How will this subwoofer perform? (details inside)

D

Defcon

Audioholic
Local seller has the following sub -

driver: Dayton DVC-385 (https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dvc385-88-15-dvc-series-subwoofer--295-190)
cabinet: ~4.5cu.ft sealed

He also has a iNuke3000 amp and minidsp for sale.

Looking for some opinions on how this would perform, how good is it compared to the usual ID subs (e.g. SB3000 , PSA S1510)

I know everyone prefers ported subs but if I don't listen at reference (max is -10mv) then does it matter. When I compare sealed/ported the sealed loses at port tune but has more mid bass and has room gain, correct?

My current sub is one of the older SVS cylinder models, it has a 12" driver, 350W amp. Will this be a upgrade? The price is good which is why I'm considering this.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Local seller has the following sub -

driver: Dayton DVC-385 (https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dvc385-88-15-dvc-series-subwoofer--295-190)
cabinet: ~4.5cu.ft sealed

He also has a iNuke3000 amp and minidsp for sale.

Looking for some opinions on how this would perform, how good is it compared to the usual ID subs (e.g. SB3000 , PSA S1510)

I know everyone prefers ported subs but if I don't listen at reference (max is -10mv) then does it matter. When I compare sealed/ported the sealed loses at port tune but has more mid bass and has room gain, correct?

My current sub is one of the older SVS cylinder models, it has a 12" driver, 350W amp. Will this be a upgrade? The price is good which is why I'm considering this.
Well I would have to model it. However according to the spec sheet the cabinet volume is twice as large as it should be. The cabinet is the volume a ported sub should be with this driver.

That is an old driver with very limited excursion for sealed application. So it will not really take the Eq required for sealed application. So to be any good I would have to model it, and you would have to port it.

If you are prepared to port it, I will model it for you. Otherwise it will not waste my time.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That looks like it will be on par with many of the 15"s that you can get from internet direct manufacturers. It may be a bit more powerful because of the Behringer amp. As TLS Guy says, it all depends on the cabinet though.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My current sub is one of the older SVS cylinder models, it has a 12" driver, 350W amp. Will this be an upgrade? The price is good which is why I'm considering this.
So the box is not optimal. The value then is in the driver which was on sale as low as $99.
The amp is suspect of high noise fan and questionable reliability. You say you already have a PC sub. I suspect that in current state this sub definitely won't be an upgrade. In fact, I doubt it would be an upgrade even if you build a proper vented 4.75 cu ft box for it.
Now, if you're serious about DIY, TLSGuy has some already mighty powerful projects you could work on or if you're in the mood of moving your and yours neighbor's walls around may I recommend to build one of Bill Fitzmaurice subs...

D

Defcon

Audioholic
I will get exact box dimensions, they may not be accurate. I tried to use WinISD, thats how you model subs right, but I gave up it was way too confusing for me.

I cannot do DIY, no tools, no space, no skills - I was considering the DIY kit with a 15" or 18" woofer otherwise.

My goal is to get a really good deal which will be a big upgrade. That's why I'm looking for used subs.

Zarkoff500

Zarkoff500

Enthusiast
What SVS model do you have? A really good deal that is a big upgrade from your currently very capable sub may be challenging. The PE UM 15 & 18 kits are great though you will need external amplification. For a significant upgrade, you may need two sealed 15's or one 18.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So the box is not optimal. The value then is in the driver which was on sale as low as $99.
The amp is suspect of high noise fan and questionable reliability. You say you already have a PC sub. I suspect that in current state this sub definitely won't be an upgrade. In fact, I doubt it would be an upgrade even if you build a proper vented 4.75 cu ft box for it.
Now, if you're serious about DIY, TLSGuy has some already mighty powerful projects you could work on or if you're in the mood of moving your and yours neighbor's walls around may I recommend to build one of Bill Fitzmaurice subs...
I checked out that site those Tuba subs are INSANE. That may be a route I'll have to pursue one of these days. You can build a TUBA Home Theater sub that hits +126 levels for $500? Holy S$!# that's insane. How good is that site lovinthehd guy? I also like the fact they have builders listed that can do it for you if you have no building skills.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I checked out that site those Tuba subs are INSANE. That may be a route I'll have to pursue one of these days. You can build a TUBA Home Theater sub that hits +126 levels for $500? Holy S$!# that's insane. How good is that site lovinthehd guy? I also like the fact they have builders listed that can do it for you if you have no building skills.
Sorry I don't know how I got your name wrong. Plead forgiveness? I just woke up when I texted that

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No problem. Bill has some good stuff, tho. Very knowledgeable guy.

D

Defcon

Audioholic
What SVS model do you have? A really good deal that is a big upgrade from your currently very capable sub may be challenging. The PE UM 15 & 18 kits are great though you will need external amplification. For a significant upgrade, you may need two sealed 15's or one 18.
I have the svs 25-31Pci.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis