How to measure subwoofer performance?

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
Hi,

How can I measure the performance of a diy sub? Mostly low end extension and distortion. I should mention that the sub is in a room, how will that affect the results?

Thanks.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi,

How can I measure the performance of a diy sub? Mostly low end extension and distortion. I should mention that the sub is in a room, how will that affect the results?

Thanks.
First you need to invest in a measurement mic like the umik1 or umm6 and freeware like REW. From there you can do in room or outdoor ground plane measurements. Depending on what you want to do, we can point you in the right direction to start.

Y

yonyz

Audioholic
First you need to invest in a measurement mic like the umik1 or umm6 and freeware like REW. From there you can do in room or outdoor ground plane measurements. Depending on what you want to do, we can point you in the right direction to start.
I have acquired a UMIK-1. I’d like to do in room measurement.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You can try a close mic measurement. Place the mic a few inches away from the driver and run a sweep. That isn't a perfect measurement, there are caveats there, but it is a start, and it can give you an idea of the response. Here is some background on the technique. Hopefully your sub isn't ported.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis