How to upgrade 5.1 surround system

J

Jeff1984

Audiophyte
I have a Yamaha 4920 surround sound in a box system I bought a few years ago. I want to start upgrading, but will have to break up my purchases in order to get the quality I want without blowing my budget. Aside from overall better sound quality, my biggest concerns are not being able to hear dialogue in movies and having my ears blown out during action scenes. I'm looking to upgrade my receiver to a Denon 3500, and speakers to Pioneer Andrew Jones series SP-PK52FS 5.1 package (or some Klipsch speakers, but then I'll have to break up the speaker purchases as well). Would it be better to start with the receiver, or the speakers for my particular issue?

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Jeff,
You can upgrade in any fashion you please. However, upgrading speakers first will give you an instant change in sound, which will definitely put a smile on your face. If I were in your position I think this is the route I would take.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Agreed. Speakers will definitely change your sound the most. What’s your budget? I might start by focusing on a great center channel and a subwoofer.

J

Jeff1984

Audiophyte
I'd like to keep my budget around $700-$800 at any one time with a few months in between purchases.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Unfortunately, I find that many movies mix the action scenes louder than the dialogue. I too fine myself reaching tor the volume control a bit more than I would like.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you start with speakers first... not a bad idea... but make sure the power and impedance match up. Some of those HTIB systems don’t give the best of either. ;)

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Well let's make it unanimous. Definitely Speakers first. ;)

Your Receiver model number is a RX-V379. The manual sort of gives power output for both 6 and 8 ohm (nominal) speakers. I was quite shocked at some of the "specs" given for the amplifier section from a Yamaha Manual. So use the conservative ones.

For 2 channels driven into 6 ohm load; 20 => 20,000 Hz; 70 W + 70 W for L&R Front Speakers (0.09% THD). They don't give any rating for all 5 channels driven, which is a shame. You should expect less power per speaker, the more channels driven, at the same distortion level. (0.09% THD).

I recommend you buy the 3 fronts speakers with you first installment if you are looking above the Pioneer Andrew Jones series SP-PK52FS 5.1 package). It's important that all three are the same speaker, or at least supplied by the manufacturer for use as Left -Center-Right (LCR) package. If you find something you like that's efficient (say like the CCB-8, at 94 dB / 1m / 2.83V in Half Space) your receiver will be able to drive them. Then I'd re-use you present speakers for the Surrounds and Sub until you replace them later. The Sub would be next, with surrounds last.

I have a pair of SP-BS22-LR Bookshelf Speakers for my computer setup, and they are amazing for the price. The SP-BS22-LR carries a 6-ohm load and has a sensitivity rating of 85 decibels. If one were to assume a 50 watt output from the RX-V379 for all 3 (using a SP-BS22-LR as the center) then output measured at about 10 feet would be 97 dB. Loud but only about half as loud as the CCB-8s mentioned above, who would output almost double the sound at over 106 dB. (A sound pressure increase of approximately 10 dB is considered as a doubling of the volume.)

The Floor Standing SP-FS52 Loudspeakers and SP-C22 Center-Channel Speaker have a bit better efficiency and should be about 99 dB. So if you bought the Pioneer Andrew Jones series SP-PK52FS 5.1 package without the Sub, it could be loud enough for you. I would certainly recommend a better sub (as would most folks here) instead of what comes in that package.

I just noticed you can buy the 5 Pioneer Andrew Jones series speakers on Amazon for $375 US Funds which is amazing. I know these were discontinued, but obviously there is still some stock around. I don't know of a better sounding package at that price. If you head down that road, you should consider putting the Floor Standing SP-FS52 Loudspeakers on small (~10 to 12 inch) stands to bring them up to ear level (when you are seated.)

Then you can start saving for the Sub with a $425 head start.

I hope this is helpful.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis