hows the best way to wire a car stereo?

J

jefany4

Audiophyte
i have the sony excd-206 car stereo
i cant seem to wire it correctly!
because i have no power...........anyone kno the wiring diagram for this model?.........please email with the help...thanks

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
What color wires do you have.

Usually (but not always) yellow is +12v constant, red is +12v switched, and black is common ground.

Note that +12v consstant NEEDS to go to an ALWAYS ON +12v source, while +12v switched goes to a +12 source that turns off when the car's ignition switch is in the "off" position.

Blue is remote (antenna or amplifier)

The rest should be speaker connections, stripe is usually negative. Just hook up a cheapo driver to each speaker pair and figure out which channel it is using the balance and fader.

J

jefany4

Audiophyte
thanks steve

i found that by running the yellow direct to pos. on battery.......the car stereo works................and when i turn off the car the stereo goes off too........is that the best way?
also will it drain the battery when the car is off?
thanks again,jeff

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
Thats not the best way to do it. Find a constan on power source in the car and go off that. As far as killing the car no. You need a constant you retain memory and such it barley draws anything. In fact all car stereos have the same thing.

Sean

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis