How will facing sub into couch affect sound?

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm thinking of putting my subwoofer behind my couch and facing it (front firing) into the back of the couch. The logic is that it will make my couch vibrate and I'll really "feel" the bass. I don't have the budget for bass shakers. Will this make my movies and music sound muffled in the low end? Is it a bad idea?
Any other suggestions (the cheap kind, ~$50)?

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
Well, I have my yami right adjacent to my listening chair so that the port is aimed toward my chair and is about 24" away. It made a very noticable difference with movies. The overal dB didn't seem to change much but the close proximity of the second sub gave a great "feel" to explosions and whatnot...However, it seems to make music sound rather unbalanced so I turn it off for that and just run my main sub att he front of the room.

Brett

B

broberts

Enthusiast
I'd just move you subwoofer to the location you are suggesting and give it a listen for yourself. It's the only way to know if it will sound bad to you at that spot in your room. And if you don't like how it sounds, simply move it back to the previous location. That M&K isn't too terribly heavy. Cost: Free:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Going to sound bad, but it will definitely vibrate.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
j_garcia said:
Going to sound bad, but it will definitely vibrate.
I'm really looking for the best of both worlds. What if I add my old crappy 8" Jenson HTIB 100w sub and put it directly against the back of the couch and leave the 12" M&K where it is? How will running two different sized/quality/powered subs together sound?

B

bsheldon

Enthusiast
adding the jensen is only going to degrade you overall sound. I wouldn't do it. Best advise: expereiment. Try it you might like it. Many people run their subs behind their listening position. good luck.

B

bruin62

Full Audioholic
Bruin62

I just put one of my subs behind my seating an it seems to work great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis