How to set up and connect an old Harman Kardon ARV 330 (7.1) to a newer television?

J

Jason S

Audiophyte
My old Kenwood KRF-V6090D (6.1) gave up the ghost and I have inherited a Harman Kardon ARV 330 (7.1) to replace it. However I have to connect it to a newer television. What would be the best way to set this up for sound and vision? Please see attached the diagrams of both the back panels.
My assumption is:
AVR TV
Sound Coxaial In 1 SPDIF with a coaxial cable
Vision Component Video Monitor Outputs Component AV In with a component video cable

Would this work?
Is it the best option?
Are there converter boxes or the like that can covert it to a HDMI connection to the TV?

Jason

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The component video plus digital audio should work fine.

S

SMc

Enthusiast
Would this work?
Is it the best option?
Are there converter boxes or the like that can covert it to a HDMI connection to the TV?
It might be simpler to connect your HDMI devices directly to the new tv. Check the manual to see if it can pass multichannel over spdif to the receiver as some TVs will only do stereo.

Your plan seems okay. If you connect your players to the tv you’ll only need the receiver video for setup.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
It might be simpler to connect your HDMI devices directly to the new tv. Check the manual to see if it can pass multichannel over spdif to the receiver as some TVs will only do stereo.

Your plan seems okay. If you connect your players to the tv you’ll only need the receiver video for setup.
Just use digital to the avr and hdmi to the TV. I doubt his display would do anymore the Dolby 2.0 out.

S

SMc

Enthusiast
Just use digital to the avr and hdmi to the TV. I doubt his display would do anymore the Dolby 2.0 out.
The Kogan website says the coaxial digital output will pass 5.1 surround sound so HDMI to tv to receiver should be good, too.

The brand is new to me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Couple ways to skin the cat....might depend more on what his source connections are....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The Kogan website says the coaxial digital output will pass 5.1 surround sound so HDMI to tv to receiver should be good, too.

The brand is new to me.
If your sources have digital out, why not send it that way, one less piece in the chain. What model TV?

S

SMc

Enthusiast
If your sources have digital out, why not send it that way, one less piece in the chain. What model TV?
Because of video. Two connections means switching inputs for both the tv and the receiver for every change. I’d do the digital connections, too, in case there’s some advantage but would prefer the convenience of using the tv remote for source control.

It’s a Kogan tv. I think it’s Australian. Their website says they use the same panels the international brands do. OEM a la carte?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Because of video. Two connections means switching inputs for both the tv and the receiver for every change. I’d do the digital connections, too, in case there’s some advantage but would prefer the convenience of using the tv remote for source control.

It’s a Kogan tv. I think it’s Australian. Their website says they use the same panels the international brands do. OEM a la carte?
Fair point, but I'd allow macros to handle all that. 1 remote per person is my motto ;)

J

Jason S

Audiophyte

J

Jason S

Audiophyte
Sorry for the late response. The model Is Kogan KALED65UHDZA

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry for the late response. The dodel Is Kogan KALED65UHDZA
I'd connect all of your HDMI sources to the display and use optical from those sources to the Harmon Kardon

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis