How Would You Build a Budget Audiophile System?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
In the latest editorial from Jerry Del Coliano, he discusses the process of helping a friend on purchasing their first audiophile system.

How would you do it? They have $5,000 to spend and know just a bit about audio systems. The advice you give might make or break this persons foray into the audiophile world, so choose wisely. We discuss how to build an audiophile system on a budget with future upgrade path and video support for streaming and powered subwoofer for extended bass response. In an AV receiver with preouts and bass management the right starting path even if the system will likely only be used in 2CH?

NAD.jpg

Read: How to Build a Budget Audiophile System

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I think that a first level question is always "What is your end goal, and do you know if you have one?"

So many people really don't know. Audio has changed drastically in the last twenty+ years as we really have moved from physical media to digital entirely. Therefore...

I think it is not only disheartening, but completely lacking to not discuss the digital delivery method for the entire audio system up front. Is this guy really planning on digging through a CD collection? Is he into the entire analog audio world of a record player? One of those guys that swears (all evidence to the contrary) that a turntable delivers better sound than the digital high-bitrate version? Okay, that's fine. That's their choice. It's wrong, but it IS their choice.

The present is digital audio delivery. Whether streaming from a online provider of HD audio, or a locally stored collection of digital audio files... The PRESENT is streaming media.

This means that the streaming device should be one of the first topics of conversation.

To be realistic, $5,000 isn't a 'BUDGET' system. It may be a budget audiophile system, but it is far more than a ton of people are willing to spend on a stereo setup these days. Like a .1% of the .1% of the .1%. Money is much better spent elsewhere to the vast (VAST!) majority. One of those places they WILL spend money?

To get a GOOD streaming experience!

This is why Roku is so popular along with other streaming devices. It's also why Sonos has gone from nonexistent to the top audio streaming platform out there, and why Denon and Yamaha have taken notice. The lack of audio perfection is why a company like Bluesound exists, and certainly must be a talking point if someone actually desires top shelf audio in their system.

Yes, speakers... blah, blah, blah. Really, so much personal preference is related to speakers, AV receivers, and more... it gets gross really quick. Someone listening at reference levels for extended periods of time in their home will be deaf in just a few years. But, at least they should have a convenient way to access all the music in the world, and a streaming device which can deliver that experience with quality and high ease of use and reliability along the way.

I do agree that a good subwoofer should be a part of any system. Along with a nice OLED.

J

jcarys

Audiophyte
On that list of great Canadian speaker brands, I would definitely add PSB. Considering where he lives, I would go all Canadian with NAD or Bryston too.

How much would I spend on vinyl? That is a big $0, but others will come to a different conclusion. You certainly can get a good turntable for $500 if you want it.

I would spend that money on quality streaming. Three years ago I would have said that the quality and diversity of music just wasn't good enough, but not any more.

B

BW Krell

Audiophyte
I agree with BMXTRIX. If there is an interest in getting young people interested in quality sound, do we really start with a turntable, room treatments, and cables? How about a Cambridge Audio AXA35 integrated amp ($399), and a pair of SVS Ultra bookshelf speakers ($599). Any old speaker wire. They can use their phones to run the streaming audio. Done. About $1,000, and a world away from ear buds.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
On that list of great Canadian speaker brands, I would definitely add PSB. Considering where he lives, I would go all Canadian with NAD or Bryston too.

How much would I spend on vinyl? That is a big $0, but others will come to a different conclusion. You certainly can get a good turntable for $500 if you want it.

I would spend that money on quality streaming. Three years ago I would have said that the quality and diversity of music just wasn't good enough, but not any more.
NAD and Bryston are two expensive brands that should not be on the list for a budget audiophile system, as per the title of this thread. You can get good audio performance with a lot more affordable electronics.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If you have the space it’s good to start by choosing a separate room where there are no WAF issues. :)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
The challenge is not knowing the other person's expectations. Some people think that a Sonos or Bose Wave radio sound great. You could put something together for $2k and they would be happy. (I would add a decent subwoofer to BW Krell's amp and speakers.) Just look at some of the CheapAudioMan's suggested systems. At what point does it become 'Audiophile'? That line has been getting blurred over the years. For my tastes, it would take $5k to put together a system, but if my niece or nephew came to me for recommendations, I would not expect them to spend that kind of money. I think $2k is a good point of entry for an apartment dweller and if they balk at that price, you can get decent sound for less than that with the right choice in speakers.

For the op's friend in question, I would suggest around $1k+ for a decent AVR that would allow for some expansion, although pre-outs can be hard to find in that price range (the RX-A2A has them). A good subwoofer in Canada will set you back $1k to $1500. If you can't afford a Bluesound Node, an NVidia Shield Pro can handle a lot of formats for only $260 but you'll need a TV in the mix. The rest of the budget can go into speakers according to whatever the friend likes, both sonic-ally and aesthetically.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Seriously?
Jerry, do you ever see the criticism about your articles?

This is par for the course, though. Your first Receiver, at 14, was NAD?! When I was 16, my Dad bought an NAD Receiver and CD player for the house. I had a $150 dollar all-in-one Panasonic box. I had a separate component Sony CD player for my system.
I considered myself exceptionally fortunate, none of my friends had anything like I did. Regardless...

Your idea of budget systems... vs. everybody else idea of budget... is seriously skewed.

When somebody shows up here at AH and asks about putting together a budget system, it doesn't involve smart home integration and custom DAW-studio room treatments!
In today's economy, we're lucky to get a person out of Best Buy or Costco and looking at decent quality gear that still meets their budget.

You keep writing, incessantly, about how the hobby of Audio is suffering. Your perspective is that of a person whose annual income is well over a base 6-figure level.
The people you are talking about getting interested in Audio are not earning that kind of money! You are talking about people right out of school, saddled with debt, a starting salary in their field... probably having their first kid and at least 1 new car payment.
So who is your target, Jerry?
Are you suggesting that only the wealthy can actually be Audio Hobbyists? The Snobs and the Have-Nots? This hadn't been your message before, but clearly you have McMansions and the greens fees for exclusive Golf Clubs for brains.
Why don't you put yourself in the position of a family starting out, that can't just peel 15-Large off the top. We are talking the type of family that 2K makes the difference between paying the bills AND putting food on the table. But they saved up for something nice and can spend $2500 to get started... maybe even as much as $3500 if it makes a big difference.
C'mon, Jerry. How do you get them on board? How do you get them enrolled in the conversation?
Is it smart home integration and room treatments with an installer? Or is it a 3.1 system with a solid 4K TV and good entry level AVR + Blu Ray player that they can build on over the next few years? Throw in a streaming device if the TV isn't enough for them, maybe?

Please, lets talk about Audio for the would-be real middle class... Not your "middle class" of today...
(Last I heard, having a million in the bank didn't even make you a millionaire anymore. o_O :confused: :rolleyes: )

K

Kingslug

Enthusiast
The used market has some good stuff to start off with. Why pay full retail..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm not sure Jerry even knows what audiophile means sometimes. It's a person, not the gear. Kind of a silly way to describe gear what with many of the absolutely nutty "audiophiles" out there....it might just mean more silly than serious. At least with a price point limit perhaps it can be more reasonable gear....

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure Jerry even knows what audiophile means sometimes. It's a person, not the gear. Kind of a silly way to describe gear what with many of the absolutely nutty "audiophiles" out there....it might just mean more silly than serious. At least with a price point limit perhaps it can be more reasonable gear....
The word audiophile does seem to be used in ways that aren't really consistent with the meaning of the word. Merriam-Webster defines audiophile as "a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction."

In a sense, every system is a "budget" system of some sort. It might be easier to just refer to an audio system that best satisfies a particular buyer's needs for X dollars.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The word audiophile does seem to be used in ways that aren't really consistent with the meaning of the word. Merriam-Webster defines audiophile as "a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction."

In a sense, every system is a "budget" system of some sort. It might be easier to just refer to an audio system that best satisfies a particular buyer's needs for X dollars.
It is definitely an abused word these days....

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
For very high-fidelity at a very low price, I would be looking at certain studio monitors. JBL LSR, Kali LP series, PreSonus Eris E8 XT. I hope to be taking a look at some more soon to see what can be had for not a lot of cash.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For very high-fidelity at a very low price, I would be looking at certain studio monitors. JBL LSR, Kali LP series, PreSonus Eris E8 XT. I hope to be taking a look at some more soon to see what can be had for not a lot of cash.
In a way I think that's not what some of Jerry's articles are about....more about collecting esoteric electronics (vs being negated by a good dac implementation in an active speaker for the most part) let alone silly playback systems like vinyl.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's why we had to invent the word: "Audiophool" . :D
Or just keep using "audiophile" as if it defines something in particular....it just pisses me off to be used in so many different ways primarily for marketing to those who don't have even a clue as to the various meanings it may portray.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Seriously?
Jerry, do you ever see the criticism about your articles?

This is par for the course, though. Your first Receiver, at 14, was NAD?! When I was 16, my Dad bought an NAD Receiver and CD player for the house. I had a $150 dollar all-in-one Panasonic box. I had a separate component Sony CD player for my system.
I considered myself exceptionally fortunate, none of my friends had anything like I did. Regardless...

Your idea of budget systems... vs. everybody else idea of budget... is seriously skewed.

When somebody shows up here at AH and asks about putting together a budget system, it doesn't involve smart home integration and custom DAW-studio room treatments!
In today's economy, we're lucky to get a person out of Best Buy or Costco and looking at decent quality gear that still meets their budget.

You keep writing, incessantly, about how the hobby of Audio is suffering. Your perspective is that of a person whose annual income is well over a base 6-figure level.
The people you are talking about getting interested in Audio are not earning that kind of money! You are talking about people right out of school, saddled with debt, a starting salary in their field... probably having their first kid and at least 1 new car payment.
So who is your target, Jerry?
Are you suggesting that only the wealthy can actually be Audio Hobbyists? The Snobs and the Have-Nots? This hadn't been your message before, but clearly you have McMansions and the greens fees for exclusive Golf Clubs for brains.
Why don't you put yourself in the position of a family starting out, that can't just peel 15-Large off the top. We are talking the type of family that 2K makes the difference between paying the bills AND putting food on the table. But they saved up for something nice and can spend $2500 to get started... maybe even as much as $3500 if it makes a big difference.
C'mon, Jerry. How do you get them on board? How do you get them enrolled in the conversation?
Is it smart home integration and room treatments with an installer? Or is it a 3.1 system with a solid 4K TV and good entry level AVR + Blu Ray player that they can build on over the next few years? Throw in a streaming device if the TV isn't enough for them, maybe?

Please, lets talk about Audio for the would-be real middle class... Not your "middle class" of today...
(Last I heard, having a million in the bank didn't even make you a millionaire anymore. o_O :confused: :rolleyes: )
Agreed I mean I have 3 monoprice encore T6 towers in my room that can go flat to 20hz in that room for less then a 1000. 2 RSL subs your at 1900. Decent AVR your at 3500. Or so. And you could start out decent AVR 2 towers build around that. That's 2000. Start out with 2 of the Encore B6 bookshelves 2 RSL subs receiever build around that. RSL CG3's. Or the new active speakers as @shadyJ pointed out.

The mixing and matching possibilities are endless. Where audio has improved over the last 20 years is how affordable but well performing low to mid level gear has become. And how much it's narrowed the gap on that diminishing return from the higher end stuff

We've just got to get as you said the family that can start the budget around 2k 3k and build from there.

I've got a couple of friends I'm talking into the hobby and I'll be able to blow them away with just how affordable good sound can be

Last edited:
Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Unless I'm car shopping, $5000 and "budget" don't go in the same sentence.

J

jcarys

Audiophyte
NAD and Bryston are two expensive brands that should not be on the list for a budget audiophile system, as per the title of this thread. You can get good audio performance with a lot more affordable electronics.
Well, at $5K I could put together a system definitely with NAD. Their integrated amps are not expensive. Bryston is expensive, which is why we have the used market. An incredibly simple system would be a Bluesound Powernode and remote at $1K, and even budgetary extravagant speakers like the PSB B600 and stands $3400, and I'm still at the OP's budget. That is a thoroughly modern and simple system that would sound pretty great.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Well, at $5K I could put together a system definitely with NAD. Their integrated amps are not expensive. Bryston is expensive, which is why we have the used market. An incredibly simple system would be a Bluesound Powernode and remote at $1K, and even budgetary extravagant speakers like the PSB B600 and stands $3400, and I'm still at the OP's budget. That is a thoroughly modern and simple system that would sound pretty great.
The total price is out of what most people normally consider as a budget system.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis