How to use these speakers?

Y

Yun

Audiophyte
Hello, I've just settled into a new house where the previous owner left behind five wall-mounted speakers. Although the cables are already in place, these speakers seem to require a special central unit that isn't present here. I'm not sure how to proceed with them. Is there a way I could use them by buying additional equipment or maybe replacing them with speakers that can use the same cables? Unfortunately, I don't have details about their model. Alternatively, I would like them to be swapped out if I can use the same cables, not replacing the ones inside wall. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
20231124_081740.jpg
17008367138321016939606775137439.jpg
20231124_081621.jpg
17008364715011832985020709454960.jpg
17008365777183010613055295677871.jpg

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Wow, the previous guy left Bose cubes wired to RCA tipped cables. No conventional amp will accommodate RCA terminators for speaker cable. You need to cut the RCA tips off, strip the wire, and just use bare cable. But another problem is that those Bose cubes are expecting a Bose processor, so the system probably won't sound right without it (not that Bose cubes ever sounded right). I would replace the speakers with traditional speakers, and I would also re-wire everything, because I wouldn't trust any of the internal wiring that the previous guy left behind.

Y

Yun

Audiophyte
Thanks for responding. I believe I'll start by replacing the speakers. I'll remove the cable adapter and use the two wires as they are, attempting to connect them directly to the other speaker. It shouldn't be any issues. right?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for responding. I believe I'll start by replacing the speakers. I'll remove the cable adapter and use the two wires as they are, attempting to connect them directly to the other speaker. It shouldn't be any issues. right?
My advice is not to waste any time and money on that system. The speakers are in the wrong place.

I knew a guy up on Big Mantrap Lake in MN, who bought that exact system that I suspect was in that room. He did it after hearing my AV room. So he had a Bose installer put in that atrocious system with the speakers in the locations seen in your pictures. A very nasty "ponky" sub was also part of the system. Of course it sounded nothing like my AV room. Worse it all blew up after the warranty expired, and neither Bose or the installer wanted anything to do with it. My hunch is that the electronics were torn out a long time ago, after it all blew up.

Unfortunately, Bose the Charlatans they are deliberately design their stuff to be incompatible with anything else.

So I would scrap that whole design and start to build a properly designed and built system. If you let is know what your goals are we can help you.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If I had to guess, it was a Bose Acoustimass system based on the cubes, maybe the 10 Series II setup. Supplied cables were probably not long enough and Frankenstein cables were patched together to get RCA plugs to the bass module which powered the cubes.

While many are not fans of Bose systems, there are those that like them and used bass modules can be had for those cubes. The bigger issue here are the wires. Whatever speakers are ultimately chosen for the system, new wiring is a must for in wall installation.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn't look like in-wall rated speaker wire....look at Treb's link. Of course, the risk is on the low side but for insurance purposes.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Probably easy to sell the Bose stuff, it is very popular....

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you can swap the speakers, you will be far better off and will get better audio into the room. Make sure to keep any and all proprietary connectors which may go along with those speakers, and take a look at other speakers which may suit your needs better and work with a standard surround sound receiver. You have a zillion choices for standard speakers which will work well.

I would put in a double gang old work low voltage mud ring (Home Depot/Lowes) in the wall where all the wires are coming out, then drop in either a 5.1 wall plate or a double gang bullnose plate.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4012
or
After putting this into the wall properly...
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlon-2-Gang-Low-Voltage-Mounting-Bracket-SC200RR/202077405

This will clean things up some. I would probably look at cleaning up their sketchy connections at the walls as well.

If not going with really nice speakers, then the Monoprice in wall 8-inch 3-way speakers sound pretty darn good for the money and leave a pretty clean looking family room setup.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis