Howto Quiet the HVAC Intake?

M

m1abrams

Audioholic Intern
I have an HVAC intake in my family room where our main TV and listening area is. Are there any good ways to reduce the amount of noise that comes from the HVAC return intake?

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
According to my acoustics book, a couple of things to try are: lining the duct with some kind of sound absorbent, and/or placing a sound-absorbent baffle in front of the duct that still allows air to pass.

Lining an existing, installed duct could be difficult of course, but one possibility might be to spray the inside of the duct as far as possible with that sound absorbing spray the car audio guys use. If I understand correctly, just dampening the last couple of feet or so of a run can make a difference.

I've also heard of installing staggered baffles inside the duct but you have to be able to access it (I toss that out just in case it's practical to do so, or you are really feeling ambitious!)

For the external baffle, I think a piece of plywood or similar material, several inches larger than the outlet and spaced out from the outlet to allow air to pass around it might be effective. Acoustic foam or acoustic tile adhered to the ply would add absorption. Paint or wallpaper the outer surface to match or harmonize with your room (or wrap in fabric) so it isn't ugly.

So much for my amateur opinions. Maybe some pro installers will chime in here with more informed options!

M

m1abrams

Audioholic Intern
Installing an external baffle might be a good idea, IF I can make it pass the WAF. Spraying ascoustic faom inside may help but I think my biggest noise problem is turbelent air through the grate, so not sure how much that would really help.

Anyone have much like with a different type of grate?

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
If you can get the external baffle to pass muster with the spouse (let her pick the fabric?) why not ditch the grate altogether?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis