How to Skip Movie Trailers

J

James NM

Audioholic
Greetings.

Just found a video at CNET that shows how to skip movie trailers. Haven't tried it yet, but I have my fingers crossed. Basically, when the trailers start you grab your remote and push the stop button twice, followed by the play button. Here's hoping:

<object width="364" height="280"><param name="movie" value="http://www.cnet.com/av/video/flv/universalPlayer/universalSmall.swf" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="FlashVars" value="playerType=embedded&type=id&value=50084412" /><embed src="http://www.cnet.com/av/video/flv/universalPlayer/universalSmall.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="364" height="280" allowFullScreen="true" FlashVars="playerType=embedded&type=id&value=50084412" /></object>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Was that on a blu-ray or DVD? I didn't watch it yet.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
my method is a bit different, it involves ripping the dvd to my media pc and having the .iso set to jump to main menu :D

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
For forced BD trailers I've found for some you can just hit the pop up menu or top menu button and it will bypass all of them. If that doesn't work I just used the skip forward button (>>|) a few times. It's an irritant, but it's only a 20 second one at worst.

The reason this works is because, in the goodness of their hearts, the studios have mastered the DVDs so that the player stores a flag telling it whether or not it's already viewed the trailers. Once you hit that section, restarting the disc (provided you don't take it out) gets you past the previews.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
my method is a bit different, it involves ripping the dvd to my media pc and having the .iso set to jump to main menu :D
Yeah, I use DVDFab and I rip just the main movie so all the commercials are deleted.

Plus, my Blu-ray ISO files loads in about 3 seconds on my HTPC.

And when I stop a movie, it saves that exact spot for me to resume later.

So my $2,000 Denon BD player just sits there in envy collecting dust.:eek:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Was that on a blu-ray or DVD? I didn't watch it yet.
Won't work for blu-rays that have BD-J, since a player cannot "remember" where it was on these discs since the java fires up as soon as you put the disc in.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Won't work for blu-rays that have BD-J, since a player cannot "remember" where it was on these discs since the java fires up as soon as you put the disc in.
THAT is one of the things about Blu-ray that really pisses me off:mad: I hit stop by mistake halfway through the movie and have to start over again arrgggghhh:mad:

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
THAT is one of the things about Blu-ray that really pisses me off:mad: I hit stop by mistake halfway through the movie and have to start over again arrgggghhh:mad:
It's a regular and stupid irritance for me. My PS3 controller seems to have 2 buttons that are extremely sensitive, stop & eject. Just about anytime I set the other remote on top (dark and I'm not looking) or set it facedown one of those two buttons seems to get pressed. It was even worse when I'd put it in the cup holder on my elliptical, I finally made a special mount on the elliptical just for it so I didn't have to keep stopping and putting the movie back in.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
You're kidding me right!? BD players don't "remember" where the disc was if you press stop? I'm still on DVD, so I haven't experienced that "pleasure" yet. I can't believe such a glitch should be part of Blu-Ray!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You're kidding me right!? BD players don't "remember" where the disc was if you press stop? I'm still on DVD, so I haven't experienced that "pleasure" yet. I can't believe such a glitch should be part of Blu-Ray!
I believe it has something to do with the java that is used on some blu ray discs. You should however be able to set a bookmark so you can come back to that spot later.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
GlocksRock and I don't seem to have that problem with Blu-ray anymore.

We can stop a million times and resume exactly the same spot everytime.:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The benefits of Blu-ray far outweigh having to hit "chapter select" on my remote or setting a bookmark (one button press).

It's a regular and stupid irritance for me. My PS3 controller seems to have 2 buttons that are extremely sensitive, stop & eject. Just about anytime I set the other remote on top (dark and I'm not looking) or set it facedown one of those two buttons seems to get pressed. It was even worse when I'd put it in the cup holder on my elliptical, I finally made a special mount on the elliptical just for it so I didn't have to keep stopping and putting the movie back in.
You might consider getting the Blu-ray remote. They can be had very cheap these days.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've never had that issue with mine, but I also stopped using it since getting the Oppo. I've had that issue with other remotes though.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
GlocksRock and I don't seem to have that problem with Blu-ray anymore.

We can stop a million times and resume exactly the same spot everytime.:D
Maybe it is player specific. Some movies let you and others don't. I have 3 samsung players in the house and it's a gamble if you hit stop. However, you can just hit pause and even if it goes into screen saver you can come back the same same spot. I had unlearn what I have learned. :)

njedpx3

njedpx3

Audioholic General
Greetings.

Just found a video at CNET that shows how to skip movie trailers. Haven't tried it yet, but I have my fingers crossed. Basically, when the trailers start you grab your remote and push the stop button twice, followed by the play button. Here's hoping:

<object width="364" height="280"><param name="movie" value="http://www.cnet.com/av/video/flv/universalPlayer/universalSmall.swf" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="FlashVars" value="playerType=embedded&type=id&value=50084412" /><embed src="http://www.cnet.com/av/video/flv/universalPlayer/universalSmall.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="364" height="280" allowFullScreen="true" FlashVars="playerType=embedded&type=id&value=50084412" /></object>
Cool ! I will try it "stop" "stop" "play" - easy 3 key sequence.

Peace , Good Sound, and Good Video,

Forest Man

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis