How would you mount tv?

K

KurantAK

Audioholic Intern
In basement, the bottom 39” of wall is foundation, and then it has a small shelf of about 5 inches, and then the rest of the wall
Goes up. So basically, there is a shelf at 39” that goes around 2 of the 4 walls, including the one I want to put the TV, because its the short end of the room. Do I buy a full motion mount and extend it so the TV sticks out below the shelf? Or would you mount the TV entirely above the shelf an angle slightly down?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
At 39" you should have the room to do either. Think about speaker placement. Will there be a centre channel speaker or sound bar below the TV? You do not want the TV to stick out further than the front of the speaker. Full motion mount will also be more expensive. Where are the windows in the room and will you have any issues with light reflections? A tilt mount is usually sufficient to angle the TV down towards the seating position and reduce reflections. If the seating is directly in front of the TV then a tilt mount should be fine. Full motion is more of a requirement when you need off centre viewing angles. I would not worry about the distance from the wall unless the asthetic of the knee wall really bothers you.

K

KurantAK

Audioholic Intern
The knee wall stops at 39” measured from the floor. The channel will sit on a stand or AV center about 26” or 30” respectively.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The knee wall stops at 39” measured from the floor. The channel will sit on a stand or AV center about 26” or 30” respectively.
It's going to come down to personal preference. If the center speaker is on a stand or AV center then I would assume that you'll have floor speakers or main speakers on stands lined up with the center. Typical install would have the TV on the wall. Using a full motion mount to suspend the TV over the AV center would give the appearance of the TV hanging in mid air. That might not appeal to some but I see no technical reason to suspend the TV in front of the knee wall. Well, just one. If the TV is mounted just above the center speaker, but in behind it, sometimes the speaker can block the remote from seeing the remote receiver on the TV. Make sure that from the main seating position at hand level you have a clear line of sight to the remote receiver which is typically along the bottom edge of the TV. If the TV is well above the speaker this won't be an issue and it can be mounted tight to the wall.

K

KurantAK

Audioholic Intern
I guess I was more worried about the TV just simply sitting too high to watch comfortably. I figured suspending the TV over the knee wall would allow it to be a bit lower, perhaps I’m overthinking this. Sitting in my chair eye level is about 40 inches, so it might be just fine..

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
There is an article from 2011 on installing flat screens here. It doesn't mention screen height but that would depend on viewing distance and screen size. Unless you are sitting real close I would not worry too much about the screen being too high. You're limited on how low it can go by the centre speaker any way, unless you choose to mount the centre above the TV so that the TV can be more eye level, but I would not recommend that unless the room is large. In a small or medium room I prefer the centre speaker to be closer to ear level. The TV a little above the centre is usually a comfortable viewing height, but don't be afraid to experiment and plan thoroughly. Even something simple like cardboard sheets or mural paper the size of the TV hung with tape can give you an idea whether the positioning is something you'll like.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
FWIW, the bottom of my screen is 44.5" high and I am quite comfortable sitting and watching, though that isn't my primary usage of the space. That said, I tend to sit very upright and my ears are at 49" high. :)

There are some good ceiling mount accessories. Wall mounts may be a little more forgiving, but for ceiling mount, I wouldn't skimp. Chief seems to be the go-to brand for this as a secure option. There are others available for less, but... that would be a risk you have to weigh for yourself.

Also, if you get a good dual arm wall mount that will allow you to extend the TV out past the shelf, you should also have some ability for vertical adjustment...
Install wall mount bracket to studs where you want the TV, as low as possible, extend the arms past the shelf, and adjust the bracket on the TV to hang as low as necessary for your comfort.

Try to keep about a foot between your speakers and the screen for better acoustics. :)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
From behind, of course.:D Sorry, I couldn’t pass it up. My apologies.;)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would probably go with trying a standard cheap tilting wall mount first. Not sure how large your TV is, what distance you are from it, or what your viewing habits are. I know we like our TV lower in the room to accommodate those sitting upright better. But, tilting mounts are less than 30 bucks for reasonable quality.

If you want to get fancy, Monoprice has a pull down mount for about 100 bucks which I wouldn't use by default, but would consider for sure...

T

T.Anders

Audioholic Intern
It's either going to be the 77" CX LG OLED or the 85" Sony X900H.

I wanted the TV a little lower, as we will generally only watch movies in there. I was hoping to get it about 35" off the floor - but I think the knee wall would keep it from extending far enough on a standard tilting mount. I need about 6 to 6 1/2 inches to get past the shelf.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Here's one that could work:

I use a smaller one for my TV and it's been fine. @BMXTRIX will likely have a different recommendation. :)

But they are out there, you just have to sift through some stuff to find what you need.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Here's one that could work:

I use a smaller one for my TV and it's been fine. @BMXTRIX will likely have a different recommendation. :)

But they are out there, you just have to sift through some stuff to find what you need.
I will say that I've used mounts from Amazon, and Monoprice is one of my go-to companies for price/quality. But, it largely depends on the actual display in use and how much it weighs. If you only need it to tilt, then do NOT get a fully articulating mount. They tend to not be as strong overall and can cause long term problems if the display has some heft to it. For REALLY heavy displays, think 100 pounds or so. Like many of the 85" sized displays, if you intend to use an articulating mount, then I would not go with anything less than a Chief double arm mount. It's one of the few which can support the weight of a full grown adult with almost zero flex. It's actually safe.

But, I think I've used that VideoSecure mount, or something similar from Amazon in the past for my father's 65" LCD and for the occasional here and there install.

For larger displays, I swear by the large tilting mount from Monoprice...

That mount is incredibly strong and it spans 3 studs, which is incredibly safe.

If you are noticing a pattern here... safety first.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I will say that I've used mounts from Amazon, and Monoprice is one of my go-to companies for price/quality. But, it largely depends on the actual display in use and how much it weighs. If you only need it to tilt, then do NOT get a fully articulating mount. They tend to not be as strong overall and can cause long term problems if the display has some heft to it. For REALLY heavy displays, think 100 pounds or so. Like many of the 85" sized displays, if you intend to use an articulating mount, then I would not go with anything less than a Chief double arm mount. It's one of the few which can support the weight of a full grown adult with almost zero flex. It's actually safe.

But, I think I've used that VideoSecure mount, or something similar from Amazon in the past for my father's 65" LCD and for the occasional here and there install.

For larger displays, I swear by the large tilting mount from Monoprice...

That mount is incredibly strong and it spans 3 studs, which is incredibly safe.

If you are noticing a pattern here... safety first.
OP says he has a small "shelf" or ledge that sticks out about 5" from the wall where he would be mounting the TV.
I don't know who we are helping here... @T.Anders or @KurantAK ...or both :) But it sounds like at least a common problem that requires a dual arm extension or something to get the back of the TV off the 'mounting' wall by 7-8" in order to safely clear the ledge.

I like the sound of that Monoprice mount, and that it can span 3 wall studs is outstanding!

Is there something you know and like that is dual arm-extendable and on the sturdier side than perhaps the Video Secu?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord

I've got a couple hundred pounders up on walls using their mounts. If I mount stuff for other people they get Peerless mounts too.

I strap a piece of 3/4 plywood to the wall where the mount is gonna go. Paint, stain, edgebanding, nosing etc can be used to blend or decorate the ply and the ply can be extended a little past the mount to catch a nearby stud that the mount would miss.

If you need to clear the 5" wall/shelf, why not build a box out of 2x6 to receive the mount instead of my plywood trick?

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

I've got a couple hundred pounders up on walls using their mounts. If I mount stuff for other people they get Peerless mounts too.

I strap a piece of 3/4 plywood to the wall where the mount is gonna go. Paint, stain, edgebanding, nosing etc can be used to blend or decorate the ply and the ply can be extended a little past the mount to catch a nearby stud that the mount would miss.

If you need to clear the 5" wall/shelf, why not build a box out of 2x6 to receive the mount instead of my plywood trick?
The OP was concerned about mounting height. The knee wall is 39", so if the OP wants the bottom of the TV lower than 39", it has to clear the knee wall. If above the knee wall the question is whether the TV can be mounted close to the wall or should it still extend out to the knee wall. That's a personal preference in my view, but the OP should bear in mind that the lower the TV is mounted the more you have to pay attention to light sources that might reflect off of the TV screen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis