HSU STF-1 vs Velodyne DPS-10B

R

Reggie Died

Audioholic Intern
I've been in the market for a subwoofer, and have been doing as much research as possible online. Through reading reviews, articles, and many different threads regarding subwoofers, i've concluded that in the sub $500 range, HSU Research and SVS subs are the best bang for your buck.

However, i live in Canada, which takes SVS out of the picture.

So my question is, all things being equal, would I be better off with an HSU STF-1, or a Velodyn DPS-10B.

STF-1 = $399.95 + taxes
DPS-10B = $399.99 including taxes

Another option is the STF-2, which would be $499.95 + taxes.

My room is 14x17, with 8inch celings. It would be mainly used for HT, but about 30% music (rock, metal, hip-hop) so want a sub that will work well with music.

I know the STF-2 is the best bet, and that the STF-1 will probably be better with music than the Velodyne, but for a non-audiophile who doens't want to spend TOO much money, and who doens't need the best bass (my music tastes don't necessarily require accurate bass, (ie no jazz or classical music) and i'm under the impression that HT LFE isn't the hardest thing to reproduce), would the velodyne fit my needs? It will go lower, it is cheaper, and Velodyne is a respectable brand.

Thanks for any input.

Reggie

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
I'd go for the HSU. It'll be worth it. Also you may want to check audiogon.com and Ebay if you'd consider a used sub. For 500 bucks you can get a much better sub used than new. For 400 used you can outdo anything for 500 new. Many people will ship to Canada and some are already in Canada. If you get the low end Velodyne you may end up having to sell it at a loss imo. I've known two people with those little Velo's and they weren't happy and ended up selling at a loss and spending the money they wished they would have in the first place. Here's the sub list on Audiogon:
http://buy0.audiogon.com/cgia/fsb.pl?homesubw&1&ctg&st1
With your budget I'd buy used. M&K used is also a great buy. There's a M&K MX 125 MKII and the guy's only asking 550.00. Offer 500 shipped as it's been for sale for a while and you'd probably get it. He's in my hometown, Portland, OR which is how I noticed it and shipping won't be too bad.This thing is very good for movies or music. It's a newer model and may also be a current model I'm not sure but for that much money you'd be well advised to buy a quality used sub in excellent condition.

R

Reggie Died

Audioholic Intern
Thanks. HSU was my gut choice, I was mainly just looking for some reassurance. :)

Now i have to choose between the STF-1 and the STF-2. :confused:

T

Tdekany

Junior Audioholic
if you end up with the STF1 & follow the advice of Dr Hsu about placement, you will get more than enough bass I think.

You can't go wrong either way.

R

Reggie Died

Audioholic Intern
Tdekany said:
if you end up with the STF1 & follow the advice of Dr Hsu about placement, you will get more than enough bass I think.

You can't go wrong either way.
Are you refering to an article i'm unaware of, or the "Recommender Box", where you can briefly email them your room proportions and acoustics, and they recommend the best subwoofer and subwoofer placement for your room?

If the latter, then my fears of the STF-1 being too small for my room are further enforced, becasue they recommended the VTF-2. :confused:

T

Tdekany

Junior Audioholic
Reggie Died said:
Are you refering to an article i'm unaware of, or the "Recommender Box", where you can briefly email them your room proportions and acoustics, and they recommend the best subwoofer and subwoofer placement for your room?

If the latter, then my fears of the STF-1 being too small for my room are further enforced, becasue they recommended the VTF-2. :confused:
In that case get the STF2 or give Dr Hsu a call and see what he has to say about it.

R

Reggie Died

Audioholic Intern
I was looking at some used subwoofers, and came across a Definitive Technology PF15 sub going for $400 CDN. This fits in perfectly with my budget. Considering it's in good condition, how would this sub stack up against HSU Research's offerings?

Thanks for any inputs

MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
Mr Reggie i live in toronto canada i was doing research on the SVS subs. the amps are actually made here in markham. nice there half canadian subs. well back on track the shipping is not that much i thinks its like 50usd. which is worth it for those sick A** subs.

R

Reggie Died

Audioholic Intern
True, but how much would customs be?

If i lived in the states, or if they had a canadian distributor, it would be very hard for someone to convince me NOPT to buy the PB10-ISD by SVS. That thing makes me drool.

But alas, my budget just doesn't cover it. :mad:

MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
Well you would pay the normal taxes i think and the duties shouldnt be much since the North American Free Trade Agreement is there. The sub is made usa & canada but prolly would be just Manufactured in U.S.A so its all good. I will prolly end up buying it once i have the money im in high skool so i gotta budget my money good.Also i have ordered my reciever, speakers and cables over online and save alot of money but i had to wait :(

MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
Also were you getting the DPS-10 399 with taxes. At future shop the only place ive seen it even though i havent looked around is 499.99.

R

Reggie Died

Audioholic Intern
They had it on sale for $399. It might have just ended.
Plus, the Futureshop in question is located in a mall on an indian reserve. Therefore, if my native co-worker goes in with me, and shows his status card; no taxes.

Plus I work in the mall (right next to FS actually) and have freinds who work there. Might have been able to get a staff discount.

PS I'm actually just out of highschool, attending college. I know all about budget constraints. Damn this new found obsession with HT equipment.

MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
LOL yes an obsession it is. Well watever you choose good luck. I am hope i could get the svs pd10 its just so beautiful. 300 watts(BASH amp) vs the hsu 200 watts (i think also a BASH amp). the svs is +/- 3dB from 20-100hz anechoic, in room extension will be 2-5hz deeper(there graph shows 20Hz at about 93dB spl :cool: . the hsu Bass extension +/- 2 dB: 25 Hz. There both awesome but if i could get the svs, its mine!!

R

Reggie Died

Audioholic Intern
I full heartedly agree with you that all things being equal, the SVS PB10-ISD is slightly better than the HSU STF2.

However, when the price is considered, i feel that the HSU wins hands down.

HSU STF2 = $499.99 CDN + taxes = $572.49
(plus gas money to go pick it up, although it is only a 20 min drive away)

SVS PB10-ISD = $429.00 USD = $519.73 + taxes = $594.98 + shipping ($128.44) = $723 CDN

That price is assuming a)shipping is in CDN (which i doubt) and b)there is no duties or customs (which there most definatly will be).

So while the SVS is better than the HSU, i don't believe it is $150 + better than the HSU.

****ing shipping and customs, i wish SVS had a canadian distributor.

But i should really get back to my psych paper. :)

MasterChief

MasterChief

Junior Audioholic
Very true. Both awesome subs.If the price were to be around 700 cad i might as well get the VTF-3 MK 2 for 699.99 Beautiful 12" . But room is the thing.
im not good with my measurements but its like this the actual HT area is about 18 x 13. but the room is acually longer about 23 x 13. so im not sure if the 10" will do but probablly.
Oh yea the shipping fees and taxes blah blah screws us over i would of saved even more on other thing i have bought aHH!! :mad:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis