How to setup power amp for subwoofer?

Y

yente06

Audiophyte
Stop spending money on this insanity! You don't know you even have a sub. Just because a speaker is 12" does not make it a sub driver. You can not build a box and call it a sub. You have to know or be able to measure the Thiel/Small parameters of the driver, and design and build the box specifically for that driver.

You need a lot of education before you go spending money. You are headed to poor money down the drain and get nowhere.
I know what I have is nowhere near perfect but up until by amplifier for the sub died, it sounded really good. I had a normal stereo system and added a DIY sub to it. I know you have to build the enclosure to spec, but I was handed the sub speaker for free, had some MDF laying around, and didn't know the specs. So I decided to just wing it just to see how it would sound. To my surprise, it actually sounded great, so I have been using that sub for 5 years now. And btw I do know it's a sub cause it looks like this (not the actual sub):
1620035873891.png

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I know what I have is nowhere near perfect but up until by amplifier for the sub died, it sounded really good. I had a normal stereo system and added a DIY sub to it. I know you have to build the enclosure to spec, but I was handed the sub speaker for free, had some MDF laying around, and didn't know the specs. So I decided to just wing it just to see how it would sound. To my surprise, it actually sounded great, so I have been using that sub for 5 years now. And btw I do know it's a sub cause it looks like this (not the actual sub):View attachment 47229
What he means by "actual sub" is a device that can reproduce bass frequencies below 20 hz. 20 hz is as low as humans can hear. Below that is where the "sub" part comes in.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What he means by "actual sub" is a device that can reproduce bass frequencies below 20 hz. 20 hz is as low as humans can hear. Below that is where the "sub" part comes in.
Actually it's just down to 20hz for the true sub thing. Infrasonics not so much, more about just covering the rest of the audible range that the woofer in most speakers couldn't (sub-woofer). :)

A pyle driver I wouldn't make a particular amp investment in, I'd probably just get a better sub with amp instead. (or build another box with t/s parameters and a real design with a better driver). A sub with the high level inputs would be nice for that old integrated amp, but would rather go with a modern avr and bass management....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis