How to open Early 70s Arvin Solid State Phonograph to fix speaker???

L

LDubs22

Audiophyte
Is this the right place to ask…
I recently inherited an Arvin Solid State Phonograph Model 10p-33-11 in Vintage Orange :D
The speaker doesn’t work so I want to take the top off in order to address it. How can I do this without breaking it?
Thank you for any advise!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well we might be able to help but your description is lacking....particularly for specific make/model of each component you have. Even then it may not help a lot. May be, and most likely IME, just too cheap to bother seeking repair rather than replacement (and even then wouldn't bother for much $$)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Is this the right place to ask…
I recently inherited an Arvin Solid State Phonograph Model 10p-33-11 in Vintage Orange :D
The speaker doesn’t work so I want to take the top off in order to address it. How can I do this without breaking it?
Thank you for any advise!
I think this is the piece of junk we are talking about?

Junk when it was new, and will always remain so. I can bet there will be nothing wrong with the speaker. The amp will be blown, and parts will be nowhere to be found.

If there are no screws to be found, them it was all glued together and a throw away item. That comes from an era known for the most execrable low end electronics in history. That was a time of the best and the worst of gear. That looks like something from the bottom rung of the ladder.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I found the Ebay ad where TLS Guy got the photo from. There do not appear to be any screw holes anywhere, top or bottom. Sometimes screws would be hidden under cover plates, but there is just the small plate around the volume control. Most likely that unit is either permanently glued shut, or the top snaps into the base. You can try and look for snaps using plastic picks and pry bars, but plastic tends to get brittle with age and the unit will very likely break. You can try if willing to have the case crack, but if it holds sentimental value I'd say it's best to leave as a display piece.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis