in my understanding of what is needed for good HT?

One general question - I am happy to get someone's "used" subwoofer - as long as it has not been totally "destroyed" and "used up". Are there other sites outside of ebay and craigslist that I should look at? And if so, how do I "know" that someone is not just selling me a subwoofer that they have cranked up for the past 3 years? Any recommendations?

Thank you all,
James

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
shadyJ - thank you for the clarification between the STF-2 and the VTF-1 MK2. But, honestly, I don't really get it. So, since the former is $349 and the latter is $419, what am I really getting for that $70? I can swing the $70 - but I still don't get what the difference will be for me. I'll spend the time to make sure that placement is right - I just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing.
To sum it up, for that extra $70 you are basically getting a couple more features that can shape how the sub sounds, where you can give up deep bass in exchange for louder bass or tighter bass.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
If you can find a good used unit that is a very viable option....just be sure you get to listen before you buy and do some research on what a reasonable price is on a used unit.

J

jfalek

Enthusiast
To sum it up, for that extra $70 you are basically getting a couple more features that can shape how the sub sounds, where you can give up deep bass in exchange for louder bass or tighter bass.
I estimate that I have about 3700 cubic square feet. Will the VTF-1 MK2 work in that space?

J

jfalek

Enthusiast
Svs pc12-nsd

What do people think of the SVS PC12-NSD? I showed my wife the Hsu options and she did not like the "aesthetics" of an almost 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot box. To my surprise, she asked me about about the PC12-NSD PC12-NSD - SVS .

I know that SVS has a great reputation but I wanted to find out your views on this subwoofer.

Last edited:
J

jfalek

Enthusiast
Svs pc12-nsd

What do people think of the SVS PC12-NSD? I showed my wife the Hsu options and she did not :eek: like the "aesthetics" of having an almost 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot box in the family room. To my surprise, she asked me about about the PC12-NSD PC12-NSD - SVS . I know that SVS has a great reputation but I wanted to find out your views on this specific subwoofer.:confused: It is alot more expensive but has the "aesthetics" for her and, I think, the sound quality for a neophyte like me. But - what do y'all think of it?

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
I have a 2 pb12-nsd's. no complaints from me. Fills the room up with nice tight bass. It lacks a lot of the customization options of higher prices subwoofers, just basic stuff like gain and phase, but if you're just getting 1 sub your reciever should be able to handle that kind of stuff. The pc12 and pb12 are supposed to sound close to the same according to SVS.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What do people think of the SVS PC12-NSD? I showed my wife the Hsu options and she did not :eek: like the "aesthetics" of having an almost 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot box in the family room. To my surprise, she asked me about about the PC12-NSD PC12-NSD - SVS . I know that SVS has a great reputation but I wanted to find out your views on this specific subwoofer.:confused: It is alot more expensive but has the "aesthetics" for her and, I think, the sound quality for a neophyte like me. But - what do y'all think of it?
I think the PC12-NSD will be considerably better than the VTF1 in performance. Most people don't really like the appearance of the cylinder subs though, but if that doesn't bother you or your wife, I say go for it.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Most people don't really like the appearance of the cylinder subs though, but if that doesn't bother you or your wife, I say go for it.
What's not to like about having a black water heater in your room :D

D

dk10438

Enthusiast
I had the hsu cylinder sub years ago, from a sound perspective it was great. aesthetically, not so good...

the hsu could be positioned horizontally and hidden behind the couch and that worked quite well from a visual and sound standpoint.

E

enzokool

Audiophyte
is there anybody on this site that might have one HSU STF-2 for sale. looking for one please. Thank you
i found some deals for 350 online. but looking for the best price, (used) in good condition.

Last edited:
S

steel_3d

Audiophyte
60% music you want something sealed and fast... $450 isn't a terrible budget...

I can get you a deal on a wharfedale sw-300 which is one of the most musical subs I ever heard especially for the price...

I own 4 of them, they were originally $1199, I can get you one brand new for under your budget shipped, just have to check which colors he has left if you are interested....
I'd be interested. PM me please.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis