HSU STF-2 vs Energy S10.3

D

dinkeye

Audioholic Intern
I know this has been talked about a ton on here, but here it goes....again.
What would you boys prefer.... the HSU STF-2 or the Energy S10.3???
I have Energy C-3's for main and rears with a Yamaha RXV2500.

Which one of these units will shake the house more? I need to pull the trigger on this purchase this week and am having a heck of a time making a decision

sbader2

sbader2

Junior Audioholic
I can't speak for the Energy, but I just got the STF-2 last week and it shakes my house. Seriously, its incredible. Check with HSU to see if they have a
b-stock (20% off).

D

dinkeye

Audioholic Intern
Can anyone add any info to this..... would be much appreciated, my novice ears just can't cut it

W

warpdrive

Full Audioholic
Neither, they will probably be very close overall.

Both are solid down to 25Hz, and both can put out solid clean bass. If you are buying the energy from a local dealer, my inclination would be to go with them....easier to deal with than mail order if you have problems.

sbader2

sbader2

Junior Audioholic
Another thing to consider is the included warranty, the HSU comes with 7 years on woofer, 2 years on electronics. I can't find what the Energy warranty is though. I also agree that if you can get it from a local dealer you should but if not the people at HSU are great.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I have not heard the HSU STF-2, but I have heard the S10.3 extensively.

I found it to have clean bass, much cleaner then the other subwoofer I compared it to(DLS5000R), but it still had the extension of the 15incher. I might go down tonight and listen to it and tell you what I heard. I wanna test it out on some new music I got.

SheepStar

D

dinkeye

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the replies guys. I was hoping Sheep would get in on this one as I know you are an Energy fan.
I just ordered my CC1 center today for $249 CDN. Hope it matches the system I got, couldn't find the CC3 in Canada.
I can get the S10.3 for $550 plus GST. Might shop around to find a better deal.

The13thGryphon

The13thGryphon

Audioholic
Of the two, my choice would undoubtedly be the Hsu. However, it's a very close race.

Roger Kanno, a reviewer for Home Theater & Sound, found the following while reviewing the bigger brother of the Mirage Omni S10/Energy S10.3, the Omni S12... "Although the Mirage was very agile, the Hsu [the VTF-3 Mk II - which is comparable to the Omni S12] is even tighter and more controlled. The heartbeats from Dr. Chesky’s 5.1 Surround Show sounded cleaner through the Hsu, though there didn’t seem to be much of a difference in output levels (except with the 20Hz tone, where the Hsu seemed slightly louder). At reference levels, which most people find far too loud, the Hsu was clearly able to play louder with less distortion than the Mirage; at normal listening levels, the differences were almost indistinguishable."

However, he also went on to state that "In fact, in my day-to-day listening (which some would still consider to be very loud), the Omni S12 consistently surprised me by keeping pace with the Hsu VTF-3 Mk II. If you don’t want a big, unwieldy subwoofer in your living room, the Omni S12 will provide as much bass performance as most people will ever need."

So the differences are not huge. You'd probably be happy either way.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
dinkeye said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I was hoping Sheep would get in on this one as I know you are an Energy fan.
I just ordered my CC1 center today for $249 CDN. Hope it matches the system I got, couldn't find the CC3 in Canada.
I can get the S10.3 for $550 plus GST. Might shop around to find a better deal.
I didn't get a chance to listen to the sub today, they closed before 7 for some reason (usually close at 8 or 9).

Considering the size difference between the S12.3 and HSU VTF-3, plus hte tuning ability, this not a fair comparison. I also like the look of the mirage over the Hsu. It's just to plain.

If the Energy/Mirage subwoofers had bigger enclosures, they would be great subs, worthy of Hsu.

SheepStar

J

JaceTheAce

Audioholic
I have my Energy C-3's paired up with an older S10.1 sub. While I can't speak for the S10.3, to give you an idea the 10.1 is a great sub for both music and movies. I tend to turn of the subwoofer while listening to music on the C-3's because they are plenty adequate for putting out clean bass.

I'd try to listen to both. Maybe you can find someone in your area that has the Hsu sub - I think it's rare to find a local dealer with Hsu subs. Take your speakers along with you if you can, - or - take both subs home and try them out (it's normal for high end audio dealers to let you test speakers/subs in the room you'll be buying the speakers/subs for)

C

Chrisk327

Audiophyte
I have a Mirage S12, and I'm happy with it. I have no previous sub experience and cannot give camparisons besides what i heard in store which was not HSU.

Just as an FYI the Mirage S12 is on sale at www.vanns.com for $399 US shipped.

D

dinkeye

Audioholic Intern
It's a tough decision. Do I buy the Energy which is good performer to save the hassle of ordering the HSU which might be better?
Thanks for your info guys, I'm thinking to try the Energy and return it if I am not happy....

sbader2

sbader2

Junior Audioholic
You also get a 30 day return period if you order the normal HSU STF-2 (not b-stock). And ordering from them is not a hassle. Of course its not as easy as buying in store. If possible you should take advantage of both return policies and try them both out and see which one you like. The most you can lose is the return shipping for the HSU.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
OK, I went and listened to the S10.3, and again, compared it to the Velodyne DLS5000R.

I still perfered it to the 15inch Velodyne. I can't seem to describe the difference, but the Energy sounds so lean. The velodyne just slurred notes together like a drunk.

Oh yeah, the A&B sound near me is closing down and moving, so theres mad deals right now.

Tomorrow I'm picking up a Energy CC-1 for 175! :D :D

SheepStar

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis