How's this for a 2-channel office system?

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
What would you change?

Amplifier - Outlaw Audio RR2160
Digital Media Player - Sonos Connect
Turntable - Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon DC
Compact Disc Player - Marantz SA8004
Mains - KEF LS50 (Black Edition)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What would you change?

Looks like a great little system. I wouldn't change anything, but I might add a subwoofer to take a load off the LS50s in deep bass, but only if you listen to music that has deep bass content. If not, the LS50s should have adequate bass extension for many types of music.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
I do have the Outlaw Audio M8 but it's not connected at this time. I'm actually about to sell it as the office environment doesn't allow for a sub at this time. I might (MIGHT) get the SVS SB12-NSD next Black Friday (2019)

Looks like a great little system. I wouldn't change anything, but I might add a subwoofer to take a load off the LS50s in deep bass, but only if you listen to music that has deep bass content. If not, the LS50s should have adequate bass extension for many types of music.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The 2160 and the LS50's are two components that I would love to own. Given that the 2160 has bass management it would be a good move to use it. Excellent choices. Be sure to snap a few pics if you don't mind. Congrats on such a stellar setup.

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think that is a great office system!
Only comment I have is unless you need the money from the m8 for the new system, hold on to it a bit longer and test out your system at home with & w/o m8 at various volume levels.
I think you won't miss much assuming normal office levels w/o sub, but it is a shame not to take advantage of the opportunity to trial ls50 with sub for education/future reference . I believe 100hz is recommended xo frequency, but I know @PENG has done a very thorough job of dialing his in!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't even imagine wanting a turntable in the office let alone the LPs......and not having subs in place I already own. Maybe that's just me :) When I worked my office only had music in the background on a very small 2.1 computer speaker setup at best, except occasionally after hours when it was empty and the volume could be turned up a bit but then I didn't want to be there and would rather work without too much distraction (never worked from home, altho a couple times I tried but that's waaaay too distracting with the available toys and stuff). YMMV.

I am curious what does the Sonos bring to the table in such a system? (Sonos in the sense of connectivity, or why one of their units was a stand-alone unit choice particularly).

Last edited:
Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
I’ll take in the sub to try it out. I work in a part of the building where not many people are around me for the most part so I could probably get away with it

I think that is a great office system!
Only comment I have is unless you need the money from the m8 for the new system, hold on to it a bit longer and test out your system at home with & w/o m8 at various volume levels.
I think you won't miss much assuming normal office levels w/o sub, but it is a shame not to take advantage of the opportunity to trial ls50 with sub for education/future reference . I believe 100hz is recommended xo frequency, but I know @PENG has done a very thorough job of dialing his in!

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
Can't even imagine wanting a turntable in the office let alone the LPs......and not having subs in place I already own. Maybe that's just me :) When I worked my office only had music in the background on a very small 2.1 computer speaker setup at best, except occasionally after hours when it was empty and the volume could be turned up a bit but then I didn't want to be there and would rather work without too much distraction (never worked from home, altho a couple times I tried but that's waaaay too distracting with the available toys and stuff). YMMV.

I am curious what does the Sonos bring to the table in such a system? (Sonos in the sense of connectivity, or why one of their units was a stand-alone unit choice particularly).
I like having the turntable there. I don’t really have room for it on my home system. The Sonos brings music streaming of course. I’m not sure I understand the question. I cant have a ton of CDs in the office.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
What would you change?

In my office, all I got is Behringer UMC404HD dac/balanced pre-amp/headphone amp, a pair of studio monitors (JBL LSR2325p on nice stands [sig photo is old setup]) and few decent headphones (at the moment it's Sennheiser HD600 or AKG K712pro)
If I were you, I'd simply the setup to just a media player and active speakers.
some great speakers in your budget:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Alpha65--focal-alpha-65-6.5-inch-powered-studio-monitor
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR705P--jbl-705p-7-series-5-inch-powered-studio-monitor
http://salksound.com/model.php?model=PowerPlay Monitors

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I like having the turntable there. I don’t really have room for it on my home system. The Sonos brings music streaming of course. I’m not sure I understand the question. I cant have a ton of CDs in the office.
I think of the Sonos as a wireless solution but doesn't seem to be the use here. Did you already have the Sonos from other systems or something?

If space is an issue that's not much of an argument for a tt/lps :) I might use an optical disc player but not for cd's these days (used to keep quite a few at the office, tho), but rather streaming/thumb drive use; I have all my cd's ripped to flac now, a thumb drive takes up much less room.

S

speedknot

Enthusiast
Quite simply, this "office" setup rivals that of what most people have in their living room. Except for the addition of a sub, I wouldnt change a thing. Is this a home office? If not, you can tell your employees that in lieu of a raise, you treat them to candy for the ears.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
Quite simply, this "office" setup rivals that of what most people have in their living room. Except for the addition of a sub, I wouldnt change a thing. Is this a home office? If not, you can tell your employees that in lieu of a raise, you treat them to candy for the ears.
I did add a sub. I was able to pick up a Sunfire XTEQ 8" on eBay for a great price.

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
I think of the Sonos as a wireless solution but doesn't seem to be the use here. Did you already have the Sonos from other systems or something?

If space is an issue that's not much of an argument for a tt/lps :) I might use an optical disc player but not for cd's these days (used to keep quite a few at the office, tho), but rather streaming/thumb drive use; I have all my cd's ripped to flac now, a thumb drive takes up much less room.
I do stream with the Sonos most times. If I want to sit and relax for a bit, I'll throw on an SACD or LP

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
The 2160 and the LS50's are two components that I would love to own. Given that the 2160 has bass management it would be a good move to use it. Excellent choices. Be sure to snap a few pics if you don't mind. Congrats on such a stellar setup.

Cheers,

Phil
Here are a couple of shots

Attachments

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
@Carl08 very nice. Thanks for posting some pics! I am sure it sounds very good! :cool:

Cheers,

Phil

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Quite simply, this "office" setup rivals that of what most people have in their living room. Except for the addition of a sub, I wouldn't change a thing. Is this a home office? If not, you can tell your employees that in lieu of a raise, you treat them to candy for the ears.
Agreed that is one sweet little system. Just curious what phono cart are you using with the project TT?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds awesome. On Mondays I'm the only one in the office and I crank it!
So Carl08 do you get the air guitar out and rock it......LOL????? I play a mean one myself. Nothing at all wrong with rocking out. Enjoy! :cool:

Cheers,

Phil

Carl08

Carl08

Audioholic
I don’t whip out the air guitar but my head does bob to the point that I might get whiplash

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis